Loving my cat

machiavellian

Jan 25, 2007
Bedok Reservoir
mkvlln.posterous.com
69819_449715333685_583938685_5146348_216138_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, colours, DOF

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Details of the cat

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken at home, when my little brother is playing with the cat.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like this photo, I think it has character. Like it shows the unconditional love of a human being towards an animal.

Composition: for a portrait shot like this, rules of third can be applied. The focus on the cat and the boy can be moved to one of the nodes. Maybe the top left hand one....
DOF: getting the face of the boy and cat sharp will help. Shallow DOF probably not good for this photo.

Try to take one with higher shutter speed as this one seems a little soft.

imo... the feel of the boy love for the cat isn't quite there. Changing the angle of the shot might help, waiting for the right moment may help... maybe when the cat lean back to the boy embrace... might help... gotta keep shooting there to find one that clinch that feeling you are looking for.

I can see that the boy is laying down with hands wrapped round the cat. This could have been made more obvious if you had rotated the image about 60-90 degrees counter-clockwise. You might also consider taking the shot at a lower angle to show more of the boy's face along with the cat. Personally, I like this image overall. Nice work :)

All I can say is, your choice of angle to shoot this picture has totally ruined this picture opportunity. Can hardly see the expression of the boy's face. The brown pillow(?) is very distracting. The cat's features were not very visible from this angle as well.

Should had gone lower and shot the boy from a more frontal angle.

Sorry.

All I can say is, your choice of angle to shoot this picture has totally ruined this picture opportunity. Can hardly see the expression of the boy's face. The brown pillow(?) is very distracting. The cat's features were not very visible from this angle as well.

Should had gone lower and shot the boy from a more frontal angle.

Sorry.

wah, after reading your comment, I really felt that that's true. Thanks! I will go lower when I had another opportunity. :)

I can see that the boy is laying down with hands wrapped round the cat. This could have been made more obvious if you had rotated the image about 60-90 degrees counter-clockwise. You might also consider taking the shot at a lower angle to show more of the boy's face along with the cat. Personally, I like this image overall. Nice work :)

Thanks for the advice and also liking it.
Yeah, I think it could've been better with the image being angled differently to clearly show that the boy is hugging the cat, and his expression as well.

Composition: for a portrait shot like this, rules of third can be applied. The focus on the cat and the boy can be moved to one of the nodes. Maybe the top left hand one....
DOF: getting the face of the boy and cat sharp will help. Shallow DOF probably not good for this photo.

Try to take one with higher shutter speed as this one seems a little soft.

imo... the feel of the boy love for the cat isn't quite there. Changing the angle of the shot might help, waiting for the right moment may help... maybe when the cat lean back to the boy embrace... might help... gotta keep shooting there to find one that clinch that feeling you are looking for.

Thanks for being so insightful. And I do agree with you that a shallow DOF seems to be distracting as you want to see both the boy and the cat's faces. :sweatsm: