LX1 Rocks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zcf said:
just wonder, what common photo paper size can be used to develope using 16:9 ratio???

Panasonic used to throw in 16:9 photo papers with the sales of LX1.
But I think u can just print using any paper and then trim it off.....

zcf said:
Look more at how other people shoot, think whether you can shoot with similar style, then shoot more, explore more, find your own style.

If needed can attend some photo course, join photographer group outing for discussion or shooting, read some photography book.

BTW, I am a newby also.:sweat:

Thanks for sharing, zcf. Appreciate very much your willingness to teach a dummy like me. I'll take the good advice you've given. :thumbsup:

Would have been nice if more experts particularly the much-praised photographer who would share their insights, experiences, knowledge with dummies like me.

Its kh's excellent skills that made the pictures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The header should have been changed to "weekh rocks with the LX1!" :bsmilie:

icarus said:
Its kh's excellent skills that made the pictures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

that's what everyone is saying, which I have to agree.

But unless people are willing to give specifics, then there is not much sharing of knowledge which is what a forum is for, no?

It would be educational if people would say things like, for eg, "This picture is well-taken because the photographer considered this and that...." or "the cam is set to such and such to bring out this effect of ..." or " when taking a shot like this, must take note to do this or that.."

I'm not here to offend anyone, far from it, I want to make friends with photographic experts and learn. But all I read are praises and praises but no one is able to give further insights that help others to learn.

pop said:
that's what everyone is saying, which I have to agree.

But unless people are willing to give specifics, then there is not much sharing of knowledge which is what a forum is for, no?

It would be educational if people would say things like, for eg, "This picture is well-taken because the photographer considered this and that...." or "the cam is set to such and such to bring out this effect of ..." or " when taking a shot like this, must take note to do this or that.."

I'm not here to offend anyone, far from it, I want to make friends with photographic experts and learn. But all I read are praises and praises but no one is able to give further insights that help others to learn.

Check the Critique Corner , for that
also other individual sub-forum likes:
Newbies Corner
Digital Darkroom
General, Reviews, Tech Talk
and the Photo Galleries, quite some comment and critique there.

You shall learn quite a lot from there, and don't be afraid of asking, most forumers here are friendly and willing to share how thy achive the effects, but however you will need to more specific about your question then it will be easier for the Pro or G*** to reply.

You're wonderful, zcf. Thanks!

cyoonsin said:
The LEICA DIGI-LUX2 cost $11xx at CP, abt $300 more than the LX-1.
Just bought the Leica D-Lux 2. About $300 more than LX-1.
The differences are:
(1) Bigger capacity SD card - 64Mb
(2) Different software bundle: Abode Plug-in for RAW data, Abode Photoshop Elements 3
(3) Beautiful Crumpler/Leica carrying case
(4) 2 years warranty
... and of course, the design and the red dot :)

tomcat said:
The differences are:
(2) Different software bundle: Abode Plug-in for RAW data, Abode Photoshop Elements 3

Congrads on your new purchase of a Leica!!!! Would love to own it myself.... I'll wait for a D-Lux 3.

Forget about the 64MB SD card. U will fill it up in no time.

The Panasonic which I get from AP comes with a 32MB SD card + a 512MB I think. But I I upgraded it to 1GB. The 32MB card is left lying around.

zcf said:
and don't be afraid of asking, most forumers here are friendly and willing to share how thy achive the effects,

well, i have been very politely asking and pleading. maybe as a newbie i just don't know the right way to ask, but i have been most enthusiastic to learn. but i think you're the only friendly and responsive one unlike those that just enjoy basking in the glory of praises and pretend not to hear my repeated pleas for some teaching. Not even a response.

i appreciate your advice very much. at least i don't feel ignored. as you've humbly said, you're a newbie too, so maybe you can empathise with me better.

I shall stop pleading here and go read those threads/forums you have kindly suggested to me. I will PM you if I have some questions to ask. Hope you don't mind.

Have a very merry christmas and a wonderful new year. may your photographic skills improve by leaps and bounds in the new year and may you continue to be friendly and selfless.

Cheers.:cheergal:

weekh said:
Congrads on your new purchase of a Leica!!!! Would love to own it myself.... I'll wait for a D-Lux 3.

Forget about the 64MB SD card. U will fill it up in no time.

The Panasonic which I get from AP comes with a 32MB SD card + a 512MB I think. But I I upgraded it to 1GB. The 32MB card is left lying around.
Thanks.
I bought a 1Gb 133X SD card from CP along with the camera. Lifetime warranty and cheap too. Also got a OEM spare battery from East Gear at the same time. :)

Sorry for OT (out of tropic) in this thread.:sweat:

pop said:
well, i have been very politely asking and pleading. maybe as a newbie i just don't know the right way to ask, but i have been most enthusiastic to learn. but i think you're the only friendly and responsive one unlike those that just enjoy basking in the glory of praises and pretend not to hear my repeated pleas for some teaching. Not even a response.

i appreciate your advice very much. at least i don't feel ignored. as you've humbly said, you're a newbie too, so maybe you can empathise with me better.

I shall stop pleading here and go read those threads/forums you have kindly suggested to me. I will PM you if I have some questions to ask. Hope you don't mind.

Have a very merry christmas and a wonderful new year. may your photographic skills improve by leaps and bounds in the new year and may you continue to be friendly and selfless.

Cheers.:cheergal:
There are plenty of friendly and responsive forumers in this forum and I learn a lot from them. May be just have to ask them at the right time and right place.
Beside asking, another most important way is to use the search function in this forum, Google or other photographic forum, as there are plenty of repeat info available on the net, so people may get tire of replying the same question after ten or twenty times. I use search a lot, sometime self helping is the faster and get the satisfaction of being able to solve the question by oneself. When I can't seem to search it then I ask around for anwser.
If you post of question in Newbie sub-forum, I think quite some people are willing to help out, I help out whenever I can.
:) Have a Merry Christmas too.

pop said:
hmm, no one can teach me a little?

weekh's pictures really look fantastic and i'm sure its not just because of the good cam. So many of you credit the photographer, so just what does a good photographer consider before taking a shot? How about some tips, please? ;)

I think getting familiar with the gear is very important too.....so that the exposure, speed and depth of field all came out just nicely :dunno: Of cos composition do play a big part :kiss:

That's why I agree with what people said...."shoot more....shoot more"....that's how you will learn from mistake and some good photographer(Like Weekh) can beat the hell out of a pretender(like me) even using a P and S cam :sweatsm:

Many thanks for your encouragement, Big Kahuna. :thumbsup:

tomcat said:
The differences are:
(4) 2 years warranty

Wow... You are the 1st here with the camera! Where you bought it from?

$300 for the red dot and 2yrs warranty! :bsmilie: Just kidding! At least you get original PS Elements 3.

How do you find the built quality? So can I say that functionally and ergonomics wise, it is exactly the same as the LX1?

tao said:
Wow... You are the 1st here with the camera! Where you bought it from?

$300 for the red dot and 2yrs warranty! :bsmilie: Just kidding! At least you get original PS Elements 3.

How do you find the built quality? So can I say that functionally and ergonomics wise, it is exactly the same as the LX1?
Bought it from Cathay Photo.
The build quality is superb. I checked out both the LX1 and D-Lux 2 at Cathay. The D-Lux 2 looks and feels more 'desireable' than the LX1. Anyway, I'm buying it for its 'bling' 'bling' value.... can't afford any other Leica cameras otherwise. And this one is only slightly more than the LX1 unlike the case of the LC1 and Digilux 2 where the Digilux 2 cost almost double that of the LC1. :)

Some say the Leica has a slightly different lens coating and software while some say it is the same as the LX1.

Nevertheless, the $300 is worth it for the Leica name plus the additional year of warrranty, the bag and Adobe software.

Some people said that there is probably no difference in the lens and firmware between the LX1 and D-Lux 2 this time and that's why the price difference is so little between the two unlike the LC1 and the Digilux 2.

There is a slight difference in the firmware though that is very much noticeable.... when the camera is started up, the red dot Leica logo appears first to announce to the world that this is a 'Leica'. :D

I have only just test fired a few shots but it seems to my eyes that the image quality of the LC1 is better than that of the D-Lux 2 / LX1. Maybe it is because of the Summicron lens of the LC1. But I do like the perspective-like effect of shooting at wide angles in the 16:9 mode. It looks totally different from simply cropping a 4:3 or 3:2 format image to 16:9 format.

And another thing that surprised me....

for those who are interested in IR photography...

the D-Lux 2 (and LX 1 most likely as well) is quite sensitive to IR. I found that I can actually compose my shots using the LCD display when shooting through a Hoya R72 IR filter. This is in total contrast to the LC1 which is completely blind to IR.

tomcat said:
And another thing that surprised me....

for those who are interested in IR photography...

the D-Lux 2 (and LX 1 most likely as well) is quite sensitive to IR. I found that I can actually compose my shots using the LCD display when shooting through a Hoya R72 IR filter. This is in total contrast to the LC1 which is completely blind to IR.
Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.