Love Cyprus! ~Our Mediterranean Honeymoon~

koplady11

Dec 2, 2009
East forever and ever
Admittedly, Cyprus might be one of the oddest choice for a honeymoon destination. We decided on it anyway coz it basically fulfilled our separate criteria:

1) I wanted cool weather in May, preferably in Europe, plus nice sight-seeing without much shopping.
2) He wanted a beach vacation filled with loads of sun.

And there you have it, the Mediterranean island where many Brits and other Europeans flock to for their summer vacation.

We didn't know anyone personally who had been there so we depended heavily on our (mostly my) research online and bought Lonely Planet and Eyewitness Travel books for maps and recommended activities for our itinerary. With our diet restriction of halal cuisine, we also felt Cyprus had a good mix of Muslim Turks (about 18%) within the population for us to easily get food, though it wasn't a well-spread percentage with a much larger concentration in the north. A sucker for the history and discovery channel, I'm immediately drawn to the rich historical sites that Cyprus offers at merely a fraction of how much it'd cost in Greece and Turkey. Of course, some downsides of the cost go into lack in maintenance of some sites.

By recommendations of both our travel books, we decided to split our honeymoon into both North and South Cyprus, with the easier option of landing in Larnaca, S.Cyprus, via Emirates. We were much aware of the country's troubled heritage of a split republic and one can only cross the borders in authorized vehicles, with taxis as the safest option. At south ie the Greek-dominant region, we picked Limassol (Lemesos) to stay in while making day trips to other towns in a rented car. At north ie the Turkish-dominant part, we stayed in Kyrenia and rented another car for the road trips.

Our itinerary was as follows:

14 May: Larnaca - Limassol
15 May: Limassol - Troodos - Limassol
16 May: Limassol - Kourion - Pafos - Limassol
17 May: Limassol - Lefkosia - Limassol
18 May: Limassol - Kyrenia
19 May: Kyrenia - Salamis - Famagusta - Kyrenia
20 May: Kyrenia - Karpas Peninsula - Kyrenia
21 May: Kyrenia - Larnaca (we reached Singapore on 22 May due to time difference)​

May is the month of the seasonal change from spring to summer. When we arrived, it was a cool 24 deg in the south which got as warm as 31 deg on 17, 18 and 19 May. Strangely, for a country that does not receive much precipitation all year round, it rained quite a few times when we were there, with raindrops mixed with sand from the neighbouring desert countries. It was also much cooler in the north generally, nights being as low as 15 deg.

Alright, enough with the introduction of Cyprus. I shall start posting the pics soon, though pardon me for bad angles or badly taken pics in general coz I'm still a beginner in my opinion. For info, I used a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 throughout the trip.

6290491377_2b532424f8_b.jpg

Our arrival at Larnaca Airport.

6290491657_8dc5c06312_b.jpg

A teeny-weeny view of the Mediterranean Sea from the balcony of our apartment. We can see it better when we climb on the chairs! :bsmilie:​

6291011624_efc74cc2b4_b.jpg

The abandoned Camii Kebir (Grand Mosque) of Limassol: This was a prominent landmark at the split junction where we were constantly lost during the first 2 days. Apparently, the map showed a split junction with 4 roads connected (like a roundabout) but in reality, one of the roads was closed without a sign and we kept going in circles around the same area trying to get on the right route again! Road names were also not properly displayed so we depended heavily on such landmarks...​

Nice to see you starting the series. Keep the shots coming. #4 may look better with a square crop on the right w/o the left pillar and half the roof to bring attention to the arch.

Nice to see you starting the series. Keep the shots coming. #4 may look better with a square crop on the right w/o the left pillar and half the roof to bring attention to the arch.

Oh! Great idea. Thanks for the tip! U keep up with your awesome Suisse pics too!

no couple shot?

Haha... Not a lot for the whole journey.

6290621635_3f06752ccf_b.jpg

We forgot everything was upsized for Europeans... This was my husband's order and the plate was a mountain.​

6291142952_c6c6b43b6f_b.jpg

Plus we had hummus with bread as well! I'm normally a big eater but I seem to have a lesser appetite when it comes to Mediterranean cuisine. Not that I don't like it, I could get full from just hummus and bread alone.​

6290622057_24852f89b3_b.jpg

So when it came to my minced beef wrap, I requested to pack it instead. I believe the wrap (when uncut) was equivalent to a foot-long Subway.​

The next day was to be rainy in almost all southern parts of Cyprus, from the weather forecast I had printed out. We took a gamble to hike in the Troodos Mountains in the morning and luckily, we finished the 2km trail to the Caledonia Falls before the rain came.

Hiking is a highly recommended and popular activity in the Troodos Forest during summer as the high altitude offers a much cooler weather compared to the other parts of the island at sea-level where it can reach a scorching temperature of 37-38 deg. The 2km Caledonia Falls trail is rated as "advanced" in the Lonely Planet due to the uneven pavement (if any), crossing of the streams and generally the elevation of the hike itself.

We took about 40 min to reach the waterfall in about 18 deg weather. The most I've hiked before this was... The Treetop Trail at Macritchie. I'm not much of an outdoor person when it comes to hiking in local context due to the humidity and MOSQUITO factor. :bsmilie:

6298446611_1d45f99425_b.jpg

Its only natural for a lady's eyes to notice flowers amongst a sea of greenery, no matter how small they are.​

6306328776_3a628a69db_b.jpg

Depending on the ex-NS army officer to guide me through jungle trekking. Heeeeee...​

6306330028_40bdf91bed_z.jpg

Couldn't resist taking a pic with these 2 trees! Sorry for the off-centre framing, but I promise I'm doing my best to train the husband how to take better pictures of me. :bsmilie:​

6306332740_22fc69aa8a_b.jpg

When we reached the waterfall, we found these kittens hiding in the woods. Whilst their mother cat was chummy with us, the kittens were naturally scared of us humans. This was a cropped shot as they were quite deep in the bushes and my 50mm was not long enough.​