Malaysians who cant speak Malay here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLQ

Jan 31, 2005
Tampines & Sydney
Hi all,
i saw the thread where they are talking in Malay, set me wondering how many here are Malaysians who cannot Malay like me?
Do you all face difficulties when back to Malaysia to do your adminstrative things like IC or passports... I always kena scolding by them for been a disgrace that as a Malaysian i cant speak Malay...
Any of you tried learning Malay? I just attended a basic Malay class, but seems not much of help, maybe i stupid :bsmilie:

cheers-

CLQ said:
Hi all,
i saw the thread where they are talking in Malay, set me wondering how many here are Malaysians who cannot Malay like me?
Do you all face difficulties when back to Malaysia to do your adminstrative things like IC or passports... I always kena scolding by them for been a disgrace that as a Malaysian i cant speak Malay...
Any of you tried learning Malay? I just attended a basic Malay class, but seems not much of help, maybe i stupid :bsmilie:

cheers-

You are not the only one......there is plenty of my Malaysian friends who can't mumble a word, even though they are Malaysian citizen.....dun worry be proud of your citizenship as a Malaysian.

If you can't speak in Malay, just speak back in English to them. I have encountered many officials before and I say back to them, "Excuse, I think Dr M did mentioned that all officials and goverment should start to speak English as we are going global. So I say back to them in Malay, if i can speak Malay, can you speak English?" After that they blur like sotong.....

well go our thread and start learning. you still can type in english if you want too.....

Pro Image said:
You are not the only one......there is plenty of my Malaysian friends who can't mumble a word, even though they are Malaysian citizen.....dun worry be proud of your citizenship as a Malaysian.

If you can't speak in Malay, just speak back in English to them. I have encountered many officials before and I say back to them, "Excuse, I think Dr M did mentioned that all officials and goverment should start to speak English as we are going global. So I say back to them in Malay, if i can speak Malay, can you speak English?" After that they blur like sotong.....

well go our thread and start learning. you still can type in english if you want too.....

That is a good one! Luckily the chaps in the Malaysian High Com here are quite reasonable!

student said:
That is a good one! Luckily the chaps in the Malaysian High Com here are quite reasonable!

They don't have a choice.....because I know my way around.....hehe.

Pro Image said:

Yeah, i am proud to be Malaysian :)
I noticed that in the past 2-3 years on my frequent trips to Malaysia, they are getting better in English, as in now you go to the fast food stalls, you can speak to them in English they can undertand, no longer any "what the heck is he taking" look on their faces, but then they still reply in Malay, lucky i still can understand the hargal in Malay :)

I treid very hard to speak to them in Malay, I will just speak English.

when I studied in ipoh for 1 yr, my chinese malaysian friends most of them can speak malay, not fantastic but write,listen and speak basic. now in jc got 1 friend from johor, also can speak malay learn until pri sch i think..

Hmmm, I suppose MOST (99%?) should be able to speak malay, unless they were brought up in a foreign country :think:

Semua kena belajar bahasa melayu di sekolah kan?

Gymrat76 said:
Hmmm, I suppose MOST (99%?) should be able to speak malay, unless they were brought up in a foreign country :think:

Semua kena belajar bahasa melayu di sekolah kan?
haha, da sumua :) saya satu%?
i only attend up to primary 4 in malaysia and that is in a chinese school, so the malay we learn was like : singa, kaka, abang, adik, kawan, bagus, atap...etc :)

heehee

however, some malays in sg can't even speak malay properly.. like me.. :dunno: so i find it impressive that some chinese malaysians can speak better malay than me..

Haha, I find it impressive that some Malays can speak mandarin which I can't even though I'm chinese :D

Gymrat76 said:
Haha, I find it impressive that some Malays can speak mandarin which I can't even though I'm chinese :D
:)
hee, i give you chinese lessons and you give me malay lessons?
haha

Hardly utter a word of malay nowadays. would probably fail fantastically in written malay literature, but I guess I could speak :D practice make perfect, wanna re-pick up malay, frequent malak store in m'sia :bsmilie:

Gymrat76 said:

I was brought up in Singapore.......

My kampong innocence..... what has Singapore done to it?

Oh Malaysia, land of glory
Where I found my heart's true love
In the night so warm and tender
With the moons and stars above

Ahem!

Sorry, I forgot that I am on planet earth. Only one moon! :confused:

student said:
Sorry, I forgot that I am on planet earth. Only one moon! :confused:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

student said:
Sorry, I forgot that I am on planet earth. Only one moon!
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Actually hor, how many of you/us malaysians here in singapore remember how to sing the malaysia national anthem? for me i can only remember first line... singapore anthem, sad to say i know the whole anthem...
I think i almost singaporean liao only the passport and IC still malaysian :sweat: (but during sea games, other than football, the rest i all support malaysian team:) )

It does not matter to me whether whether you are Singaporean or Malaysian. But I certainly like JB gals with Malaysia accent in Mandarin, lovely when you hear their voice.

Hmm... I think many Singaporeans also cannot speak the National Language, Malay, including me.

Post removed by sender. Joke not taken in good taste. Sender apologizes to all offended...:embrass:

seankyh said:
naanaalaakoo...
taanaatoompaanyalaalaaakoo....
Please take it serious when come to national anthem no matter u r malaysian or singpaorean. U got to respect the country simply because the national anthem is respecting the country itself.
:nono: :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.