Mac users on CS

Status
Not open for further replies.
lualua said:
was toying with the idea of gettting an ibook.. so where is the store/eshop that sells them cheapest? thks!

Prices on new macs are pretty controlled so you'd not find too much of a difference between retail stors of at the apple store. Some stores may include an additional freebie here and there but they don't amount to much.

Tha apple store however, has specials every once in a while on reconditioned items and educational discounts. The information is available at www.apple.com.sg at the store link.

I personally like SGL Marketing at SLS the best, nice and friendly people there.

oeyvind said:
ACR is actually very good once calibrated, for speed and effectiveness in workflow try C1 Pro

By calibrated you mean after the monitor has been through Sypder/Eye-one, or what other form of calibration? I find that once the conversion is done, sometimes there is quite a significant loss of detail as well as artifacting.

Currently evaluating a 30 day trial for C1 Pro.

Wai said:
both got the half-eaten apple logo, so to me, they are the same :blah:

Check this out bros:
http://www.folklore.org/index.py

Or buy the book, Revolution in the Valley. If you wonder how steve looks like with more hair and how he got booted out of Apple, go read the stories and see the pics

powerbook (alu) G4 1.5Ghz 17" since last december.
Its been great ever since! ;)

Recommend this book if you wanna find out more about the mac culture since apple's early stages.

The Cult of Mac
1886411832.01._PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/

I was thinking maybe our forum could come up with a small mac thread on concerning photography?

G3/500 graphite user, then PM Dual G4/867, sold it... went mac-less for 1/2 yr, got the G4/800 15" iMac, sold it and now on a G4/800 TiPB... :thumbsup:

and still keeping my G3/500 iMac and G3/300 iBook

of coz not forgetting the peripherals...
Snow base station, 2G iPod 10gb, iPod mini... and now waiting for shuffle stocks to arrive..

I've used the following since the early 80s...

(i) Apple II
(ii) Apple IIe
(iii) Apple IIc
(iv) Apple III (it's a giant)
(v) Macintosh (1st generation)
(vi) iMac Flat Panel (1st generation) => My Current workhorse

Mac mini is very enticing indeed... iBook is also very enticing... Powerbook is even more so... My relationship with Apple doesn't seem to be coming anywhere near to the end yet... ;)

Well, the Mac mini arrived today, and I am now using it to type this message.
Hooking it up was very simple - plugged in the power supply, plugged in the DVI-VGA adapter, plug in the monitor cable to the VGA adapter, plug in Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse transmitter to USB port, check keyboard & mouse to see battery installed, plug in Ethernet cable. Press power button ... hear a very familiar Apple startup sound and a picture appears on the monitor screen ... :thumbsup: It was a five-minute setup literally. The only thing I was worried about was the keyboard/mouse which on the PC, requires both the USB and PS2 plugs to be inserted to the PC - not so on the Mac mini, only the USB cable needs to be plugged in. Anyway, went thru the setup screens without any issue and was immediately able to access the Internet.

Immediately launched Software Update and sucked down all the available updates - 10.3.8, Java, Quicktime, etc etc. Also downloaded and installed Firefox and Thunderbird which will probably be my default Internet and mail clients.

Will need some time to get familiar with all the OS X interface elements. Initial observations and feelings about this are good.

Darren said:
Well, the Mac mini arrived today, and I am now using it to type this message.
Hooking it up was very simple - plugged in the power supply, plugged in the DVI-VGA adapter, plug in the monitor cable to the VGA adapter, plug in Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse transmitter to USB port, check keyboard & mouse to see battery installed, plug in Ethernet cable. Press power button ... hear a very familiar Apple startup sound and a picture appears on the monitor screen ... :thumbsup: It was a five-minute setup literally. The only thing I was worried about was the keyboard/mouse which on the PC, requires both the USB and PS2 plugs to be inserted to the PC - not so on the Mac mini, only the USB cable needs to be plugged in. Anyway, went thru the setup screens without any issue and was immediately able to access the Internet.

Immediately launched Software Update and sucked down all the available updates - 10.3.8, Java, Quicktime, etc etc. Also downloaded and installed Firefox and Thunderbird which will probably be my default Internet and mail clients.

Will need some time to get familiar with all the OS X interface elements. Initial observations and feelings about this are good.

hehehe... you will love MAC OS X :) so easy to use and so highly customisable

oeyvind said:
If you using Firefox on the mini, you might want these:

http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/

Still using Safari and Mail, Firefox is there for the bank (you shall need this plugin) and etc.

Which banks? I thought with the latest revisions, most bank internet access problems have been overcomed. That's certainly true of my UOB account. Wasn't able to log on until about 2 months ago with the latest changes to Safari.

chngpe01 said:
A happy and satisfied user
:)

Same here, switched to Mac in 2001 and never look back :)

My Mac gear:

1. iBook 12" G3 500Hz (almost 4 years old, still working well)
2. PowerBook 15" G4 1.25GHz SuperDrive
3. iPod 1G 5GB, iPod 4G 40GB, iPod shuffle 1GB

Just got my new Powerbook 15" but with the Combo drive only... First Mac I own and will not be the last... I love the everything about the Mac.... :lovegrin:

Terence said:
Which banks? I thought with the latest revisions, most bank internet access problems have been overcomed. That's certainly true of my UOB account. Wasn't able to log on until about 2 months ago with the latest changes to Safari.

I can log in to both DBS & UOB a/cs using Safari... :)

me using 1.5ghz 15" PB, and 2 months after that, my gf bought herself an ibook. :D
Im telling you, its contagious...

Speaking of AppleCare, those who have made use of Apple's old policies of anything and everything also can repair/service don't take for granted you can still do that after your 1st year now.

I had the hinges of my LCD screen changed on my 15" AL(end of last week in fact) which has passed it's 1 yr (though still on AppleCare) and Apple charged me parts and labour. Though it may say "Parts and labour covered", they've sort of snaked their way to exclude systems passed their 1st year warranty and labelled them "wear and tear".

After speaking to the technician, apparently they've (apple) changed their parts ordering system and policies. For those in the know, you'd remember how one could easily service your system with no questions even when your system has passed it's 1 yr but still under AppleCare.

I'm still a little cheesed I had to pay for this, eventhough the hinge is fixed I've somewhat spotted the quirks in it's designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.