Luminar vs Lightroom

Pilot Photographer

Feb 1, 2018
Lake Forest
I'm currently using Photoshop and Elements. Actually not so much of Elements any more. I was told I need to start using Lightroom because you can catalog your images and keep things organized. I was reading https://www.photographytalk.com/post-processing/9037-luminar-review this article that talks about this software being like Lightroom or better. I haven't installed or bought anything. I like Photoshop and know Adobe is a trusted name that has been around for a long time. What I don't know is this Luminar company or software rather.

Any views of this software that you can share please? I don't like re-occuring bills if I don't need them. Lightroom will be reoccuring fee. This other one not. But if the other one isn't that good, then I'll stick with the Adobe products.

Thanks for the help guys. I need to bounce, my wife has me cleaning the garage today! I'll look in here tomorrow (i case I don't respond today). :)

Just download it to try.

I have an old laptop with older graphics card (i5, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, Intel Graphics+NVidia M750).
The program did not like my graphics card and refused to start.
This was solved by updated the NVidia driver to the latest one.
So with that, YMMV in terms of performance with a newer/faster PC.

Loading is slow when entering Edit mode. (YMMV)
The AI is very smart and I get similar/better o/p to my LR with a click of the button. (for a landscape scene)
On LR, it would have taken me a couple of selective editing and tweaks of all the usual controls (ie. shadows; highlights; contrasts; vibrance; etc)

So imo for now, the software has potential if its faster.
YMMV

I have a one year old PC. Lightroom 5 runs perfectly well. Being a reactionist, I refused to update to the subscription version. I just installed Luminar 3 and I think I will get a brain haemorrhage waiting for it to load... It's extremely slow!