MacBook pro? Window laptop?

I have both a MacBook Pro and an iMac. Personally, I'll prefer doing photo editing on iMac because the screen very nice and big, haha... Photoshop / Lightroom seems to run smoother and more stable on Mac in my past experience with Windows. And more importantly, I haven't experienced a system hang / crash on Mac since I switched to it more than one year ago... Haha...

One vote for Mac here. It's more stable, well, to me, at least.

I wouldn't say a Macbook Pro is more stable as I have seen a Macbook Pro crash in the launch seminar of CS4.
Imagine the embarrassment of the Adobe master on the stage, the harddisk just went south and refuse to work (the OS was corrupted).
That is because OsX is built on top of BeOS which is another favour of Linux.
OsX has a stronger sandbox than Win7 but not as tolerant when having an improper shutdown.
In regardless to any system, when you introduce more rubbish applications, your system gets more unstable.

Mac seems to run Photoshop faster, Mac for me, if I were in your shoes.

Mac doesn't run Photoshop faster, a less cluttered system runs Photoshop faster.
I can have my i7 laptop with 6GB ram (16GB coming soon) and ATI HD5850 sit beside your Mac Pro for a comparsion if you would like but does it make sense... no. :cry:

So TS, I would like to say a MacPro has higher resolution than most laptops of its size, I think the iCore series doesn't use IPS panel else it's less calibration for you.
For that, there is an increase in price and you also have to pay for the cool design.
Wintel laptops gets you top of the line machine specifications for the same price as a MacPro but you still get crappy LCD until you hit $2.3k where you just get ugly laptops that are mostly desktop replacements or SSD druggies.

So it's a choice between the lesser of two evils, your call unless your next thread is iMac vs PC...

Actually not much different between the 2. Buying windows laptop u get better hardware (except the display), buying a mac u get better software.

I just switch to mac for 2 weeks. Mac operation is very smooth, no jerky or what so ever for normal usage.
The multi touchpad is amazing, can do lot of stuff on it, u can leav ur mouse at home if you just use it for net surfing.
GUI is very nice with lot of smooth animation.

But mac do hav its flaw, to name one.. i can't cut and paste file... which i miss in window...

Actually not much different between the 2.
But mac do hav its flaw, to name one.. i can't cut and paste file... which i miss in window...

true, both are not much different.

they do the same job equally well but in different environment.

it's not a flaw. you see it, you grab it, you drop it. isn't it easier?

alright, back to your question.

i'm a mac user and i can tell you how brilliant it is. i'll do the same if i'm a windows user.

what do you say?

Actually not much different between the 2. Buying windows laptop u get better hardware (except the display), buying a mac u get better software.

I just switch to mac for 2 weeks. Mac operation is very smooth, no jerky or what so ever for normal usage.
The multi touchpad is amazing, can do lot of stuff on it, u can leav ur mouse at home if you just use it for net surfing.

U dont need to cut and paste when all you have to do is to drag. ;)

I, too, just switched to a Macbook Pro few months ago. I guess I'm just no good with electronics and gadgets. My macbook has been sent to A&E 3 times. :sweat:

But, I still stand by my Macbook Pro! UI seems seamless to me. As I own a 15", it is a decent size for any photo editing. :) If you need a bigger screen, you can hook up to your home TV....

It really depends on your own preference. A friend of mine says that to buy a Macbook Pro, the same amt of $$ (2.8K), he can buy a i7 Windows, Double a Macbook Specs Lappy. So there you go. The main difference is the OS and of course the built and design.

Perhaps if speed is really ur concern, why not borrow a PC laptop with similar specs and run both side by side? Then you will be able to make a better comparison.

:)

Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD 5 and Mach 3.0 which is UNIX and not Linux.

More info on Mac OSX and it's kernel can be found here

http://images.apple.com/macosx/technology/docs/L416017A_UNIX_TB_FF.pdf

Oops, my bad. More or less almost the same except memory jumble a bit. Thanks for correcting me.
Anyway I still stick by it's not perfect and it still hates improper shutdown.
I had to reinstall OsX twice a year, same as WinXP except OsX reinstall faster.

PhotoProZero, guess it's either your MacPro doesn't like you or you got yourself a lemon.
Happens once in a while in the apple store but nvm as long as your warranty is still available then it's all well.

Can my laptop be used as a comparison against a MacPro?
My configuration is i7-720, 6Gb ram (16Gb max), 500Gb WD Black, lousy HD Ready LCD and it cost $1700.

if you throw in price/performance ration into consideration, Apple machines typically cost more for what you're paying for. To be honest Windows 7 is much more stable than Vista and it's speed is comparable with XP. Say you got $3,000.00 to spend... you'll get a better machine on Windows. In fact you can easily get an i7 machine with loads of RAM, pop in a SSD (or even 2 on stripped array)... that will smoke any Macbooks in stock config.

Nowadays, Windows laptop price and configuration is very good. I saw at courts and HN that 14" laptop is selling below 1k, using i3/i5 CPU, 500gb HDD and 4gb memory and running Windows 7.

Yes done. All given me a different feedback
What sort of feedback do you need? This has been asked to death.

I think best is to ask your wallet first. What's your budget? What are you looking for in a laptop?

Huh? Cannot meh? It's Cmd+C and Cmd+V for cut and paste. Correct me if I'm wrong. :eek:

if you throw in price/performance ration into consideration, Apple machines typically cost more for what you're paying for. To be honest Windows 7 is much more stable than Vista and it's speed is comparable with XP. Say you got $3,000.00 to spend... you'll get a better machine on Windows. In fact you can easily get an i7 machine with loads of RAM, pop in a SSD (or even 2 on stripped array)... that will smoke any Macbooks in stock config.

Most laptop cannot hold two 2.5" harddisk/SSD, none on MacPro (only iMac SSD edition / MacPro tower) and only on high-end 17" Wintel.
Since the laptops don't come with a dedicated raid controller it will be software raid, not good for the OS itself.
Of course they can try to replace the DVDROM drive with a second harddisk but it has to be SATA instead of slim SATA and the BIOS must support it.

Now, TS... time to let us in on your budget so that we can valid the argument.
Unless you just won Toto first prize then I will be your next best friend ;)

Yes done. All given me a different feedback

You won't do much better here. Everyone has his own preference.

Same interface than why is there still got ppl willing to spent on MacBook? As we all know MacBook is more exp than Window laptop...
Why ppl tend to chose Mac for photo and video editing since they having the same result? Blur Liao...

Same interface within the same application to a large extent, yes. Interface when you're in the Finder/File Manager/dialog boxes, not so much.
Having used Macs almost exclusively (aside from one EeePC on Linux) for 2 decades disqualifies me as an impartial judge I guess, but it often seems to me that Mac OS is put together by users and designers, while Windows is very much an engineers toy.
The results are the same, but I'd rather get there the Mac way -- it's like camera ergonomics. Or driving a convertible. Many enjoy the PROCESS as much as the results.

That said, I'm sure some find Windows more intuitive. If you do, the Mac OS might seem a bit strange at first. But the consensus seems to be that it's easier to go from Win-to-Mac than the other way.

Err... yes you can. Cmd-C to copy; Cmd-V to paste. Perhaps you're using the Ctrl key? ;)

Last edited:
the mac laptop keyboards suck big time..really envy those who can work long hours on them.

contrary to what many might have said

i touch a macbook pro, and i never look back at the macbook ever since
a simple installation of google chrome crashed safari and till now it can't be fixed, i hate the interface though many claims it to be "superior"
physically having to click with a mouse pad is tiring as compared to just tapping , and the new interface though neater i must say, i don't like it (preference)

i'm happy with windows

however one point to note is that Macs have very nice screens resolution for both details and colors
the same photo appeared differently on my old laptop and the mac.... the mac screen just owns....not just about color accuracy and vibrancy, but also detail rendering as well...everything seems so clear and sharp yet not glaring to the eyes.... if you're purely getting a laptop you might want to factor this in
if you're getting a PC laptop plus a HD TV as your screen ignore the above

you also have to consider if you would like to use other softwares like "Aperture" which windows users don't have.... if it's just purely photoshop and lightroom a windows OS can do the same

the general idea is that if you're purely looking for a multimedia workhorse , go for a mac
that's why school's that teaches multimedia design make owning a mac mandatory (but that is also because the school has a huge range of softwares for their students)

btw i used XP and i haven't send it for repair/reformat for 2 years, it shutdown within 10 seconds correctly
sometimes it's a matter of whether you know how to maintain your OS or not
a mac typically startup faster and shutdown faster than a PC though
am on window7 now, the startup time improved as compared to XP, but it's still slower than a Mac..... somehow i don't know why, MACs seems to be able to totally skip the BIOs (black screens) and this makes them speed up a lot more faster than a PC (hibernating doesn't count, you still need to shutdown once in awhile to clear system cache)

Last edited:
I went to Best last nite. Eyeing on MacBook pro 2.4GHz or window I5. The reason for getting is I need it solely for photo and video editing. So am after Speed... col...smooth in process. For sure I won't be use it for gaming or any other office work like excel as we are not allow to complete our unfinished job at home. So it will be a multimedia workhorse

Last edited: