Low Key Portrait

Weilun537

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
Hi guys,

I've been dabbling in landscape for a while but have recently been captivated with low key portraits and its ability to bring out muscle tones and bodyscape details. As such, I would really love to seek everyone's help to critique and comment on my following picture, in terms of lighting, composition, and generally how else I can improve. I was hoping to "highlight" muscle tones and bring out body form (not the best muscular model as I was just attempting this for the first time).

I used a one-light setting, no modifiers, to bring out hard shadows and sharper body lines to emphasise masculinity. I personally enjoyed this shoot but would really love some comments so that I can improve on my techniques, especially with bodyscapes.

Thanks in advance!

$IMG_3724.jpg

Your picture is way underexposed. Also try to use a grid to get more defining shadows. The dumbell is quite a distraction unless you know how to light it separately. Also try to play around with different light positions.

Last edited:
Yeah I made the mistake of not checking the histogram. I lowered the exposure because I thought it came out a tad brighter. I might also get a light meter to help.

Thanks for the advice on the lighting! Will try with a grid. I understand that there are grid modifiers with varying degrees. Do they make a difference?

I'm trying to attach another edit of the original pic with higher exposure and increased clarity and contrast to highlight the grittiness of the pic. Not sure if it is better. Please advise!

Attachments

• $image-2646227119.jpg
    $image-2646227119.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 11
I don't think a different editing will help. What crosses my mind first thing: the dumbbell blocks the view to the body.
My suggestion: move to your ride side, get the body in half profile. This way the dumbbell does not block the view anymore. If you get it just in front of the black background it will stand stand out nicely with a bit of light.

There is no real lighting here.

For these type of shots, if your talking lighting, it is used to sculpt the body, think about how the light should go, straight on? from the sides? which side? or both sides? Obviously cross lighting produce the most textures and contrast. Then we talk about exposure, this is really a dull image, because while there are a lot of shadows, there are no specular highlights. The second edit only makes it look like got skin problems.

alamak, cannot see any face, too dark liao.

also, i think the lock nut for the dumb bell reverse liao.

think too many small plates, go with 2 big ones looks better

think the model not tone enough also

Last edited: