looking for cheap hdmi component cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bro
Look at the pictures TS provided...
NO WAY...

I am happy to be proven wrong, but this is my area of interest, trust me on this...

A convertor will NOT be a cable, eg the DVD Edge device (USD 400) can convert signals from composite or component to HDMI (digital), or a good AV amp with a decent video chip can do so, but that will cost a few hundred to thousands.

Cheers

maybe got leh... the middle got a convertor bah... might have missed that out... lol...

dun judge it too fast...

btw, i think one of the most alarming discovery is he said its not component, and composite instead... and picture quality of Full HD... think that one enuff to justify the cost liao... i wan 1 to plug from my comp to the tv liao...

Bro
Look at the pictures TS provided...
NO WAY...

I am happy to be proven wrong, but this is my area of interest, trust me on this...

A convertor will NOT be a cable, eg the DVD Edge device (USD 400) can convert signals from composite or component to HDMI (digital), or a good AV amp with a decent video chip can do so, but that will cost a few hundred to thousands.

Cheers

ya lah, u & i know... its close to impossible to have a cable that can do direct conversion without any convertors.

cos 1 is analog signal, another is digital signal. and most important... no matter what, analog can never replace a digital signal.

good component cable is useful to remove noise and misc interference, but still cannot beat a normal hdmi cable from a hdmi player to hd tv... cos digital don't really need to be afraid of such, cos its still like a lan cable transfering data over and not signal.

I have a few spare plugs and cables at home.

Send me the $180 and I will make you a cable just as you were told it is.

And I will fly over there and give it to you :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Failing that, you could always do your self a favour and buy a box with HDMI output :thumbsup:

Let me repeat this:

There is NO SUCH THING as a HDMI Component cable.

There are:
Composite cables
Component cables
& HDMI cables.

Bro, I think he's refering to HDMI to Component Video + Stereo Audio AV Cable.
See pic below. This is on sale at Amazon for U$29.99

41wA7CsVfsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Another one from DealExtreme at $7.50

sku_13188_1.jpg

Last edited:
Good that you found this, http://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B001IUQB2W

BUT....

See the comments, it does not work...

Component is analogue... HDMI is digital...

Hi petetherock (taken from a biblical sense :dunno:) my name is Peter also,

Anyway....

Like yourself I understand analogue/digital and so on ... "A technician of sound and vision for many years"

Thinking that this cable (to do what it is claimed to do) you would expect to see a box somewhere along the cable that contains the circuitry to make this cable happen.

But, if you consider SMD devices, this circuit could all be within the HDMI plug jacket.

But !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wether this cable does what they say it does or not, the resulting definition on the screen will be questionable.

This conversion circuit (analogue to digital) in a cheap SMD that is part of a cheap cable ....
what would expect the out come to be ?

To me, akin to watching a movie on a VCR played on a High Def Sony 50inch screen.

My suggestion to fongi is to forget the sales pitch (cables have good profit, Believe me I know), just buy an HD set top box with HDMI and be done with it :thumbsup:

Trust me when I say, " there is money in selling cables" .....

I am in the game. I can make more money in my pocket selling some cables than I would selling a HD Box.

Do I personally :dunno: .... no because I am too stupid and think of customer and not myself

:)

I agree with the part about "making more money selling cables". Not first hand info but my friend is in the audio/video equipment industry and used to work in SLS... He has shared with me all the fantastic and seemingly incredible stories of extreme high profit margins selling cables.

Just to ask a question.. sorry for the OT.

Is there a cable that has one end VGA (computer) and the other end component? Have searched many shops in SG but very few shops sell it and those that did is very expensive ( say, ~$50 ).

VGA is essentially component analog signal right? don't really need any chips/circuitry right? Is there a place that sells cheap VGA to component cable?

Thanks

Bro

Cheers

actually there is... cos the sales exc show me... but it's costly, at $180... i'm just thinking if there is a cheaper version... or else i'll have to up grade my box liao...:)

ok, so u are telling me that u want to buy a composite-hdmi cable or component-hdmi cable right? For use with your current box? But isn't it like clutching at straws? Your current box still isn't HD and hdmi works best with HD. Might as well upgrade your box right?

If your current box isn't HD, then the output picture still isn't HD right.

$50 for a cable is rather affordable bro...
Seriously....
Just to ask a question.. sorry for the OT.

Is there a cable that has one end VGA (computer) and the other end component? Have searched many shops in SG but very few shops sell it and those that did is very expensive ( say, ~$50 ).

VGA is essentially component analog signal right? don't really need any chips/circuitry right? Is there a place that sells cheap VGA to component cable?

Thanks

bro... trust me.... she do a demo using the normal and the hdmi composite cable to show me the difference...dat's y i oso abit stunned... is as good as a hdmi cable... btw the store is ''Audio House''... dat's y i'm checking to see if any bro here using this combi for their set

To fongi, you claimed the output is as good as hdmi based on the demo. Can you go back to Audio House and take a snapshot of this hdmi-composite cable and post it here? I'm really anxious to know how this looks like. I don't mind paying $180 if this thing really works.

i oso dunnoe wat dat cable is call in the 1st place... it just look like a very thick version of the composite cable, as was told by the sales exc, since the older version starhub box dun have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port, and to enjoy the full hd on those full hd channel, i'll have to use this particular type of cable, unless of course i up grade the box.
.. and 'no'', it's not 1 end 3 pin while the other is hdmi... it's 3 pin on both end... i'll find a chance to go back there when i can and take a pic and show u guys.... spending $180 on cable is like crazy, so i think i'll just up grade the box and save the trouble.... so to buy cheap cable, better to do online? or go sim lim tower?

i oso dunnoe wat dat cable is call in the 1st place... it just look like a very thick version of the composite cable, as was told by the sales exc, since the older version starhub box dun have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port, and to enjoy the full hd on those full hd channel, i'll have to use this particular type of cable, unless of course i up grade the box.
.. and 'no'', it's not 1 end 3 pin while the other is hdmi... it's 3 pin on both end... i'll find a chance to go back there when i can and take a pic and show u guys.... spending $180 on cable is like crazy, so i think i'll just up grade the box and save the trouble.... so to buy cheap cable, better to do online? or go sim lim tower?
Normally salesman have absolutely no technical knowledge over the products that they're selling, I wouldn't take their word for it. Mine advise? Upgrade to a high-definition digital set-top box and get the HDMI cable for $10 - $20, unless you're some videophile with the highest quality TV out there, then you can go for the $100 - $300 "gold" cable that is shielded against the EMP of a nuclear explosion (tongue-in-cheek). :bsmilie:

Normally salesman have absolutely no technical knowledge over the products that they're selling, I wouldn't take their word for it. Mine advise? Upgrade to a high-definition digital set-top box and get the HDMI cable for $10 - $20, unless you're some videophile with the highest quality TV out there, then you can go for the $100 - $300 "gold" cable that is shielded against the EMP of a nuclear explosion (tongue-in-cheek). :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: tks alot...

Shoulds like a component cable only with no audio.
He is having you on.

Go to LHS in Sim Lim Tower and get a decent one for much less.
If you are getting the HD STB, just a regular HDMI cable will do.

Read those links I sent you for more info.

Cheers

To fongi, you claimed the output is as good as hdmi based on the demo. Can you go back to Audio House and take a snapshot of this hdmi-composite cable and post it here? I'm really anxious to know how this looks like. I don't mind paying $180 if this thing really works.

:dunno: Are you not listening :dunno:

Hi Definition can NOT come from a non High Definition source ...... "PERIOD"

No trick cables will turn a low definition signal into a high definition one.

And it does NOT matter if it is a component output source.

It is just like plugging a Hi Definition Set Top Box into a non High Definition Screen and expecting to see High Definition.

If you just dont understand, I will give you a 50% discount and mail you one of those "magic cables"

I will still come out ahead by $80 and be laughing. :devil:

Excuse me :bigeyes: so where did the HDMI part come from in this story :dunno:

"Component to Component" will give you a better picture than "Composite to Composite" YES,

But if the Box is not HD, it still wont show in HD. Where did the "HDMI" come into the discussion from ?

Actually I am curious. What did the salesman at Audio House used to test the TV? Did he actually use a normal Starhub set top box, or a Hubstation or a Starhub HD set top box? Or did he actually use a DVD player to demonstrate? All will give you different results.

A normal Starhub set top box only have a yellow composite output for video. The other red and white are for audio only.

A Hubstation has an extra red, blue and green component output for video, and another red and white for audio.

A HD set top has the above 2 outputs plus a single HDMI output.

Only the HD set top box can output 1080i HD resolution, the other 2 can only output normal SD resolution. And as all video/audiophiles like to say, rubbish in rubbish out. You feed your TV a low resolution picture, don't expect a true high definition picture from your TV screen.

If you still can't convince yourself that the saleman is trying to pull a fast one over you, at least do yourself a favour, go back to the salesman, ask him to show you the actual cable, plus how he connect the TV and to what device. Best if you can take a few pictures, or take note of what is the name and model of the "HDMI component" cable. And we shall help you to expose the salesman, or if the salesman is right, all of us here can benefit from this "wonder" cable.

There are many marketing tactics and "sales talk" preying on ignorant consumers. You just have to increase your own knowledge and awareness to prevent yourself becoming another carrot head. As my marketing manager once told us, "Do not believe more than 50% of what Marketing tells you."

hmm.. ok..

but a VGA cable can be bought for $12, a component cable can be bought for $20~$30.. if there is no circuitry, how to justify the extra cost by approx >100%? I'm not sure whether it's ~$50 or $100.. it seems a bit flimsy and the shop doesn't seems to know much about the cable.. so didn't dare to buy. Is there any recommended shop to source for such cables? Seems like Best Denki, courts etc. all don't carry such cables.. Thanks..

$50 for a cable is rather affordable bro...
Seriously....

Status
Not open for further replies.