Macro Extention Tubes = More dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exanimated

Oct 24, 2005
Hi all,

Recently, I bought an unbranded extention tube. The Results were very nice but after using it for a bit, i noticed that it has a very high potential of introducing dust to the sensors.. Has anyone experienced this with their tubes? Sent to clean twice in a short time. that already amounts to $70 for using the tube in less than a month.. If this carries on, might as well get a macro lens..

Any opinions on this?

Didn't notice that when I was using extension tubes. Maybe it could be the envoirnment or the way you change lenses that introduced more dusts.:dunno:

Never noticed it when I used mine as well.... Don't see how it can suck in dust since there are no moving parts in the extension tube unlike a 100-400mm where there's a large change in volume inside the lens when u zoom in and out....

I think it's more of your lens changing habit... try to keep the camera pointed downwards and change lens on with the camera off....

Didn't notice that when I was using extension tubes. Maybe it could be the envoirnment or the way you change lenses that introduced more dusts.:dunno:

I think it's more of your lens changing habit... try to keep the camera pointed downwards and change lens on with the camera off....

It could be.. Im thinking maybe theres dust already in the tube before i attached it..

Never noticed it when I used mine as well.... Don't see how it can suck in dust since there are no moving parts in the extension tube unlike a 100-400mm where there's a large change in volume inside the lens when u zoom in and out....

Hi bro, when you say suck in dust, do you mean the occurrence of dust sucked into zoom lens when zooming in or out? I wasnt aware of the possibility of this happening.. The lens i use to attach on the tube is an old 28-105.. could it be the problem?

no, I believe zj2000 was talking about a specific kind of lens with a push/pull zoom design like the 100-400. This design is known for sucking in dust. the 28-105 uses a twist zoom so you should be fine.

as for the dust problem, i think the only way (other than bad lens changing habits or lens storage...you store the tubes with the caps on right?) for the tubes to introduce dust is if the caps do not seal properly or if the tubes do not fit properly. i had a set of tubes that when stacked would still have a little bit of play. nothing serious and i dont think dust would be a problem...but it's a possibility.

if you find yourself doing a lot of macro shots, i would suggest investing in a macro lens. the quality is much better

Status
Not open for further replies.