Marina Barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the words guys. Ouch, looks like its a really long way. I did think of going there by the shuttle but the shuttle service ends pretty early. LOL.

Went there last night with some buddies.

DSC_3980_05.jpg

DSC_3986_06.jpg

Very nice picture. how wide is these shot?

Thanks for the input,
Noted, night photography section. My bad, didnt search properly
-was using a tripod, maybe not stable enough?
-f16~22, hmmm never considered that.
-ISO was set at 200
- mostly 15 sec exposure, was using a CPL though to reduce the reflection off the water, maybe not a wise choice.

Try not to stop down on DSLR more than F16. F16 is as small as you want to go on aperture. We usually do F8-F11. If we want longer exposure times, we will use ND filters to lower the amount of light entering the camera. If your aperture is too small on a Digital SLR, you get some sort of distortion called small aperture diffraction.

You can read up on small aperture diffraction here.

What you want to do in night long exposure photography is:

1. lower your ISO as much as possible (ISO100 for me)
2. aperture around F8-F11
3. Tripod mount.
4. White balance on Manual
5. Manual focus on lens.
6. Use remote shutter trigger (wired or wireless)
7. Use M mode and Bulb mode a lot.
8. ND and GND filters.
9. If you want to remove reflections, CPL use is ok but remember it lowers the exposure by 1.5 to 2 stops. So adjust your shutter speed accordingly. Usually, for night long exposure, we actually like the reflections. It gives the water character.

Last edited:
Try not to stop down on DSLR more than F16. F16 is as small as you want to go on aperture. We usually do F8-F11. If we want longer exposure times, we will use ND filters to lower the amount of light entering the camera. If your aperture is too small on a Digital SLR, you get some sort of distortion called small aperture diffraction.

You can read up on small aperture diffraction here.

What you want to do in night long exposure photography is:

2. aperture around F8-F11
3. Tripod mount.
4. White balance on Manual
5. Manual focus on lens.
6. Use remote shutter trigger (wired or wireless)
7. Use M mode and Bulb mode a lot.
8. ND and GND filters.
9. If you want to remove reflections, CPL use is ok but remember it lowers the exposure by 1.5 to 2 stops. So adjust your shutter speed accordingly. Usually, for night long exposure, we actually like the reflections. It gives the water character.

Thank bro for your advises, i hope to find some time to go down and re-shoot with all the advise from you guys.
I was using the CPL to reduced the light reflection coming from the bridge.

QUOTE]

good tips! :thumbsup:

just an extra note, set your iso to your camera's base iso, different camera will have different base iso, for d90 is 200, do not use those L0.3, L0.6, or L1.0 (iso 100 equivalent).

Status
Not open for further replies.