Medium format vs 5d3 or D800

ptwong

Nov 10, 2003
Yishun
Quick question, I know digital backs for Medium format tend to be have a lot of megapixs. However for the older series like Mamiya 18mp, are they comparable to the newer dslr like 5d3 and D800? or the virtue of having larger sensors still win? I have tried googling for comparison between Pentax 645D vs 5d3, didn't really get a clear answer.... a lot of the review was done for 5d2.

my 8 year old p25 still outperforms D800 in terms of shadow recovery and noise level

when it comes to sensor size, size really matters. what you get from even an old M18 digital back is unparalleled dynamic range (so far) in comparison to even the latest DSLR sensor. what you sacrificed in return are high-ISO performance and shooting speed (and for most, flash sync speed unless you are willing to splurge on the latest MF cameras with leaf shutters) with a MF camera. so... what's ur need? :)

Its not just megapixels.
The DOF for the same FOV is different (just like its different between APS-C and FF)
The lens FL (and its inherent design characteristics) for the same FOV will be different. (eg. 35mm on a 645D is like a 28mm on 135, but the lens has the distortion characteristics of a 35mm (ie. less) than would a 28mm on 135 format)
Nature of working with MF is also different (usually slower) for the good and bad of it.

Imagining Resource has some samples :
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Last edited:
nightwolf75 said:
when it comes to sensor size, size really matters. what you get from even an old M18 digital back is unparalleled dynamic range (so far) in comparison to even the latest DSLR sensor. what you sacrificed in return are high-ISO performance and shooting speed (and for most, flash sync speed unless you are willing to splurge on the latest MF cameras with leaf shutters) with a MF camera. so... what's ur need? :)

I think it's more of an "itch" than a "need" ha.... Always wanted to learn more about MF esp for portraits... Always seemed more detailed and more character to it...