Looking for HD handycam with good sound recording (using external mic)

szeping

Jan 13, 2008
www.szeping.com
Hi, asking on my friend's behalf.

Criteria:
01. 1080 HD quality, don't really need a big sensor.
02. Must be handy (to be used on a long trip).
03. Expandable to use external mic for better sound recording, will need to do some interviews.
04. Perhaps normal mp4 video output (I'm not good in video, so not sure whether this criteria is fit? But she told me that she had problems working on Panasonic's video files?)

Please help to recommend a setup including the mic. Budget comes first, thanks! :cool:

Thanks kandinsky! Do you have other alternatives for stereo mic? And understand that there's no zoom function for GoPro, which might be a downside...

Tough combination, especially the last criteria. Only a few options to go with, mostly not very cheap:
Canon Vixia HF R32 ($sub1K online) ; available in NTSC only (good for US/Japan tour), almost perfect match except MP4 mode is limited to HD720p 30fps
Sony PJ790 ($2000+) premium consumer flagship- PAL only (if bought locally); almost perfect match except MP4 mode is limited to HD720p
JVC HM150U ($3000+) Small prosumer world cam NTSC+PAL (removable XLR handle); get this if you want to use professional XLR mic
Panasonic GH3 ($2000+)small DSLR world cam NTSC+PAL; Best video quality of the lot; Get this if you want good photos too!

BTW Canon HF M500's MP4 is in standard Def only.

Last edited:
Tough combination, especially the last criteria. Only a few options to go with, mostly not very cheap:
Canon Vixia HF R32 ($sub1K online) ; available in NTSC only (good for US/Japan tour), almost perfect match except MP4 mode is limited to HD720p 30fps
Sony PJ790 ($2000+) premium consumer flagship- PAL only (if bought locally); almost perfect match except MP4 mode is limited to HD720p
JVC HM150U ($3000+) Small prosumer world cam NTSC+PAL (removable XLR handle); get this if you want to use professional XLR mic
Panasonic GH3 ($2000+)small DSLR world cam NTSC+PAL; Best video quality of the lot; Get this if you want good photos too!

BTW Canon HF M500's MP4 is in standard Def only.

Thanks Bamboopictures! OK, let's say we can forgo the MP4 format, what else do you recommend? :)

Forgoing the MP4 opens you up to the world of Canon DLSRs (e.g. 600D, 650D, 60D), Legria flagships, new Nikon 5200. Older Sony flagships (eg PJ760, CX700) Sony VG10, VG20, VG30. Check out the Clubsnap marketplace for secondhand ones. If on a limited budget, consider Panasonic GH2 (720p25fps) and Panasonic SD90 (1080p 50fps). Both of these cameras have mic inputs but neither have headphone jacks.
You didn't list headphone jack as a criteria, but it is important as it is rare, and found only in premium models. The cheapest cameras with headphone jacks are Sony CX700, PJ760, PJ790, VG10, VG20. Panasonic GH3. However, you can still hack your own headphone jack via AVout on cameras like the canon DSLRs, SD90.

If you specify a budget the list could be a lot shorter.

If I 'm doing ENG and had to pack very tight, NX30/PJ760/790 hands down. The stabilizer on these are so good, you can leave your tripod and steadicam at home. You also save some weight on a wideangle adapter because these cameras are 26mm wide. For audio, I'll pack a senheisser G3 wireless lavalier set and a Rode videomic pro. For support, gorillapod focus, acratech leveler, weifeng 717 head and Cineskates. The entire production kit can fit into a large fanny pack.

For additional cinematic shots pack a OMD-EM5 with Lumix35-100f2.8 and M-zuiko 9-18mm. These can fit into a small DSLR holster!

Last edited:
Hi bamboopictures, thanks for your detailed recommendations!

She needs a small system, as compact as possible with a budget say under $1,000.

Last edited:
My recommendation for under $1000 for a compact camcorder with a mic jack will be Panasonic SD90
My strategy for achieving fantastic travel video and audio for under $1000 with pocket-sized gear: Sony RX100 pocket camera and zoomH1 audio recorder. Both will fit in a purse.
The RX100 has a 1" sensor (!!) capable of DLSR like quality video and photo, Much better than SD90. It just doesn't have the audio chops. Just get the interviewee to clap his/her hand before the interview starts and you can synch the Zooom's audio easily in post.

Last edited: