Loose lens mount

pwnies5600

Oct 29, 2014
Clementi
Just wanted to ask fellow experienced photographers, has anyone encountered the lens mount on the body becoming loose after a few years? The mount on my new 7D II has a little tension to it when mounting lenses (about the last 3/4 of the turn before it clicks in place), but on my older 700D which I've had for 4 years now, any lens will just slide and click in place. In terms of how secure the fit is, they are both more or less equally secure, but just that when mounting the 700D offers no resistance at all in the turning motion.

Just mildly concerned, so I was wondering if anyone has similar experiences, or perhaps suggestions. Should I leave it be? Or perhaps should I send it to Canon for them to take a look? Thanks in advance :)

I wonder if Canon would treat this as a warranty issue? You may not have suffered any ill effects so far but that does not mean that it wouldn't happen in the future particularly if the fit is extremely tight.

I've had this issue in the past also but it only happened with certain lenses and I think that they were 3rd party lenses. So in my experience, I had no case.

It wouldn't hurt to approach CSC and see what they say. The only cost would be time and effort. Keep us posted.

Haha warranty long over liao, and it pretty much happens on all of my lenses (canon, tamron, sigma, etc.) but only on the older 700D. Probably sending it to csc by the end of this month, still have a few events to cover. Will update when I get it back.

New camera body will always have a snug fit. Well used ones will always feel loose as the mount wears down.

What you should watch out is a loose mount. The screws holding the mount to the camera body can become loose with constant use. Check the cross head screws are tightened down.