Looking for photography-related part time job

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyteo

Sep 14, 2005
aloyteo.multiply.com
hi i'm looking for any part time photography-related jobs like being a photographer's assistant or something like that. i do not own a dslr nor an expensive flash so i dun think i can provide photography services like shooting weddings but i understand most photographical concepts. i'm trying to earn some money on top of my daily savings so that i can upgrade to a dslr. please pm me if u have any lobang to offer, thanks;)

Hi, just to share with you that there are rental services for cameras and equipment here in this forum. With that you would have the equipment to shoot events and even weddings.

Hi, just to share with you that there are rental services for cameras and equipment here in this forum. With that you would have the equipment to shoot events and even weddings.

thanks for your reply. actually i'm still not used to dslrs. i'm thinking of buying one so that i can learn at my own time all the skills needed. renting equipment would not be feasible.:)

please noted that being a photographer's assistant you do not have the opportunities or not allow to shoot during assignments.

but being an assistant photographer, then you are suppose to shoot during assignments.

please noted that being a photographer's assistant you do not have the opportunities or not allow to shoot during assignments.

but being an assistant photographer, then you are suppose to shoot during assignments.

i dun mind either one ;) just trying to earn some money :D

i dun mind either one ;) just trying to earn some money :D

Obviously you can't differentiate these two right now.

tomorrow you can be a photographer assistants, if someone hire you.
But you need a few years of training to be a assistant photographer.

Obviously you can't differentiate these two right now.

tomorrow you can be a photographer assistants, if someone hire you.
But you need a few years of training to be a assistant photographer.

ok then i shall just hope of becoming a photographer assistant in the mean time ;)

hi i'm looking for any part time photography-related jobs like being a photographer's assistant or something like that. i do not own a dslr nor an expensive flash so i dun think i can provide photography services like shooting weddings but i understand most photographical concepts. i'm trying to earn some money on top of my daily savings so that i can upgrade to a dslr. please pm me if u have any lobang to offer, thanks;)

Hey saw the following advert on jobstreet....maybe u can try if interested ba.....gd lucks~!

Photographer's Assistant
(Singapore)

Requirements:

Class 3 driving license a must
No experience required
No age limit
Able to communicate in English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview invitations and status updates may be sent via email so please check your email regularly.

Email resume to pda_recruit@yahoo.com

Hey saw the following advert on jobstreet....maybe u can try if interested ba.....gd lucks~!

Photographer's Assistant
(Singapore)

Requirements:

Class 3 driving license a must
No experience required
No age limit
Able to communicate in English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview invitations and status updates may be sent via email so please check your email regularly.

Email resume to pda_recruit@yahoo.com

thanks for the recommendation :) but i dun own a driving license yet ;p

thanks for the recommendation :) but i dun own a driving license yet ;p
yo, Class 3 driving license a must for photographer's Assistant, some even want you to have class 2B and own a bike.

No camera doesn't matter, studio have alot, no Class 3 driving license? you want the photographer drive you around for shoots?
they don't even want to interview you.

no photography experience and no camera equipment ???? forget it. i dun event want to look at you.

to me. licence is optional. but not even basic equipments and knowledge and nothing....

i also dunno la.... i think even for studio maintenance working i also need to think thrice.

you said as long as can earn money ?

what kind of attitude was that ?

in photography. you work for passion. and your level of passion will earn you money when your works are recognised.

on a serious note. if i see a person coming to me asking for any jobs which got money can already. i will just ask the person to look for some other guys. reason because you did not show any basic passion for your work you want to apply for.

so please. i hope i did shine some light to what photography related employers think.

no photography experience and no camera equipment ???? forget it. i dun event want to look at you.

to me. licence is optional. but not even basic equipments and knowledge and nothing....

i also dunno la.... i think even for studio maintenance working i also need to think thrice.

you said as long as can earn money ?

what kind of attitude was that ?

in photography. you work for passion. and your level of passion will earn you money when your works are recognised.

on a serious note. if i see a person coming to me asking for any jobs which got money can already. i will just ask the person to look for some other guys. reason because you did not show any basic passion for your work you want to apply for.

so please. i hope i did shine some light to what photography related employers think.

aiyoyo alamak did u read my post carefully... since when and where did i state that i have neither photography knowledge nor equipment?? do u mean u only consider a dslr as a photographic equipment?

in terms of photography knowledge i would not say i'm superbly proficient in it but i dare say that it is as good as one could possibly get by self-learning through countless attempts and by reading photography-related publications. i did not attend any formal training nor did i have any mentor to guide me along. if u wish to see some of my photos i took with "no photography experience and no camera equipment ????", u may follow the link in my signature.

lastly, i feel insulted that u accused me of not having passion in photography.:( the fact that i'm looking for photography related jobs in an attempt to upgrade to a dslr strongly invalidate your statement. the reason for the upgrade being that my current equipment setup is increasingly posing limitations to my photographic creativity. moreover, its my passion for photography that drives me to understand the workings of a dslr thoroughly by obtaining one.

i hope u would read people's posts properly in the future and not jump to conclusions instantly.

aiyoyo alamak did u read my post carefully... since when and where did i state that i have neither photography knowledge nor equipment?? do u mean u only consider a dslr as a photographic equipment?

in terms of photography knowledge i would not say i'm superbly proficient in it but i dare say that it is as good as one could possibly get by self-learning through countless attempts and by reading photography-related publications. i did not attend any formal training nor did i have any mentor to guide me along. if u wish to see some of my photos i took with "no photography experience and no camera equipment ????", u may follow the link in my signature.

lastly, i feel insulted that u accused me of not having passion in photography.:( the fact that i'm looking for photography related jobs in an attempt to upgrade to a dslr strongly invalidate your statement. the reason for the upgrade being that my current equipment setup is increasingly posing limitations to my photographic creativity. moreover, its my passion for photography that drives me to understand the workings of a dslr thoroughly by obtaining one.

i hope u would read people's posts properly in the future and not jump to conclusions instantly.

my intended purpose of my previous post was to facilitate you in providing information or even the idea of how i or we are looking at when hiring a temp staff or permenant assistant.

nevertheless. its not jumping to conculsions. but i have to know what person you are when you started the thread with sentences like "i'm trying to earn some money on top of my daily savings so that i can upgrade to a dslr. " and "i dun mind either one ;) just trying to earn some money :D"

brother snowspeeder has expressed his thoughts by saying that you can rent off equipments and start shooting.

and you replied

"actually i'm still not used to dslrs. i'm thinking of buying one so that i can learn at my own time all the skills needed. renting equipment would not be feasible"

so if you want to learn at your own time, own target. why not take time learn already den become assistant.

now the idea you are giving is that you are working off to pay for an dslr. thats all. simple. and the idea is that your request is totally different from people in cs who has dslrs and hopes and find for opportunities to assist. some to the extend of working as assistant for free just to gain exposure.

i am not flaming you or what. but do please do a search around. and u'll get what i mean.

i also got to know some of my temp staffs in cs. and i know one who actually went around borrowing a dslr just to make sure that he has a tool for the job. and i must say. i am extremely satisfied with his way of getting things done and his enthusiam.

there are 101 pple out there who wishes to become a photographer one day. and 1001 out there who wish to own a dslr. what you can do is to have something to convince the photographer that you have that "something" that will worth his money in hiring you and of course based on your works...

its not entirely judgemental quotes that i must say.and if i was more critical. i believe things might have gone more worse.

u can feel insulted with my words. i can apologise. but i must say. i believe such comments are child's play to many out there. and you havent seen real real critisisms from the real pros yet. and that is when you will feel the stress and the pressure... ;)

It's a lovely saturday morning! :)
Well I'm not here to mediate, but pls let me share my thoughts again on my perception on things.

From aloyteo's pics, I can see his inclination toward learning photography and is indeed passionate about art. That is a good start.

However at the same time I must agree with glennyong's point of view to some extend, though he could have put it across in a better manner. As what he suggested, most employers with a discerning perspective would look at the attitude of a prospective employee (in this case an assistant); less of what he knows or his works. Some employers might even think: "If I'm gonna pay to hire you and to teach you, what kind of revenue can you generate for my business; in other words, what's your worth to me?"

I think that learning the techniques and art of photography is likened to learning how to repair a typewriter nad understanding its mechanics. But running photography as a business (and coming full time), is more than just that. It's like knowing how to use to typewriter to create novel - one that others enjoy reading; that's the art of the business and making it work!

It's a lovely saturday morning! :)
Well I'm not here to mediate, but pls let me share my thoughts again on my perception on things.

From aloyteo's pics, I can see his inclination toward learning photography and is indeed passionate about art. That is a good start.

However at the same time I must agree with glennyong's point of view to some extend, though he could have put it across in a better manner. As what he suggested, most employers with a discerning perspective would look at the attitude of a prospective employee (in this case an assistant); less of what he knows or his works. Some employers might even think: "If I'm gonna pay to hire you and to teach you, what kind of revenue can you generate for my business; in other words, what's your worth to me?"

I think that learning the techniques and art of photography is likened to learning how to repair a typewriter nad understanding its mechanics. But running photography as a business (and coming full time), is more than just that. It's like knowing how to use to typewriter to create novel - one that others enjoy reading; that's the art of the business and making it work!

thanks snowspeeder for appreciating my photos :)

i must say that it is indeed hard to link commercial photography and passion together. real photography is when one can shoot what he likes totally unrestricted. for me my passion lies more in landscape and nature photography than in studio photography.

i think right now i just concentrate on saving for a dslr first since without it everything seems impossible.

however if there are any jobs that do not require knowledge of using a dslr, i will gladly take it up. :)

i must say that it is indeed hard to link commercial photography and passion together. real photography is when one can shoot what he likes totally unrestricted. for me my passion lies more in landscape and nature photography than in studio photography.

i think right now i just concentrate on saving for a dslr first since without it everything seems impossible.
Saving for a DSLR is one thing, learning to shoot better in landscapes and nature can be something else.

But as others have put it across - attitude is important.

I take on assistants from time to time, and I look for the right attitude first, portfolio and experience comes last. That first impression counts a lot, and I've had a lot of horror stories with bad interviewees and bad PAs. There are those who'd abandon all responsibility and run off, and there are those with a rubber-time problem. And more.

There's also been some really good people whom I've come to work with this year and they are the ones I'd really bother with. One of whom went on to clinch an architecture photog award and another to win a prize at a competition. Along the way, one of them has now moved on to apprenticing under someone else, with my blessings. And we're meeting up this evening for a get-together, my current and former PAs and myself.

I take it that you are still young, in NS perhaps. Go find the right people to mingle with, shoot with, learn from. Opportunities do come around, but be willing to work to accomodate them rather than expect others to suit you. If you want, you can always look me up for a chat.

Cheers and good luck to your quest for knowledge and work.

Me, less words. But i fully agreed with what Azure and glennyong mentioned.

Good luck with your pursue and with a very positive attitude towards all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.