Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

Managers, what if you got retrenched?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am trying to hold out until after Chinese New Year. it's very difficult to endure as it's a video rental shop. I mean how many people rent VCD and DVD these days? More than 80% of my customers on record has not rented anything for 2008. Economy downturn should see more folks stay home and watch movies, but only the older folks rent videos, the new generation goes BT download.

hmm... I got a friend doing the same line as you. He got a shop in Yew Tee.

I think your business can benefits from a CRM system. but cost $$$

Side track a bit... Actually, my friend who is in IT applied for a grant with Spring Singapore on my behave, under some SME scheme, so he can sell me more HW+SW with the grant. During the interview, the lady from Spring pointed out that the business has not been making money. Why should they give me a grant? I told them if my was making money, I won;t need their grant. Got $5,000 from Spring that my friend promptly upgraded the HW in the shop. I won't be eligible for another Spring grant for another 2 years. Not that $5,000 is going to give me a world class CRM nor pay for the consulting and rollout of salesforce.com

hmm... I got a friend doing the same line as you. He got a shop in Yew Tee.

I think your business can benefits from a CRM system. but cost $$$

Indeed, I am troubled with what to do with the staff. I think I really need more muscle, logistic and scheduling skills for food business besides food preparation. Current video staff would be a bad fit for food business. One of the girls told she would not do low class work like food business; I dunno to feel sorry for her or to feel sorry for myself.:dunno: I think I aged 10 years between 2007 and now.

Tough decision to make man. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. In this case to cut your loses and run. At least if you are still able to control it in a sense that you are able to plan the time and manner to do it is better then when it come unexpectedly ..even to you then that would be a really tough place to be in.

All thos "doom & gloom" overcast isn't really helping in employment...

Govt says spend....media says more bad times ahead. Perhaps too much forecasted media....so why should people spend?......If dun say anything and worst comes....hmm catch 22 situation here.

Anyway - what to do if retrenched?.....re-evaluate:
- What I want out of life? What's important?
- What are family needs?

Also - talk to family. Generally men tend to internalise the problems and put more stress on themselves (feeling a failure if they're not bringing in the bread). Women tend to discuss thru the issues and come to compromises.

why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
simple right

er.. not true lah.. these days retrenchment isn't about being able to work or not. If they think your seat is not needed... it gets nipped off.

Especially for bigger companies, whole divisions from Head to toe can get nipped off.

holly molly! my sincere... um.... best wishes to you mate. :(

200 kena axed... how big was your work force man... don't tell me now left only boss and secretary :bsmilie:

he works in a big institution.. i'm surprised they axed ppl but not on the papers... :think: but then again.. maybe he changed jobs and I haven't updated myself with CS for a long time

Anyway - what to do if retrenched?.....re-evaluate:
- What I want out of life? What's important?
- What are family needs?

Also - talk to family. Generally men tend to internalise the problems and put more stress on themselves (feeling a failure if they're not bringing in the bread). Women tend to discuss thru the issues and come to compromises.
yes mam! Aunti mam!

Yes and if you're stressed and want a major fall out with your wife, then telling her (in the heat of the moment) "Why don't you be the bread winner and I'll stay at home....."

You'll do good in creating resentment. Women don't forget an unacceptable lashing!

men of ur era... :think:

Women don't forget an unacceptable lashing!

now too early for such a private topic... :p

must have been a little too harsh that time... :devil:

Last edited:
Thats all they remember!!!! KPKB...............

Not necessarily.....but when tempers are flaring......and you're "rubbing each other up the wrong way"........you'll never remember what you shot off....but she will remember date, time and location. Need to sort that one out so that she can forget about it and move on. It's unresolved in her head. Humility and an apology will go a long way. :)

Things are always good in the good times, but the test of your relationship will be known in the rough times......

Last edited:
Well this is the modern age, alot of the old rules does not apply anymore. There would be a time where having just one skill would be enough to get you thru your career till you retire but as jobs goes now, we have to be able to see beyond that....sometime not just 2 or 3 but 4 or more job skills.

It no longer just about doing it "generally" well but being familair with it in depth as well. With each leap in technology new jobs are born but there is the sad fact that alot more gets lost. Replaced.

Each generation that joins the workforce bring a little bit more to the game table thus those already at the game table with nothing more to offer besides what they know, will be called out.

That's what I mean by useful to other companies. You can be master of WoW in your current position BUT it may mean nothing to the other companies. Depth in the wrong area is no use. No depth in all areas is no use. Depth in needed area is good. Depth in many areas , easier said than done, is very good.

i would say if at all this happens ..

take this as an opportunity and get into something which you always wanted to do...its difficult but then i feel it would be a better option

not what you did just to make ur living .

Women don't forget an unacceptable lashing!

Neither would I forget it while I thoroughly enjoy giving it..... :devil: .......Time, Place, Date, Reason why, what show was on tv that day or night, how many times she did it and why she still doing it...etc.

Why should men be always the one who is thought to be the insensitive or illogical brute of a creature whenever man and woman have an argument. There are just as many if not more unacceptable lashing by women towards men and the problem is...they know they can get away with it even if they are at fault. So to keep the peace we man have to "learn" to accept that? hehe Not this old man. :sticktong

That's the problem with this new world we live in and I agree with a political comedian Bill Maher when he joke about "The pussification of the modern male".

Want equal rights between sexes? Well....then everything, I do mean everything should work both ways.

Sorta like working life. Boss Vs Staff. Corporation Vs the Mom & Pop stores .eg... If we understand how each of our role plays in the scheme of things maybe there will be less bad economy and retrenchment will no longer be the first knee jerk reaction to save a business. :sweat:

That's just my rant....

Status
Not open for further replies.