MediaCorp TVC Saving Gaia jittering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaryan

Mar 24, 2009
I just saw the new Saving Gaia tvc about a woman conserving electricity at what it seems like a normal HDB flat. It jitters..the woman's movement especially when she is going out of the house, jumped.

missing frames? jumping frames? i dont know.

This is the result of bad QC inspection of materials....Local tv standards have dropped to a pathetic level!

The exact problem is caused by people who don't understand video for television.
What happened is a mismatch of field dominance in their video....typically caused by filming with DV cameras, and not understanding the editing applications well enough.

Whoever is the post production company doesn't even have a broadcast grade monitor to monitor their video output.
If I was the station's QC engineer, I'd downright reject the material for transmission.

Last edited:
Yup.. saw it again. I thought I was mistaken. Sorry..no TIVO yet. I just have to see whether I did see right about the dropped frames.

I felt a bit awkward watching it actually, having seen the push for HD this and that by Mediacorp. I'm a tvc producer, so I don't miss a 'small' yet critical thing like that.:nono:

I was actually thinking about the shot in that commercial..treatment, lighting bla bla. Then the 'jerk' happened.

I second DXNMedia's thought. I usually ran thru the tvc with the producer/editor/QCC people at the station or even before that with the guys at my studio, before it is aired.

Just felt that 5 should have checked it tho.

I wonders, in the absence of a broadcast monitor, is it possible to test the finalised video using a normal tv? Or it will have a different result during broadcasting even though if we checked on normal, the quality seems to be ok? Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.

A normal CRT-type TV should show whether the field order is correct or not.

Wat about the hd lcd tv? Will is show whether it is in the correct field?

CRT TV works for this because it is an interlaced display.

LCD panel is progressive, so the TV will deinterlace the footage. What you see may may not obviously tell you that the field order is correct, depending on the deinterlacing method used. For example, if they just discard one field, you will not see any interlace problems so you would never know that the field order was wrong. If they use a smarter method, you might see more jittering, especially where there is a lot of movement in the video.

well..its nor the saving Gaia tvc now..the 'jittering' also happened in the sports@sg ad..go figure..:dunno:

it's wrong field dominance.. obviously from the capturing stage.. unfortunately most editors I worked with knows nuts how to do proper pull down or convert to a progressive workflow..

but then again, it's mediacorp, what can you expect~ :rolleyes:

Last edited:
CRT TV works for this because it is an interlaced display.

LCD panel is progressive, so the TV will deinterlace the footage. What you see may may not obviously tell you that the field order is correct, depending on the deinterlacing method used. For example, if they just discard one field, you will not see any interlace problems so you would never know that the field order was wrong. If they use a smarter method, you might see more jittering, especially where there is a lot of movement in the video.

So are you saying that the new LCD broadcast monitor won't detect the interlacing problem? And all programmes for broadcast should be check on a normal crt monitor? Hope to find more answers before investing on an LCD broadcast monitor. Thank you.

So are you saying that the new LCD broadcast monitor won't detect the interlacing problem? And all programmes for broadcast should be check on a normal crt monitor? Hope to find more answers before investing on an LCD broadcast monitor. Thank you.

You mentioned HD LCD TV, so that's what I was referring to. I don't have experience with LCD broadcast monitor. Hopefully it allows you to check field order but I suggest you confirm before buying.

It could be that they are shooting it with 5dmk2. converting 30fps to 25p or 50i for broadcast, might give the issue you're speaking about? wasn't really scrutinizing, so can't say for certain that it was a conversion issue.

yup.thanks bro jaeg for the lcd info, i was thinking of getting one too. got to 'fondle' a nice marshall at broadcast. btw..if the 5dmk2 were used in the ad, will it be safer for them to just conform to 30p rather than 24/25p? forgive my noobieness..

I saw that Marshall monitor too. The image quality was super, but I think the price is quite super as well!

yup.thanks bro jaeg for the lcd info, i was thinking of getting one too. got to 'fondle' a nice marshall at broadcast. btw..if the 5dmk2 were used in the ad, will it be safer for them to just conform to 30p rather than 24/25p? forgive my noobieness..

Don't think the local stations will receive transmission masters in 30P or 60i format....deliverable for broadcast is in 25fps or 50i for HD locally.. If you need to perform format/framerate conversions, it'll be pretty expensive especially for HD.

We are looking to upgrade our Standard Definition framerate converters to HD versions but the prices are just wayyyyyy to expensive... :(

as more ppl begin to adopt HD broadcast without understanding the difference between SD and HD you will see more and more jitters and interlacing problems. it doesnt mean that bigger is better.. you have to see your application, execution and deliverables as well.

Bottomline is... understand the system well. i have seen heard and witness many people saying stuff about HD that is so damn wrong.

HD = Hyped Definition

off topic a bit....I've got clients asking to shoot in HD when they just wanted a 320x240 web video to put on their website! :thumbsup:

HD = Hyped Definition

off topic a bit....I've got clients asking to shoot in HD when they just wanted a 320x240 web video to put on their website! :thumbsup:

Hope you also gave them surround sound! :)

surround sound is still okay.. wait till they ask for Dolby E.. that 1 i will salute them.

Status
Not open for further replies.