Managed to get my SDM working again

pscion12

Jan 28, 2004
Hi Guys,

It has been a long time since I posted and participated in the board.

My da* 16-50 stopped working for the past few months, I was quite bummed out coz I like to use the lens.

I sent the lens to the Pentax service center and was told it was sent to Japan to be checked. I was subsequently told that the circuit board needs to be replaced, motor was gone or something and the price was quite high. So I collected back the lens and I considered converting the lens to screw-drive, I don't mind what drive it runs on as long as it worked. Unfortunately the cameras that I have is not suitable to do conversion on (K3, K-01).

I almost gave up till I came across this http://bangmedia.no/pentax/sdmfix/ I saw this before (somewhere) but I only tried it now because I thought I have nothing to lose. I opened up the mount, jiggled the sdm motor abit, put everything back, mount the lens and press the shutter button. There was a whirr and the lens started focussing again, my lens started working again!

I'm super happy that it worked again but I'm also a bit pissed that sending it to the service center did nothing.

Anyway, just posting this just in case, if you guys want to try it out. There is no guarantee that it'll work but if you think that there is nothing to lose and you want to take the risk, you can give it a try.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GOOD JOB DONE.

OTC

It's a temporary fix of the SDM problem. Best is to convert it to non SDM driven, then you'd have peace in mind for a long time :) And the lens focuses quite a bit fast without going through SDM :)

It's a temporary fix of the SDM problem. Best is to convert it to non SDM driven, then you'd have peace in mind for a long time :) And the lens focuses quite a bit fast without going through SDM :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: