Making mistakes on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every mistake made is a good lesson learnt. Only foolish men let the same mistake repeat itself time after time. Win your clients over with your sincerity; they will appreciate you for your good intentions and the potential of becoming even better in future.

Look at it from this perspective. When you make a mistake, you tell yourself you learn from it and never let it happen again. Your clients can also do the same because the moment you screw up, it also become their mistake........ by giving you the job. If they heed your advise to learn from their mistake and never to let it happen again, do you think you still can work for them in future? Its really tough out there.

Look at it from this perspective. When you make a mistake, you tell yourself you learn from it and never let it happen again. Your clients can also do the same because the moment you screw up, it also become their mistake........ by giving you the job. If they heed your advise to learn from their mistake and never to let it happen again, do you think you still can work for them in future? Its really tough out there.

I suppose in this case the client is lost. Get over with it and move on. Ain't the end of the world. A mistake made is done and cannot be undone. If the client is forgiving, that's great. If not, just too bad.

I suppose in this case the client is lost. Get over with it and move on. Ain't the end of the world. A mistake made is done and cannot be undone. If the client is forgiving, that's great. If not, just too bad.

Of course, you can get over it but sometimes, its difficult to move on because your reputation has been tarnished. The client might be forgiving this time but what are the chances that he/she will introduce more work to you next time? No prize for guessing that. You can always say, you can survive without his business. You have no idea how small this circle really is and words get around faster than you can imagine.

that's why DI has become so important... no, DI cannot save all problems, but it will certainly save alot of them... and with the cut in budgets, rushing of productions, changing of clients minds, changing of AD's minds, makeup and hair styling problems, I would advice the aspiring pro photographer to pick up at least basic retouching skills... or be prepared to hire someone to do it...:)

Of course, you can get over it but sometimes, its difficult to move on because your reputation has been tarnished. The client might be forgiving this time but what are the chances that he/she will introduce more work to you next time? No prize for guessing that. You can always say, you can survive without his business. You have no idea how small this circle really is and words get around faster than you can imagine.

If its that kind of big mistake, then too bad for the photographer. Diversification is the key for many pro photographers to stay afloat. The circle is indeed small. Then evolve to look for new circles of businesses in photography; there a serveral areas to it to make money. It just takes time along with good biz planning and networking. If a photographer find the market too small to survive, maybe he should get a real job instead.

Ain't rosy at all I agree. Simply survival of the fittest just like everything else. It's no playground for the weak.

I dunno if the main photographer will ask his assistance to shoot while he is on the job. Very unpro if you ask me...

When I work as a assistance...depending on the photographer you train under...I was like a cheap labour....carry lighting equipments...tripods etc....didn't even had the chance to touch films...so dun talk about touching the camera.

Then overtime, he will ask me to load the polroid pack, then load films...follow up setting up the studio for shoot etc etc...It was almost 2 years then I got to take a picture on my own (non commercial job). Then he start throwing simple etch out jobs for me to do...

Again depending on the guy/gal teaching you....dun expect to be spoon fed. I learn thru observation and some coaching at the sideline. It was hardwork...for the initial 6 months...my job was to keep the studio tidy (not too bad cos studio small one)...make kopi for the boss....run errands (buy lunch...drinks for clients....bank etc.) Was quite fedup at first....but heng did not throw in the towel....if not would not have learn a lot of stuffs.

If I were you, go join those course that teach you photography....one thing is....unless you are very sure...mai ke kiang. With the attitude of I already know liao...you ain't gonna learn anything...that I can assure you.

I dunno if the main photographer will ask his assistance to shoot while he is on the job. Very unpro if you ask me...

When I work as a assistance...depending on the photographer you train under...I was like a cheap labour....carry lighting equipments...tripods etc....didn't even had the chance to touch films...so dun talk about touching the camera.

Then overtime, he will ask me to load the polroid pack, then load films...follow up setting up the studio for shoot etc etc...It was almost 2 years then I got to take a picture on my own (non commercial job). Then he start throwing simple etch out jobs for me to do...

Again depending on the guy/gal teaching you....dun expect to be spoon fed. I learn thru observation and some coaching at the sideline. It was hardwork...for the initial 6 months...my job was to keep the studio tidy (not too bad cos studio small one)...make kopi for the boss....run errands (buy lunch...drinks for clients....bank etc.) Was quite fedup at first....but heng did not throw in the towel....if not would not have learn a lot of stuffs.

If I were you, go join those course that teach you photography....one thing is....unless you are very sure...mai ke kiang. With the attitude of I already know liao...you ain't gonna learn anything...that I can assure you.

hey thanks man..don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to be ke kiang or anything! not sure what i said, but if it did come across as a little ke kiang, i apologise..wasn't my intention.

that said...is it possible to do work as an assistant photography while being in uni at the same time?

No no...I never said that you ke kiang...just that tot that you had the wrong idea.

If the studio allows you....why not ? Its like those secondary school students working in Macdonalds only mah. Just dun let your passion overrule your studies....

i make mistake everyday.

hey thanks man..don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to be ke kiang or anything! not sure what i said, but if it did come across as a little ke kiang, i apologise..wasn't my intention.

that said...is it possible to do work as an assistant photography while being in uni at the same time?
moral of the story, be humble and accept all kinds of work without predjudice :)

yes, it is possible to be a photography assistant (diff from assitant photographer, who is a secondary photographer usually in bigger studios with many photographers)...as long as you are not under any obligation to uni or bond to any company...if the position is a part time one that is... also depending on the photographer you are assisting:)

i think mistake is a pretty vague word... nevertheless this is why it costs so much to get a good professional photographer. not just good in his style/skill/art, but also in his probability to deliver being extremely high.

why?

right pple for the right job (costs money), expensive equipment that lasts longer or is less likely to fail with back up equipment (costs money), many years of experience on the photographer's part to avoid "mistakes" (money cannot buy), to some extent, a good DI artist can help save some mistakes (costs money, or photog's own time).

and as kit mentioned, if you're charging good/top dollar, and u screw up, it's bye bye for u. just how big the bye bye is.

so what happens when a mistake is made (since we all do)? some can cover up, those that really cannot one... er, i'll let u know wat i do/did IF it happens. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.