Malaysian Road Rules

Hahaha the first post is funny but quite true. In Malaysia, many drive in their own world & some don't even care if there's other traffic users. They see something on the right, they just turn right without signaling, crossing 3 lanes & don't check blindspots. Many also don't know the law of filtering from small lane to major road, they just bulldoze their way in & you're supposed to slow down, stop or crash into them which you'll then realise that they didn't pay road tax & of course not insured!

That said, some places are tow-away zones so don't be surprised that if you park illegally like every local & you just might come back with a missing car that ended up at the town council's backyard.

The highways? It's the Autobahn of Asia

Hahaha the first post is funny but quite true. In Malaysia, many drive in their own world & some don't even care if there's other traffic users. They see something on the right, they just turn right without signaling, crossing 3 lanes & don't check blindspots. Many also don't know the law of filtering from small lane to major road, they just bulldoze their way in & you're supposed to slow down, stop or crash into them which you'll then realise that they didn't pay road tax & of course not insured!
Well, apart from the road tax / insurance .. this sounds quote similar to what I see on Singapore's roads. So is Singapore still a part of Malaysia? :bsmilie:

That said, some places are tow-away zones so don't be surprised that if you park illegally like every local & you just might come back with a missing car that ended up at the town council's backyard.

The highways? It's the Autobahn of Asia

Well NineEleven,

I experienced differently when I driving to towards Bukit GamBang Resort on those single lane with vehicles coming on opposite side.

About 100m, I saw a group of 5 or 6 vehicles traveling behind a big lorry. A smaller lorry behind wanted to overtake. I was alerted, but I did not horn. I just flashed the high beam a few times and the smaller lorry filtered back in. HE did not bulldoze his way out.
The question was; what action would I take if the smaller lorry decided to play chicken with me?

Another (comical) situation arose when driving those 2 lanes NS Highway. There were 3 vehicles in front of me travelling (100km/h) slowly. I decided to overtake them. I was easily to overtake the first 2. When I was about to overtake the last vehicle, it turned out to be a Police car. I was thinking should I overtake the Police car? If yes, technically I was speeding and the horror story of Malaysian Police taking bribes appeared to me.

While considering what action to take, there were about 4 vehicles coming fast from behind. The thought of the angry drivers mistaken me for hogging the road greater than the traffic summon. I stepped on, overtook the police car and filtered in the left lane.

Previously all the vehicles who overtook me earlier, continually accelerated past and pulled away.
But this time, all the vehicles after overtook me, filtered back into the left lane in front of me.

This continued for a while until I saw an intercool turbocharged(as sticker said) blue Ford pickup sped all the way on the right.
I looked back. The Police car no longer behind.

Compared to Singapore, while driving in Malaysia, whether small road, big road, highway, village road or town road I did not hear any cars horning or hogging the extreme right lane of the expressway at the designated speed as stipulated at the road signs.

Thank You
EisMann