maintaining underwater housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

artery

Mar 13, 2009
Woodlands
Hi.

I would like to know what is needed to maintain my underwater housing. Where to buy it and how much will it be?

Thanks.

Hi.

I would like to know what is needed to maintain my underwater housing. Where to buy it and how much will it be?

Thanks.

How about what Model of camera are you using 1st. ;)

I use a cheap alternative, brand is Dicapac (can google). Fits in Canon IXUS perfectly, they have different size for different models. Good thing, it is cheap... if i remember correctly $20+ only, goes down to about 20m no problem, but camera only functions down to abt 15m, after which pressure too hight to press the buttons.

How about what Model of camera are you using 1st. ;)

Using canon housing for G10. Just wanna how to take proper care of it. But have no idea what to buy and the price.

Using canon housing for G10. Just wanna how to take proper care of it. But have no idea what to buy and the price.

Ok.... I'll take it as you are using it for Scuba Diving (20metres and below).... therefore need a U/W casing.

As you have already been to the G10 thread..... you already know Price and Where To Buy.

See this thread for info on maintance - Click Here

But I don't understand your "What To Buy" question..... or are you asking "Where" ?? :think:

But I don't understand your "What To Buy" question..... or are you asking "Where" ?? :think:

I mean I don't know what is needed to do a proper maintainance after the dive. I heard something like grease and silicon but where can I get those suitable for the underwater housing.

I would also like to know the price so I won't get 'con'.

Thanks.

the silicone grease comes with the housing. i've never bought any before, so i dont know the price

alternatively, i can sell you my grease for $19.95 each. if you want, theres also a special limited edition "Guide to Maintaining Your Housing" for $29.95
((=

I mean I don't know what is needed to do a proper maintainance after the dive. I heard something like grease and silicon but where can I get those suitable for the underwater housing.

Thanks.

Every time you open the housing, dry it and put silicon grease on the o-rings. Don't go mad with the grease as its purpose is to keep the o-rings supple, not to help form the seal. Too much grease can attract dirt which can help break the seal, so apply just enough to make the o-ring glisten

As for the price, it's fairly cheap, $10-$20 dollars depending on how much you get

Thanks.

Like ClubSNAP-er - antacid - said..... when you buy a new casing (OEM or 3rd party), a tube of silicon grease will be given. The silicon grease is used to prevent the rubber 'O' Ring from drying out/hardern..... NOT to seal up ur casing, NEVER NEVER use too much silicon grease on the 'O' ring !! :nono:

Difference people will have difference ways of maintaining their casing.... so, I'll only list mine.

Storage
1) Soak the empty U/W casing in clean, fresh water for a day or 2 to dissolve any salt. Best to change the water every few hour or if you remember.
2) Remove the 'O' ring from the casing.
3) Use a good lint free cloth/paper to remove old silicon grease from 'O' Ring.
4) Apply a thin layer of new silicon grease on the 'O' Ring.... check to see/feel for any cut/damage on the 'O' Ring. (try hard NOT to stretch the 'O' Ring too much while doing this)
5) Storage the 'O' Ring in a small Zip-Lock Bag (or any other bag of your choice)
6) Use a old toothbrush to clean the groove on the U/W casing where the 'O' Ring sits.
7) Check the groove for dirty/sand/salt.
8) Open up the casing and leave it in a cool place to dry out totally (away from the direct sunlight)
9) Storage the casing inside a lint free cloth bag or hardcase....

Use
1) Do a general check on the casing when taken out. (crack/damage/dust/dirt)
2) Take out 'O' Ring and remove old silicon grease.
3) Apply a new thin layer of silicon grease on the 'O' Ring.
4) Put the 'O' Ring back onto the casing.
5) Use.....

Good to KNOW
* I normally only put back the 'O' Ring on site/location.
* If you are taking a flight... and your U/W casing is inside the planes storage... advise that you do not lock the casing especial if the 'O' Ring is on it. The low pressure will cost the casing to shut tight (like diving) and put unnecessary pressure on the 'O' Ring.
* NEVER use chem/alcohol to clean the U/W casing.... remember reading the thread - Click Here

the silicone grease comes with the housing. i've never bought any before, so i dont know the price

alternatively, i can sell you my grease for $19.95 each. if you want, theres also a special limited edition "Guide to Maintaining Your Housing" for $29.95
((=

Only buy a tube once in Phuket..... but I agree, one tube could last you a long time. :bsmilie:

Thanks guys. So I don't need additional stuffs to maintain my housing. Good to know.

But if the O-ring is damaged, where can I buy it?

Great write up diver-hloc!

How do you keep the o-ring from losing it's shape when you store it in a zip lock bag?

Thanks guys. So I don't need additional stuffs to maintain my housing. Good to know.

Probably where you get your casing, they may have it. If you get a canon case, i'm sure you could get a replacement from the canon service centre.

If you brought Canon's OEM casing.... then go Vivo Canon's Showroom. I talk to them once, they do carry stock of the newer casing.... but might have to older if casing is 'older'. If 3rd party casing.... then go back to the shop or order from the internet. Never try to just buy any same size/shape 'O' Ring from DIY shop and use. Unless you want to test can or cannot for us.... hahaha

Great write up diver-hloc!

How do you keep the o-ring from losing it's shape when you store it in a zip lock bag?

Shape doesn't matter..... as long as 'O' Ring isn't stretch.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
they should sticky one of these threads about maintenance...

one tube of grease is about $8-10.
please don't buy the big tub ones for equipment. they'll stretch your oring and soon you won't be able to fit the oring into the grove

they should sticky one of these threads about maintenance...

one tube of grease is about $8-10.
please don't buy the big tub ones for equipment. they'll stretch your oring and soon you won't be able to fit the oring into the grove

"wah! this grease is good man! make my o-ring bigger..super worth it!" :bsmilie:

"wah! this grease is good man! make my o-ring bigger..super worth it!" :bsmilie:

its not good.. ur oring will expand until it cannot fit the grove, then you have problem closing the housing, and risking clamping the over expanded Oring, hence introducing water into your housing

Hi guys... this may be a dumb question.

when the manual says to soak in fresh water after dive, it means with the casing closed/sealed correct? do you need to rinse the inside of the UW casing too?

i'm thinking it's better to keep the inside dry all the time, also preven rusting of the metal parts like the springs and screw

Hi guys... this may be a dumb question.

when the manual says to soak in fresh water after dive, it means with the casing closed/sealed correct? do you need to rinse the inside of the UW casing too?

i'm thinking it's better to keep the inside dry all the time, also preven rusting of the metal parts like the springs and screw

I wash inside only when dirty..... soak the casing (with 'O' Ring) closed. Make sure change the water after a few hours of soaking..... push the 'Outside' Buttoms abit underwater to rid salt trap inside....

I wash inside only when dirty..... soak the casing (with 'O' Ring) closed. Make sure change the water after a few hours of soaking..... push the 'Outside' Buttoms abit underwater to rid salt trap inside....

look at Post #9

yeah thanks... great post. thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.