Lousy encounter with D7D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokrot

Jun 2, 2003
Hi,

Was taking shots when the D7D hung up on me. Could not press the shutter nor I was able to turn off the cam. The only solution then was to remove the battery. Upon turning back on, My last dozen Jpgs and Raw were goner. ;( Now trying to recover back the images. Hope this won't happen again.. :angry:

Sorry to hear about this. :(

I've not had anything as severe happen, but imagine if you were on an important job such as a PR shoot or a wedding.

The worst crash I've had with my D7 was I had one file corrupt after shooting continuously.

The answer may be as simple as taking the time to reformat your card every so often. However, I'd make sure you take some notes of this failure and write to whoever you bought the camera from and copy Minolta.

Take care,

Pete

fuzzybuster said:
Sorry to hear about this. :(

I've not had anything as severe happen, but imagine if you were on an important job such as a PR shoot or a wedding.

The worst crash I've had with my D7 was I had one file corrupt after shooting continuously.

The answer may be as simple as taking the time to reformat your card every so often. However, I'd make sure you take some notes of this failure and write to whoever you bought the camera from and copy Minolta.

Take care,

Pete

Thanks Pal... The CF felt very hot. Probably CF or the Camera malfunctioned during that time. I lost couple of best shots during the Istana shooting..Feel really very sad.. :cry:

tokrot said:
Thanks Pal... The CF felt very hot. Probably CF or the Camera malfunctioned during that time. I lost couple of best shots during the Istana shooting..Feel really very sad.. :cry:

If I were you, I wd get the service centre to check the cam.
As I intend to upgrade to a 7D, I am rather concerned about yr having this problem.
I understand lockouts can happend when shooting long bursts but I don't think you wd be doing this at the Istana. May I ask what CF card were you using?

tokrot said:

CF felt hot? i'm not familar with 7D's design. but, is the batt compartment and CF slot next to each other? from my own ex-300D shooting experience, after a series of burst, the batt compartment area (also hand-grip & CF card area) does feel hot when using a mircodrive. on dpreview, some one mentioned dats due to the read-write cycles. mebbe same problem? :dunno:

mpenza said:
sounds bad. hope you have a backup during that time.

Hi Mpenza. thanks.. but it's impossible to do backup as you shot right? ;) Anyway, the shots are gone forever.. :(

AncientMariner said:
If I were you, I wd get the service centre to check the cam.
As I intend to upgrade to a 7D, I am rather concerned about yr having this problem.
I understand lockouts can happend when shooting long bursts but I don't think you wd be doing this at the Istana. May I ask what CF card were you using?

well..I dun think the Cam malfunctioned. Anyway, I was shooting couple of RAW + Jpeg at the same time. I cannot conclude where the problem lies unless it fails on me again, I wouldn't be sending to KM Service centre. Thanks for the highlights.. :angel:

Edit: The CF was a gift by CP.. I think it's silicon brand or something..

nightwolf75 said:
CF felt hot? i'm not familar with 7D's design. but, is the batt compartment and CF slot next to each other? from my own ex-300D shooting experience, after a series of burst, the batt compartment area (also hand-grip & CF card area) does feel hot when using a mircodrive. on dpreview, some one mentioned dats due to the read-write cycles. mebbe same problem? :dunno:

I am not sure.. but I will try to simulate the probs again. If again to simulate, I will probably send for repairs. Hanging on me during important shots is no go for me.. :)

Well,

I just did a test a minute ago. I had a couple of continous shooting with Raw + Jpeg until buffer is full and turned the cam off. The cam will stop the shooting and refused you to off the camera and it was flushing the buffer into the CF. I can see the red light operation still on going. It was just exactly the same as last evening. But if my memory served me well that I only had two Raw + Jpeg shots just before the hang so I rule this scenario out. Just for your general info.. :embrass:

I've had camera lockup a few times since I've started using it. The last time was when I was shooting a wedding!!!! AAHH!!
Luckily I was able to keep shooting as I had my D7 film camera as a backup!!

I was also shooting in RAW when lockup happened. As I remember it I was shooting with the camera held with the vertical grip and had fired off a few shots in continuous mode. I think I had taken 5 shots and they were all corrupt!!
When lockup does happen you cannot turn the camera off, the only solution is to take the battery out which is why the images are lost...
Hopefully its fixable with a firmware update.

Thankfully I have not had a lockup in about a month.

But other than that its a really great camera and I would highly recommend it!!

Paul :)

tokrot said:
Hi,

Was taking shots when the D7D hung up on me. Could not press the shutter nor I was able to turn off the cam. The only solution then was to remove the battery. Upon turning back on, My last dozen Jpgs and Raw were goner. ;( Now trying to recover back the images. Hope this won't happen again.. :angry:

Do you think that the camera is writing the information into the CF card and buffer is full?

It takes time to write onto CF and the camera can't be shut down while the data still being write onto the card. By removing the battery from the camera terminate the process so of course those pictures that were not save all lost...

Just a possibility...

Hart

Agetan said:
Do you think that the camera is writing the information into the CF card and buffer is full?

It takes time to write onto CF and the camera can't be shut down while the data still being write onto the card. By removing the battery from the camera terminate the process so of course those pictures that were not save all lost...

Just a possibility...

Hart

Yes., but with two shots buffer full not possible right?? :embrass:

cham4807 said:
I've had camera lockup a few times since I've started using it. The last time was when I was shooting a wedding!!!! AAHH!!
Luckily I was able to keep shooting as I had my D7 film camera as a backup!!

I was also shooting in RAW when lockup happened. As I remember it I was shooting with the camera held with the vertical grip and had fired off a few shots in continuous mode. I think I had taken 5 shots and they were all corrupt!!
When lockup does happen you cannot turn the camera off, the only solution is to take the battery out which is why the images are lost...
Hopefully its fixable with a firmware update.

Thankfully I have not had a lockup in about a month.

But other than that its a really great camera and I would highly recommend it!!

Paul :)

So I guess I am glad that I am not the only guy with the lockup... :sweat:

Flare said:
Hmmm...

Well, I have no idea what could be wrong tho, but CFs do fail. And imagine a CF failure near the end of an assignment... Disatrous!

Quite true maybe next time will bring my portable storage along just in case. Backing up every 200 shots taken... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.