Love affair with the DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will definitely look at one but do people usually carry flashes around on their holidays? I would think alot of sight seeing will mostly be done in daylight

I do. I had to pull it out once to shoot my wife while we were having dinner at the beach at sunset. It was worth it. A flash is not that much heavier and will come in handy when you need it.

My priority will be to get a good versatile zoom lens for my Japan trip. Reviews and IQ questions aside, the 15-85 seems to fit the bill well and would probably go a long way. I will probably only buy a tripod and flash later as I do not think I will bring it for my trip as I want to travel lighter.

the flash and tripod are more essential than you think. unless u don't plan to take much shots in less than bright daylight.

the flash and tripod are more essential than you think. unless u don't plan to take much shots in less than bright daylight.

And yes. tripod is important. I have 3. :devil:

IMO, the most interesting times to take pictures are during sunrise and sunset. The light turn golden, giving you a blast of colors across the skies and everything around you... ahhh..... lovin it. A tripod is more or less essential if you intend to take any photos like the following.

3936317142_a38efb1c27_m.jpg
3892347075_b97a0882b8_m.jpg
3893136692_acef29ab22_m.jpg

Sorry for pic whoring a little... :devil:

Last edited:
And yes. tripod is important. I have 3. :devil:

IMO, the most interesting times to take pictures are during sunrise and sunset. The light turn golden, giving you a blast of colors across the skies and everything around you... ahhh..... lovin it. A tripod is more or less essential if you intend to take any photos like the following. :D

3936317142_a38efb1c27_m.jpg
3892347075_b97a0882b8_m.jpg
3893136692_acef29ab22_m.jpg

great pics. exactly my point of having a tripod if you plan to shoot some nice sceneries. i hardly shoot landscape but the timing for beautiful light is always in the wee hours of the morning or dusk.

Yup. Can't agree more that the rrp is not cheap and 17-55 is indeed tempting but I've had that few occassions where I just wished I had more zoom and getting the 17-55, though a great lens, would land me in the same situation. Hee... Just want a set that can cater to most situations as I don't think I will have a preference to just shoot a few selected kind of shots. I would probably just snap as and when I have the 'feeling'. Locally, I would think that I might tend to use more zoom than wide. Probably wide for travelling.

Will look at the Tamron 28-75. Have not really considered much 3rd party lens yet.

TS, you do know the rrp for the 15-85 is not quite that cheap right? Pretty close to 17-55. My personal opinion is at that type of price, a 18-200 or a 17-55 might be a more worthwhile choice. You sound a bit like trying to collect lens to complete the focal length:bsmilie:

How often do you use or wish you have a super tele lens? Some people only use 70-200 for what they shoot, while some others don't even own a lens longer than 85mm. All depends on what you shoot.

If you are looking for a uwa and a little bit more reach than the kit lens, you might want to consider getting a tamron 28-75 with a canon 10-22. With these, you will probably not need to upgrade for a long long time.

great pics. exactly my point of having a tripod if you plan to shoot some nice sceneries. i hardly shoot landscape but the timing for beautiful light is always in the wee hours of the morning or dusk.

Really nice pics! Whore this thread with more pics please!

Flash and Tripod is suggested time and again. I definitely intend to take such shots in the furture. Especially night shots. I am pretty fascinated by some of the light effects in some of those night shots. However, I definitely cannot see myself lugging a tripod to Japan. Will probably buy one after my trip.

Flash and Tripod is suggested time and again. I definitely intend to take such shots in the furture. Especially night shots. I am pretty fascinated by some of the light effects in some of those night shots. However, I definitely cannot see myself lugging a tripod to Japan. Will probably buy one after my trip.

its not that heavy if u get a travel tripod. just chuck it with the check in luggage when u fly. and only bring it when u go out for morning or night trips.

I bring a tripod almost everywhere I go. When I climbed Huangshan (yellow mountain), when I went to bali, if you get a travel one, it is not that heavy. And I put my luggage inside my check in luggage. Even sometimes, when I only use the tripod once or twice in the whole trip, it is worth it.

I have a pretty ok tripod set up which is quite heavy (Manfrotto 190xprob + 488rc2). My 2 other tripod are $60 aluminum ones that I travel with. One here in SG, and another in my other home in Shanghai. When I travel I will bring the cheaper ones. So I will not hesitate using it to bash the head in of anyone trying to steal my camera equipment. :devil:

Last edited:
hey guys, sorry to hijack your thraed kookk, but since all of you are suggesting flash, what flash is suitable for a 500D?

newbie here :) just bought mine over the weekend :p

Hahaha congrats TS.
You see, so many people with different comments!
Therefore I won't add more to confuse you.
Just kind what you like to shoot more and from there, you will know if you need a zoom or prime or wide angle or micro! ;)
Regards
Lomo

I bring a tripod almost everywhere I go. When I climbed Huangshan (yellow mountain), when I went to bali, if you get a travel one, it is not that heavy. And I put my luggage inside my check in luggage. Even sometimes, when I only use the tripod once or twice in the whole trip, it is worth it.

I have a pretty ok tripod set up which is quite heavy (Manfrotto 190xprob + 488rc2). My 2 other tripod are $60 aluminum ones that I travel with. One here in SG, and another in my other home in Shanghai. When I travel I will bring the cheaper ones. So I will not hesitate using it to bash the head in of anyone trying to steal my camera equipment. :devil:

bali is a fantastic spot. been there twice. last trip was early this year. the padi fields, tanah lot, etc. wonderful. but i did more street shooting though. :sweat:

hey guys, sorry to hijack your thraed kookk, but since all of you are suggesting flash, what flash is suitable for a 500D?

newbie here :) just bought mine over the weekend :p

get the 580 II if you can afford it. the features and specs u get for the amt u pay will be worth it.

Just rent your lens for holidays !
18-200mm (day) + 17-55mm (indoor/night) + flash (will do)
The new ultra portable flash is great & enough ! 270EX.:D

actually I would say that flash and tripod are quite essential for a holiday shoot, if you're intending to come back with WOW shots.

If you want to shoot with long exposures in order to smooth out the water surface, what do you need? Tripod.

If you shoot against a slightly bright background and need some fill light, what do you need? Flash (or reflector perhaps).

Japan's night scenery is pretty fantastic, especially around a large metropolis like Tokyo. You'll regret not having a tripod!! :devil:

on my recent trip to Bali, I brought along 18-135mm kit lens, 50/1.8 prime, travel tripod and SB400 flash. Very compact.
The body + 2 lens and SB400 could all fit in Crumpler 5million$home, and the tripod slung over shoulder. Not very heavy as well.

Last edited:
ha ha it really depend on his priority.
photo or tour ;)

If joining tour group, where got time ...

actually I would say that flash and tripod are quite essential for a holiday shoot, if you're intending to come back with WOW shots.

If you want to shoot with long exposures in order to smooth out the water surface, what do you need? Tripod.

If you shoot against a slightly bright background and need some fill light, what do you need? Flash (or reflector perhaps).

Japan's night scenery is pretty fantastic, especially around a large metropolis like Tokyo. You'll regret not having a tripod!! :devil:

on my recent trip to Bali, I brought along 18-135mm kit lens, 50/1.8 prime, travel tripod and SB400 flash. Very compact.
The body + 2 lens and SB400 could all fit in Crumpler 5million$home, and the tripod slung over shoulder. Not very heavy as well.

Yo bro, thanks for the posting for that car rental company. I used their service and I was impressed. I just got back from Bali yesterday. My 2nd trip there, and my first and only honeymoon. I am missing the Babi Guling from Ibu Oka already. Damn nice.

Yo bro, thanks for the posting for that car rental company. I used their service and I was impressed. I just got back from Bali yesterday. My 2nd trip there, and my first and only honeymoon. I am missing the Babi Guling from Ibu Oka already. Damn nice.

You're most welcome!
I miss the Babi Guling too... :) yum... ~slurp~

Didn't get too many WOW shots from my trip as the weather was not on my side. The "fantastic" sunset at Jimbaran was hidden behind a wall of clouds.
Got some portraits of my gf with my 50/1.8, which left her duly impressed (ppl are such suckers for thin DOF :) )

Hmm... Still can't convince myself on the tripod yet. Most of my luggage will be left in Tokyo for most of the trip and I will be backpacking to Kyoto, Osaka and Hakone. I would probably be expecting to carry some of the load for my wife too especially if she goes a little crazy shopping. Maybe, I might just bring the free crap tripod that came with the camera and if it pisses me off lugging it around, I might just dump it. Wahahahahah!

Just asked my friend to get me the 55-250 from HK since it is cheap. Will toy around with it before thinking of getting the more expensive lens. Will probably bring the 18-55, 55-250 and 50 f1.8 to Japan. Maybe a flash and the crap tripod. You reckon I am set to go like this?

ha ha it really depend on his priority.
photo or tour ;)

If joining tour group, where got time ...

No tour. Hate tours.

DIY at my own pace. Will be there for 10 days.

1 day in Tokyo - 3 days in Kyoto - 1 day in Osaka - 1 day in Hakone - 4 days in Tokyo - Return to SG

Will be leaving most of my luggage in Tokyo when I do my round to Kyoto, Osaka and Hakone.

Status
Not open for further replies.