Media pass to a sport event, will u volunteer?

will u volunteer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

There is always two side to a coin... some may felt it's worth it some may not. I do have friends that are volunteers (with two E) in YOG. On the other hand I also have friends that are hired (paid) to shoot for companies participating in YOG.

At the end of the day... if you think it's worth your while to shoot for free, who is stopping you? :)

ah my bad. spelt wrongly.

but for me, its something i wanted to do bah. remember. i'm a student. i cant just say "lets go and work for YOG to take photos" i guess:think: probably my only way around this.
for me if i were to volunteer, i'll just do it. unless welfare sucks like nuts and they have totally no regard for my safety etc, then i might complain. other than that pretty much we shldnt be complaining.

its kinda like those who spent time doing reviews/writes guides here. they arent paid, they are volunteering. by the same argument, i can say if everyone was to write guides for free, who would write/buy photography books?

if u get the idea...

its different bah... different groups of people doing different stuff.

i think i need to draw a line between doing for free/volunteering.

the idea of volunteering
In general terms, volunteering is the practice of people working on behalf of others or a particular cause without payment for their time and services. Volunteering is generally considered an altruistic activity, intended to promote good or improve human quality of life, but people also volunteer for their own skill development, to meet others, to make contacts for possible employment, to have fun, and a variety of other reasons that could be considered self-serving.

i think this is the key difference. for free seems to be doing for a certain purpose/goal, while volunteering is more of a give back to society thing.

Last edited:
so... if i draw the line here...

volunteering for YOG. i'm contributing back to society, and i'm shooting an olympic game when i'm only 17.

vs

working for free shooting a D&D for a corporate company which didnt budget for photographers.

i think u see where i'm going. my emphasis is on the word volunteer rather than work for free. hope ya all understand where i'm coming from

yea. that was more of a mistake. anyways it was a lucky draw. not something promised.

the real meaning behind volunteering, is to volunteer and give back to society.

seems like people are starting to forget the very essence of it and are demanding a lot. thats why when i hear yog volunters whine, i feel sick abt them.

Exactly! As a YOG volunteer photographer myself, I've made lots of wonderful friends like you. :D

its kinda like those who spent time doing reviews/writes guides here. they arent paid, they are volunteering. by the same argument, i can say if everyone was to write guides for free, who would write/buy photography books?

OT: Actually some do get "paid" for writing guide in their blog (but it's another topic altogether).

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally do FOC works for non-profit organistation (such as children or old-folks home) as well. Taking it as my way of giving back to the society. However at the end of the day, photographers do have family to feed as well. Hence there is always a line that we need to draw.

PS: Not all non-profit organistation are cash-scrap...

OT: Actually some do get "paid" for writing guide in their blog (but it's another topic altogether).

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally do FOC works for non-profit organistation (such as children or old-folks home) as well. Taking it as my way of giving back to the society. However at the end of the day, photographers do have family to feed as well. Hence there is always a line that we need to draw.

PS: Not all non-profit organistation are cash-scrap...

tats why i'm saying its voluntary rather than free labour. i drew the line between giving back to society vs being made use as free labour for organisation's own profit making.

Give you free media pass for F1 will you take?

Access to trackside photo positions BUT NO Access to starting grid/pitlane/paddock club.

Access to trackside photo positions BUT NO Access to starting grid/pitlane/paddock club.

Oh-ho-ho! I'm a sucker for this one.... HELL YA!!! Given the opportunity, I'd take it once or twice... after that, no more.

Last edited:

ah! erm.. hmmm... tempting. but seeing that i work for F1 during the season in singapore i'll give it a pass LOL

well i do have a mug that's expandable from 70ml (for espressos) to 200ml (for lattes) :bsmilie:

And you rotate to expand it, without the exterior of the mug getting larger.

well i do have a mug that's expandable from 70ml (for espressos) to 200ml (for lattes) :bsmilie:

Does it have OS? It will help with extra froth... :bsmilie:

Seriously, you got company business during F1 races? Or are you really there as a cohee boy?

Last edited:
Unfortunately F1 accreditation is the hardest to get!

Usually requires the photographer to be a full time professional shooting for a motorsports magazine (that focuses on primarily on F1) or news agency. SPH only gets 2 photographer vests.

Unfortunately F1 accreditation is the hardest to get!

Usually requires the photographer to be a full time professional shooting for a motorsports magazine (that focuses on primarily on F1) or news agency. SPH only gets 2 photographer vests.

the other alternative is to fork out $3k and get a sweet spot :D

Yes. Spent on a specific seat in Turn 2 A2 Row 20 last year.

5024702241_91d8fea2e4.jpg

Last edited:

If I wanna shoot, I don't find it fun sticking to just one location (3 grand or not)... Unless I've been a pro for years and slacking it off is just part of the work routine I'm used to... :bsmilie: