Make money from Photo - 500px

Halfmoon

Feb 26, 2005
Hougang, Singapore.
500px 'Prime' is a licensing marketplace with 30% cut for photographers

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/08/500px-launches-a-licensing-marketplace-with-30-cut-for-photographers?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

New to this 500px... does it actually work? Any bro tried it? :think:

Seems like Dpreview comments section is pretty hot and calling this a rip off.... :think:

500px 'Prime' is a licensing marketplace with 30% cut for photographers

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/08/500px-launches-a-licensing-marketplace-with-30-cut-for-photographers?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

New to this 500px... does it actually work? Any bro tried it? :think:

Seems like Dpreview comments section is pretty hot and calling this a rip off.... :think:
I remember sinned79 sign up with 500px, you can check with him.
Many photographers are not contented with 30% royalty 500px offer, although it is not clear how they going price the images, but as what I see is they are not being realistic, there is no point having a site can offer you 70% cut but you are not selling a single image in a year.
Beside can their images sellable or not? it is still a question.

I remember sinned79 sign up with 500px, you can check with him.
Many photographers are not contented with 30% royalty 500px offer, although it is not clear how they going price the images, but as what I see is they are not being realistic, there is no point having a site can offer you 70% cut but you are not selling a single image in a year.
Beside can their images sellable or not? it is still a question.

I dunno... I was thinking of trying stock photography... but I also scared I not enough standard....

But I also come across some comments at the article that say one image was sold for $800 but they earn only $120 or so.... not sure how true.... mmm.....

I dunno... I was thinking of trying stock photography... but I also scared I not enough standard....

But I also come across some comments at the article that say one image was sold for $800 but they earn only $120 or so.... not sure how true.... mmm.....
the royalty rate is 15% than, that is pretty normal for a non exclusive contributor, he should be glad his photo able to sell at $800 anyway.
The royalty rates are stated on stock libraries clearly, how the photos being priced also stated clearly, anyone can go and sign up, give yourself a year or two to find out does it worth your time and efforts.

the royalty rate is 15% than, that is pretty normal for a non exclusive contributor, he should be glad his photo able to sell at $800 anyway.
The royalty rates are stated on stock libraries clearly, how the photos being priced also stated clearly, anyone can go and sign up, give yourself a year or two to find out does it worth your time and efforts.

Hi Catchy...

Thanks for your encouragement... I think I will think about it, get more images first before I go into it.. no point charging in blindly...

Do you shoot stock, and is anyone better one to get in?

I think digital age, very hard to sell... so many photographers... but also, luck... skills...

You can try out shutterstock, the rate is not high, but you will get a lot of downloads. Than try out the rest of the "big five" agencies if get used to the workflow.

Doing stock photography, one thing photographers need to take note, stock photos are commodity, photographers just want to make money from it. If they love their photos so dearly, everyday must hug hug kiss kiss, don't let anyone edit it, want to know who is using it or how they use it. Than he better is just keep his photos in his hard disk.

You are right about one thing, there are many photographers, but not all are committed enough.
Stock photo agencies always welcome new photographers, but to see results, it will take some time.

You can try out shutterstock, the rate is not high, but you will get a lot of downloads. Than try out the rest of the "big five" agencies if get used to the workflow.

Doing stock photography, one thing photographers need to take note, stock photos are commodity, photographers just want to make money from it. If they love their photos so dearly, everyday must hug hug kiss kiss, don't let anyone edit it, want to know who is using it or how they use it. Than he better is just keep his photos in his hard disk.

Shutterstock get a lot of downloads?? A lot of users/ buyers?

When I plan my shots then, I can sign on... now... I am doing random stuffs... need to arrow a segment I have more interest in first....

If I used the image at one company, I cannot use at the other side right? Will there be conflicts??

This is a long term, and trying as a side line only.. so it is minimal risk, since I already have the equipments. SG not much to shoot... I used to think that way, but I think I was wrong. I need to rethink of what and how to shoot and tell the stories....

I know... once sold, that's it. Do they need model release or something like this? If they sell, I can keep the image too right?

You are right about one thing, there are many photographers, but not all are committed enough.
Stock photo agencies always welcome new photographers, but to see results, it will take some time.

I think this is a long term commitment, and not so easy... and can be discouraging when the pick up is low, and they think effort > income/ fee... especially if you are doing side line....

Well.... will have to plan this carefully... and think of something unique...