Matt Photo Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

kueko

Feb 21, 2002
www.kuekophotography.com
Anyone know where i can send my prints for printing with matt finishing, those you see on wedding albums. It's different from the normal photo lab. I think they call it lamination, it gives a little "canvas" like finish to the print. Will appreciate if someone can recommend a lab and how much it cost for a 4R or 6R print. Thanks!

hmmm.... i think i have seen this thing before, not at a photo shop, but at an art shop in Shanghai.

Basically, the shop was selling movie pictures (sized very suspiciously like DVD covers) that was printed using an inkjet and then laminated - the lamination had textures on it, thereby giving it the "canvas" or "cloth" look, but if you look closely, you can clearly see the plastic layer.

Is that what you are looking for?

Maybe should try those stationery shops to see if they have the textured laminating plastics.

Originally posted by kueko
Anyone know where i can send my prints for printing with matt finishing, those you see on wedding albums. It's different from the normal photo lab. I think they call it lamination, it gives a little "canvas" like finish to the print. Will appreciate if someone can recommend a lab and how much it cost for a 4R or 6R print. Thanks!

I think you are refering to 'Cold Lamination'. This is the norm which wedding photography centre provide nowadays. It's not really like canvas.. I think it feels more like plastic. Infact it's fairly easy to do it. They just print the prints using inkjet printer and laminate in using Cold Lamination. Bingo! That's the reason why they can afford to slash their price so low that alot of photographers are losing their job!

kueko, the lab I visit provide this kind of service. Basically, the photos are printed in Glossy paper and they are laminated to the kind of finish that you have described - something like a super matt finish, which you see on many wedding photographs.

The advantages of having this kind of lamination is that it will prolong the life of the photograph. The colour will not fade with time, and lastly, this kind of lamination is water-proof and scratch-proof.

The lab I am mentioning here is Stanley Lim Colour Centre. It is located at 122, Middle Road, #02-03 Midlink Plaza. You can call them at 6338 2367 to find out more.

They charges about $1 for lamination on 4R prints. They will reduce the price to as low as $0.50 when you laminate more than a certain number of 4R prints, think it's 10 or 20.

BTW, I'm not working for them.:D

You might want to try FotoElite at The Adelphi.
Recently I did mine there, but I'm not sure it is the one you're looking at. But anyway, I find the laminations looks very close to the those what I've seen in wedding dinner.
Hope this will help. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.