LX 3 for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thanks everyone for your inputs, much appreciated.

the only thing that people might not like is the fact that it is not as intuitive to use as a normal p&s, i.e. turn on and start snapping. there are many knobs and buttons, when my friend with no technical knowledge got it, he was at a loss as to what to do, even in auto mode, because there were so many things to press.

anyways, it is a good camera, but there are many good cameras out there.

if you are sure you can live with the cons (as every camera, even d3 has them) .. then go for it. it is usually the cons that matter, not the pros. ;p

Haha yea thats why i am planning to get b4 hand and test it ard in Singapore b4 going off to vietnam. I know one of the cons is the zoom of the camera. Care to elaborate more?

O yea realized that this camera is closely being compared with Fujiflim F200. From my understanding, the camera offers wide lens as well as 5x zoom. The drawback is that it offers less control relative to LX 3.

Feel free to comment :)

Haha yea thats why i am planning to get b4 hand and test it ard in Singapore b4 going off to vietnam. I know one of the cons is the zoom of the camera. Care to elaborate more?

the camera has the following going for it; from the brief moment i played with my friend's.. if i have the money i would get it, but i don't really think it's a warranted purchase on my end, so not getting.

1) great high iso performance (for a compact - let's be fair here)
2) extremely intuitive layout, especially if you have used a dslr before
3) loads of photographic control; even if you don't have a dslr and eventually get one, i think the lx3 will still be useful
4) fast lens
5) with wide angle capability at that
6) responsive for a compact

these are the things that my friend didn't like;

1) the lens cannot retract. meaning, while it is compact, it is awkward to fit into pocket, etc
2) lenscap. a lot of people cannot tolerate the lenscap concept
3) limited zoom range (he didn't complain, but some may find it a problem)
4) if you really do not want to read up too much, then some of the functions will be not used, but that's fine, so long as you can live with it, it is your money after all

that's all i can think of. :) hope it helps.

both the g series and lx3 are great cameras, it's a matter of preference really. i have seen great pictures from both, at low iso, the output is really something for a compact.

I am a beginner in photography with no technical knowledge at the moment.

Thanks to the intelligent auto mode (IA), if you think you have no knowledge in photography but has the commitment to learn more, get the LX3. It gives you the room to learn. But if you just want to snap pictures and wouldn't want to go into the finer details of learning photography, then get a normal point and shoot camera. Cos the LX3 is not exactly cheap compared to normal PnS.

Status
Not open for further replies.