Jul 13, 2006
Please help...:embrass:

17-85 Is Usm

other than 17-85?
I heard 17-85 has bad performance.

sigma 18-200mm DC or tamron 18-200mm.
cover most of the range.

What kind of pics do u shoot more?

Personally, I have a sigma 18-50 f2.8 and a 70-300mm to cover my needs. I'll bring my canon 10-22mm for landscape too.

If you have the money, can consider the Canon 17-55 IS USM

blithevincent said:
other than 17-85?
I heard 17-85 has bad performance.
So, what did u 'heard' abt 17-85 that u wun wanna even give it a go?

Travel lens? Cover everything? 18-200. Wide to tele. Dun complain abt wide open quality.

Like the others said. Basically, when you travel, you wanna minimise the equipment yet maximise on the focal range, so 18-200 is a good compromise but also, as jsbn mentioned, don't complain about the quality.

Sigma makes a fairly decent 18-200mm lens which you can consider. Not too heavy also but not as fast lah.

If you want wide sweeping landscapes, then just bring a 17-40 and 1 50mm along lor.

efs 18-55 and 70-300. even if u spoil or lost it overseas, the loss is minimal

I always stick to my 17-40 4L and 70-200 4L. Dun really use the in between range.

Have fun

17-40L, the best travel lens. I get consistent good pics with it. Optic is sharp, lens is well built and weather sealed. Much better option than 17-85IS. If you up to a 5D or 1D you can still use it. 17-85 got to sell away.

I am currently using the 30D with 17-85 IS USM lens. So far images are sharp and colors vibrant. The IS really helps especially for night shots where there is no time to set up a tripod. Moreover the 35 mm extra reach allows me to zoom in when need be......should be adequate for most purposes

yehosaphat said:
I always stick to my 17-40 4L and 70-200 4L. Dun really use the in between range.

Have fun

Me too, unless you find lens switching a hassle which you will just have to get used to. On hindsight, it forces you to plan before hand what type of pictures you wanna take later. Missing out on the middle range? Just use your legs, a lil' sweating goes a long way to keep you fit :sweatsm:

17-85mm IS lens for travel

Alternatives

Canon 18-55 / Tamron 17-50 F2.8 / Sigma 18-50 F2.8
Sigma 18-200mm

Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS is the best, if u are willing to foot the bill for it. :)

For a single lens option that goes from moderately wide to short telephoto, look at:

EF-S 17-85 IS
pros: IS - its like traveling with a monopod, minus the hassles.
Range is quite good (28-135mm FF equiv).
cons: barrel distortion is quite pronounced at 17mm. It will show up if you are shooting straight lines like architecture. Not really a problem for portraits or nature.

EF 17-40 L
Pros: Outstanding build quality
It's a full frame lens.
Cons: image quality is only slightly improved over the 17-85
Still have some barrel distortion at 17mm.
Limited range (up to 64mm FF equiv - not quite up to traditional portrait length of 80-135mm)

EF-S 17-55 IS
Pros: Reputed to be the sharpest lens in its class for 1.6 crop
IS - see note above
Fast F2.8 constant aperture
Cons: Cost
Weight

Sigma 17-70
I don't know anything about this lens. But you can do your own research for it.

Quite frankly, traveling with only one lens is going to be a compromise and it depends on what you think is most important to you: is it cost, image quality, range, IS, or maybe the ability to share the lens with a FF camera. It is never going to be wide enough, or long enough, or fast enough. For me, the range and IS of the 17-85 won me over. If I go with only one lens, this is my choice.

Tamron 24-135 has been my travel lens since I bought it.

Used on 300D, 10D and 350D for travel.

So far, best result from the 350D cos 350D is small and the low noise control.

If you've got the budget and prefer to shoot tele, there are a couple of decent 1 lens options.
24-105L
28-135 IS
There are a couple of other active Canon threads on these 2 lenses if you are interested in them. As always, a large range single zoom lens option will always be a compromise just as a zoom is a compromise from primes.
I would probably select from either of those 2 based on budget because I rarely shoot wide and haven't really got into the whole ultrawide thing. The 28-135 is roughly half the price of the L.

18-200 covers wide to tele. unless you are very free to keep switching between wide and tele . Depending on where you go worry about dust entering whenever you remove the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.