Macro Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim

Jul 28, 2004
West
hi. Just asking, if i have a 1:2 macro, is there any add on lens to convert it to 1:1?

Thread moved to "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" due to the nature of the thread

Seraphim said:
hi. Just asking, if i have a 1:2 macro, is there any add on lens to convert it to 1:1?
By adding ext tube will give more magnification but not sure will give up to 1:1

but isnt close up filters just means you can take the macro shot from a further distance? for close up filter there are different types ya? +1, +2, +4 etc...so which one to convert it if its possible?

megaweb said:
By adding ext tube will give more magnification but not sure will give up to 1:1

It depends on his macro lens. If he is using short to medium range lenses, 50mm - 105mm, extension tubes will be useful. If his lens is between 180 - 300mm, he needs to extend it by 62mm to get 1:1 which means that the aperture is badly affected by a factor of 6.

A better option is to get an achromatic lens attachment like the Canon 250D or 500D. They are basically close up filters with two elements. 250D (+4) for 30-135mm and 500D (+2) for lenses above that range. The lens' aperture will also not be affected.

For the Sigma 70 - 300mm f/4.5-5.6 Macro APO Super II, which can do macros up to 1:2, adding a Canon 500D should bring it up to 1:1.

Seraphim said:
but isnt close up filters just means you can take the macro shot from a further distance? for close up filter there are different types ya? +1, +2, +4 etc...so which one to convert it if its possible?

Adding a close up filter shortens your minimum focusing distance, which means that you have to get closer to the subject.

The same applies to extension tubes. You have to get closer to your subjects to focus.

Seraphim said:

close up filter is just a piece of magnifying glass. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5, +10 (or so called Macro Lens attachment, ability to achieve up to 1:2 Macro on 50mm lens) diopter means the amount of magnification you can get, of course there will be slight degrading of quality. However, if you get a 2 elements close up filter (Archomatic), the quality loss will be alot lesser.

ok thanks for your information. I have a Tamron 70 - 300mm which gives 1:2 at 300mm so what advice will you give? deadpixel i dont quite understand what you are trying to say about the aperture being affected by a factor of 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.