Macro/ Close-up shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy9110

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
hi all,

need some help and advise here. I'm quite interested on taking macro or close up shot e.g. insect or something like that. understand that i must switch to the macro mode in order to take shot. but i have some question hovering in me for the past few session of photo taking of macro shot as i do not really know what is the correst technique of taking macro shot.

1) should i bring my camera close to the object like only a few cm away or prefered a certain length of focusing?? (maybe what is the correct distance should i place my camera infront of the object ? :) )

2) understand that there are close up filter in the market e.g. +2, +4 etc. what is the function of this filter and how to use it appropriately?

i had tried using a macro filter +4 that i had borrowed from my friend. have tried taking shot with macro mode but without the filter and again tried taking using macro mode but with filter attach and i discover that there is not much different when using the filter. is the problem ly on my camera or is it the misuse of the filter ??

kindly enlighten :) :)

thanks so much

andy9110 said:
hi all,

need some help and advise here. I'm quite interested on taking macro or close up shot e.g. insect or something like that. understand that i must switch to the macro mode in order to take shot. but i have some question hovering in me for the past few session of photo taking of macro shot as i do not really know what is the correst technique of taking macro shot.

hi andy...

mi oso beri interested in close-up shots or macro-photography leh... ;)

wondering wat is required to take relatively 'okay' close-up shots...btw...mi using A80... ;)

andy9110 said:
1) should i bring my camera close to the object like only a few cm away or prefered a certain length of focusing?? (maybe what is the correct distance should i place my camera infront of the object ? :) )

Sorry, can only answer your Q1. Not an expert in macro photography. Basically all lenses have a minimum focusing distance. It can range from a few cm to who-knows-where. For example, my 50mm can focus to as near as 0.38m while my 70-300mm zoom macro can focus to around 0.9m.

Any nearer than the minimum focusing distance your lens will not lock focus.

As for the magnification ratio at the minimum focusing distance, it again depends on the lens specs. Look through your lens manual for the info.

1) If you're taking insects, it is best if your camera is at least 10cm away. Too close a distance will startle them. Exacty what distance to place your camera will depends on what camera you're using.

2) Close-up filters with various diopter ratings (+1, +2, +4, etc) are meant to reduce the minimum focusing distance of your camera lens so that by being able to focus closer, you get bigger magnification. The higher the diopter rating, the closer the focusing distance and hence higher magnification. But note that close-up filters have a rather fixed focusing distance. You won't be able to focus without having your cam placed at this distance.

When using close-up filters, switch off your macro mode. Zoom all the way and you'll see the difference. If you wish to know more, click on the insect guide link below. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.