manual focus "glass" for E-510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viewwing

Nov 6, 2006
North
Dear bros...

have anyone come across those "split" glass type focussing glass (which we had when we were all using manual focus camera) that fits the E-510... been having some fustration with it in low light... and the viewer without the "split" scene isn't helping... using liveview is also not a perfect solution...

Anyone knows? i saw some for E-500 in ebay... do those work? and how do i get them installed??:sweat:

Maybe wanna check OP? Don't know if they have.

What you're talking about is called a "Focusing Screen" and there has been lots written about it in this forum already...do a search.

Google KATZ split prism focusing screens. They are the best so far, but they are not cheap. Cheers.

Thank you thank you. :D

You are welcome. It does pay to search through the threads and read up more about earlier discussions on using these split prism focusing screens.

i understand from previous thread that if i changed the focusing screen it does not affect the metering base on the theory of the light path from the picture mike posted.

However, i called olympus to check if they had came up with any legitimate split screens... apparently its not in the pipeline yet... after checking with their boss their reply was "Changing the focusing will result in wrong metering, so we do not advise it. And our technicians will not assist to install 3 party focusing screen"

i'm just curious why they are saying that... so i just want to check with you guys on whether that is true again...

i understand from previous thread that if i changed the focusing screen it does not affect the metering base on the theory of the light path from the picture mike posted.

However, i called olympus to check if they had came up with any legitimate split screens... apparently its not in the pipeline yet... after checking with their boss their reply was "Changing the focusing will result in wrong metering, so we do not advise it. And our technicians will not assist to install 3 party focusing screen"

i'm just curious why they are saying that... so i just want to check with you guys on whether that is true again...

Yes, metering will only be accurate in center weighted mode and ESP/spot modes will be affected. This is caused by the split prism that will affect the light reading.

Yes, metering will only be accurate in center weighted mode and ESP/spot modes will be affected. This is caused by the split prism that will affect the light reading.

Spot also? so after its swap there will be some "compensation" needed... is it consistent? meaning i can use +ev to do compensation for this? else i'll have to work harder on my manual mode for everything... quite bad at it during day shooting still... :sweat:

Sigh... else its to really depend on the "all seeing eye" or submit to the E3 virus... lol

Spot also? so after its swap there will be some "compensation" needed... is it consistent? meaning i can use +ev to do compensation for this? else i'll have to work harder on my manual mode for everything... quite bad at it during day shooting still... :sweat:

Sigh... else its to really depend on the "all seeing eye" or submit to the E3 virus... lol

Spot becomes inaccurate after swapping to a split prism focusing screen. If you are using an E-3, you don't really need a split prism focusing screen, it is just a matter of getting used to. But of course, on the smaller VF on non pro models, it might be a different case with slower lenses for manual focusing.

But it is all about getting used to, really, because you have live view to help you too.

Personally, I have removed and sold the split prism. The metering "compensation" always throw me off.

Spot becomes inaccurate after swapping to a split prism focusing screen. If you are using an E-3, you don't really need a split prism focusing screen, it is just a matter of getting used to. But of course, on the smaller VF on non pro models, it might be a different case with slower lenses for manual focusing.

But it is all about getting used to, really, because you have live view to help you too.

Personally, I have removed and sold the split prism. The metering "compensation" always throw me off.

Thanks for sharing bro, the thought of compensation also isn't very attractive to me... maybe i should look at getting a adapter for the view finder instead. thanks for the good tips and info

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing bro, the thought of compensation also isn't very attractive to me... maybe i should look at getting a adapter for the view finder instead. thanks for the good tips and info

What really helps if you want to really use manual focusing, based on my own experience, is to get the VA-1 varifinder for the camera. Why? Because (1) the VA-1 does somehow amplify the light because of the superb prism used in it, and (2) it has a little switch that gives you 2x magnification for manual focusing/macro. This is a more sensible way to go. Don't have to change the focusing screen and screw up your metering. And the VA-1 gives you the "waist level" shooting angle which is especially flattering when shooting your typical "schoolgirl" models. (Models wannabes) as they are usually very short.

What really helps if you want to really use manual focusing, based on my own experience, is to get the VA-1 varifinder for the camera. Why? Because (1) the VA-1 does somehow amplify the light because of the superb prism used in it, and (2) it has a little switch that gives you 2x magnification for manual focusing/macro. This is a more sensible way to go. Don't have to change the focusing screen and screw up your metering. And the VA-1 gives you the "waist level" shooting angle which is especially flattering when shooting your typical "schoolgirl" models. (Models wannabes) as they are usually very short.

Great advise bro :) i do a search for that now thank you!

This is the VA-1 that I am talking about.

Click on image to see product details. Cheers.

By the way, right angle finders, like the VA-1 are simple gadgets. What makes them expensive is the prism used in there. And you get what you pay for. There are many 3rd party right angle finders out there, but trust me, you are wasting your time with them. Moreover, the mounting to the viewfinder is not good for the 3rd party ones and you will be very frustrated using them in no time. I have tried almost all the right angle finders out there and the VA-1 is tops. Unless you are talking about the very expensive custom models, and those comes close to $1k. But their prisms are even better and brighter. But unlike the VA-1, after sales warranty can be a real pain since they are custom made in countries like Czech Republic.

This is the VA-1 that I am talking about.

Click on image to see product details. Cheers.

By the way, right angle finders, like the VA-1 are simple gadgets. What makes them expensive is the prism used in there. And you get what you pay for. There are many 3rd party right angle finders out there, but trust me, you are wasting your time with them. Moreover, the mounting to the viewfinder is not good for the 3rd party ones and you will be very frustrated using them in no time. I have tried almost all the right angle finders out there and the VA-1 is tops. Unless you are talking about the very expensive custom models, and those comes close to $1k. But their prisms are even better and brighter. But unlike the VA-1, after sales warranty can be a real pain since they are custom made in countries like Czech Republic.

You caught me right in my tracks! :bsmilie: how i guess most singaporeans are like that hor... look for alternative then end of the day... the rule of "buy it cheap, buy it twice" comes back...

i was looking at some weird looking flip model and was wondering how can a movable join be able to secure light... and the angel fixed... can't believe it... now that u said it. There's only 1 choice :) and it can be used on all E systems... hee which makes it a great investment even for the future. :thumbsup: Kudos to u bro!

You caught me right in my tracks! :bsmilie: how i guess most singaporeans are like that hor... look for alternative then end of the day... the rule of "buy it cheap, buy it twice" comes back...

i was looking at some weird looking flip model and was wondering how can a movable join be able to secure light... and the angel fixed... can't believe it... now that u said it. There's only 1 choice :) and it can be used on all E systems... hee which makes it a great investment even for the future. :thumbsup: Kudos to u bro!

You are most welcome. Just wanted to make sure your money is well spent. Spent once, that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.