Man Utd XV: A New lifeline ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the game against Pool again.
Man u's defence was not very cohesive but im impressed with Tyler Blackett. Very cool collected youngster. Big future.

Herrera was losing balls quite often. Looks like he's burnt out. Quite worrying only after 5 matches.

Think Van Gaal should able to tune him into shape ... anyway season have yet to start ... better to peak over time instead of now...

Seems like many British tabloids are more or less confirming Rooney as the new captain for possibly the next season.

Very strategic for Louis van Gaal to pass forward the responsibility of wearing the captain's armband onto Rooney. Not only able to pressure him but also for every match lost, minus £10,000 per week off his salary for his next contract? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Bro Melvin, would you like to have the honour of starting a thread for the new season under the new manager? ;-)

Was thinking of doing so when seasons starts ... Bro not necessary me la... anyone of us can start ... whats for the title?

Comeback kings as usual come back from 3-2 Halftime... good to see scholes scoring again!

Legends: Bayern Munich 3 United 3

Manchester United's Legends drew 3-3 with their Bayern Munich counterparts in front of a packed crowd at the magnificent Allianz Arena.
Andy Cole scored twice, with his second arriving late on, before the referee ended proceedings on 85 minutes to spare the veterans' ageing legs.

United controlled the early stages and deservedly went in front when a superb move, including some fine skills by Dwight Yorke, ended with Lee Martin whipping the ball in from the right and Cole supplied the finishing touch past Hans-Jorg Butt.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Bayern's immediate response saw Paulo Sergio tucking past Tomasz Kuszczak from Giovane Elber's scooped pass. After the Bayern goalscorer sent an overhead kick wide, Elber rode a Martin challenge to steer in after Alexander Zickler powered his way past Ronny Johnsen.

The oldest player involved, 62-year-old Paul Breitner, made way on 25 minutes after performing well and his replacement, Maurizio Gaudino was immediately caught in possession by Dwight Yorke, who teed up Paul Scholes for a simple tap-in with his left foot.

Although Kuszczak denied Paulo Sergio, Zickler regained the advantage for the hosts when the Polish keeper was left hopelessly exposed. Bayern benefited from having a larger squad and were able to make a number of substitutions and they were in the ascendancy for times in the second half.

Nonetheless, skipper Scholes dragged a great opening wide from Quinton Fortune's cute pass and Cole was thwarted by Butt before appealing for a penalty after going down in a challenge with the keeper. Paulo Sergio and Harald Cerny could have put the game beyond the Reds but, instead, Jesper Blomqvist fired in a cross from the left that resulted in a predatory finish at the near post by Cole.

The officials called time early but everybody will have been extremely pleased with the entertainment on show with more of the same expected in the return game at Old Trafford next year.

Bayern starting XI: Butt; Babbel, Pflugler, Kreuzer, Kovac; Thon, Breitner, van Bommel, Paulo Sergio; Elber, Zickler.

United: Kuszczak; Martin (Robson 72), Johnsen, Dublin, Irwin (Thornley 72); Fortune, P.Neville, Scholes, Blomqvist; Cole, Yorke. Sub not used: Silvestre.

Comeback Legends

Shaw targeting the title

Luke Shaw cannot wait to run out at Old Trafford as a Manchester United player for the first time as he targets Barclays Premier League glory with his new club.
The 19-year-old is set to face Valencia on Tuesday night in the final fixture before the campaign starts on Saturday against Swansea City.

"As a kid, it’s a dream to play at Old Trafford," he told MUTV. "It’s one of the biggest arenas in the world, you would say.

"To know it’s going to be my home ground is something special. I can’t wait to get my first touch on the pitch just to relish it."

When asked if everybody must be feeling positive after a fine pre-season, Shaw insisted regaining the title is on the players' agenda after a disappointing campaign last time out.

"You have got to be positive and, for me personally, I have come here to win trophies," he asserted. "It is something everyone wants, not just me. Everyone in that dressing-room is looking to do it.

"We want to win the Premier League. Obviously there is no Champions League for us this season so the main focus is on the Premier League and we all cannot wait to get started."

Louis van Gaal has had Valencia scouted ahead of the REUNITED14 friendly and the Reds will certainly not be treating the match against the Emirates Cup winners lightly. The fans will be expecting the perfect start to their first sighting of the Dutchman's new-look system on home turf and the meticulous planning can only be of benefit.

"Every game is serious," explained the teenager. "We want to improve as a team and the way we can do that is going into the game properly by using the scouts to discover what they are like and see how we are going to play against them. I think it will help us.

"The main thing is obviously the first Premier League game against Swansea for the first match of the season, but we want to keep improving as a team and getting used to the formation so we will be flying when the season starts."

Positive team

Great to see the lads in such a high positive mindset.

Transfer news: Louis van Gaal hails Angel Di Maria as he hints at signing a winger.

Louis van Gaal says he will only bring in new players when he needs to but has admitted that Manchester United are lacking a winger of Angel Di Maria’s class.

United have been heavily linked with a move for Real Madrid’s Argentina international, as well as Fiorentina’s Colombian wide man Juan Cuadrado.

And Van Gaal has indicated it is this position that he will look to address before the transfer window closes, suggesting that his current squad is not very well balanced.

Vice-chairman Ed Woodward has insisted this summer that United are prepared to spend heavily and even break the world record, but Van Gaal feels it is most important to bring in the right players.

Asked about Woodward’s comments, he said in the Sunday Mirror: “It is a strategy of Manchester United to do that. At this moment, we have five No.9s and four No.10s – and we don’t have wingers to give us attacking width.

“Or, I should say, we don’t have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary.”

Van Gaal left his role as Netherlands manager to come to Old Trafford and a number of the players he took to the World Cup are reported to be possible targets, including Ajax’s Daley Blind.

He said: “If they are at the level I want them to be, then I will sign Dutch players. Nationality isn’t something that concerns me.

“But Dutch players are usually cheaper than players of other nationalities and they have usually been very well educated in the Netherlands, I believe.

“But they have to be of a level than can play well in the English Premier League. You have to ask if that is the case with every player.

Latest Transfer News

Trio set to miss Valencia friendly

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has appeared to rule World Cup trio Adnan Januzaj, Marouane Fellaini and Robin van Persie out of Tuesday's friendly against Valencia.
The Dutchman will walk out at Old Trafford for the first time as Reds boss and is anticipating a tough test against the Spanish outfit.

"The players have to be fit and the first thing you can do is be fit," he explained to MUTV. "I don't think they are fit after one week of training sessions. Surely not, when you compare it with players I have already trained.

"It is more difficult as they are not as the same level as the players we have trained already and have already played 45 minutes, 60 minutes or 90 minutes. So that is difficult. They came later, like Januzaj, Fellaini and van Persie so it is difficult to start at the same level. So we have to adjust and that is difficult."

Valencia come into the match in good form themselves after winning the Emirates Cup recently.

"They have also won a tournament in Emirates Stadium," added van Gaal. "They are very good. I think, otherwise, they would not beat those competitors. It's very difficult for us but it's better to play against good opponents rather than weak opponents and we win, for example, 7-0."

1week training = not fit

Last edited:
Last friendly and Van Gaal first home game.

Reunited14
UNITED V VALENCIA
13 August, 2014 2:30:00 am GMT+8

So its Official Rooney got the armband and Fletcher is the deputy.

Wayne Rooney named Manchester United captain

Louis van Gaal has announced that Wayne Rooney will become the new team captain of Manchester United, with Darren Fletcher as vice-captain.
Louis van Gaal said: "For me it's always very important the choice of captain. Wayne has shown a great attitude towards everything he does. I have been very impressed by his professionalism and his attitude to training and to my philosophy. He is a great inspiration to the younger members of the team and I believe he will put his heart and soul into his captaincy role.

"Darren Fletcher will become the vice-captain. Darren is a natural leader and will captain the team when Wayne isn't playing. Darren is a very experienced player and a very popular member of the dressing room, I know he will work well alongside Wayne."

Wayne Rooney said: "It is a huge honour for me – and for my family – to be named captain of this great club. It is a role I will perform with great pride. Team spirit has always been very high in our dressing room and I am very grateful to the manager for the faith he has shown in me. I look forward to leading the team out on Saturday at our first match of the new season."

Darren Fletcher said: "I am delighted to have been named as vice-captain. It's a very proud moment for me and my family. Wayne and I have always worked well together and we will continue to work closely together in our new roles. I would like to thank the manager for putting his trust in me."

Captain Rooney

According to LVG this is the worst pre-season game despite the win.
And we got the winner from LVG's unwanted guy.

MANCHESTER UNITED 2
FLETCHER 49, FELLAINI 91

VALENCIA CF 1
RODRIGO MORENO 71

Manchester United ended a bright pre-season campaign on a high when Marouane Fellaini grabbed an injury-time winner against Valencia.

Darren Fletcher's deflected strike was cancelled out by Rodrigo Moreno's sharp finish but Belgian midfielder Fellaini's late effort provided Louis van Gaal with a victory in his first game in charge at Old Trafford.

After a slightly subdued opening spell, Moreno released Sofiane Feghouli and Chris Smalling was required to make an important interception in the middle. Feghouli also produced a tame effort that David De Gea saved with ease while Diego Alves was equally as untroubled when Phil Jones got his head to a corner by Juan Mata that came off Rooney.

Rooney floated a free-kick over the bar and then spurned a golden chance to break the deadlock in the 33rd minute. Ander Herrera drilled the pass of the half to Ashley Young, who produced a first-time cross on the run towards Rooney. The captain was nudged by Antonio Barragan and a generous penalty was awarded by referee Jon Moss.

Rooney stepped up but struck Alves' right-hand post with the keeper guessing correctly with his dive. There was another opening for the England international before the interval but he was unable to gather a long ball through by Fletcher.

It was Fletcher who struck, four minutes into the second half, to cheer the Stretford End behind the goal. Young's corner was dummied by Herrera at the near post and the ball broke to the Scotland skipper on the edge of the area. A deflected shot, through a crowd of players, beat the grounded Alves.

Rooney was sent clear by Young but was unable to pick out a colleague and Valencia grew in stature as the half wore on, with substitute Rodrigo De Paul displaying nice skill but firing well wide. Van Gaal made four changes just past the hour mark and the new-look team struggled to contain the Spaniards.

Moreno was thwarted by a superb recovery tackle from Jones before heading goalwards from a corner, only for Javier Hernandez to nod away to safety. Although Reece James offered a weak retaliatory shot at the other end, the equaliser arrived with 19 minutes remaining.

Pablo Piatti's free-kick was miscued by Tom Cleverley and Moreno pounced with an emphatic finish into the roof of the net with the offside flag staying down. Piatti was then unlucky not to add another goal seconds later when sliding into the six-yard box.

Galvanised by the introduction of Belgian duo Fellaini and Adnan Januzaj, United came back into the game with Rooney blasting narrowly over the bar from Januzaj's clever pass. A Dani Parejo drive squirmed out of De Gea's grasp but he recovered to get a second touch to it and the save sparked a spell of sustained pressure by the Reds.

It paid off in dramatic circumstances when Tyler Blackett scooped a hopeful high ball towards Fellaini and, when Alves collided with a defender, the substitute was on hand to tap into an empty net. The win sets the Reds up nicely for Saturday's Barclays Premier League opener with Swansea City.

Manchester United: De Gea; Jones, Smalling (M.Keane 62), Blackett; Young (Lingard 62), Fletcher (Cleverley 62), Herrera (Januzaj 76), Mata (Kagawa 62), James; Rooney, Hernandez (Fellaini 76).

Sub not used: Amos.

6th win of 6th game

Status
Not open for further replies.