Looking for a affordable cam; easy to click, good resolution and long battery life

granzon

Nov 12, 2007
Hi

I m looking for a camera for under $200 with the above features.

As I need to take photos of work progress in construction sites at times, I would like to seek some advice for some of the features I am looking for and what cameras would be suitable.

I needed it to be easy to click as at times. the shots were taken with difficult postures and if the auto-focusing isn't fast enough, I will get blurry pics and time is wasted. Sometimes, I have to take several shots in a row before I get one that is decent enough to show what I m trying to prove in a photo. Good resolution would be useful too; I m not very tech savvy so I m going along the line of more megapixels is safer (though I know that's not the real case) Would someone be able to kindly advise how many megapixels would be sufficient for normal shoots (as in to show work progress on sites)?

Long battery life would be useful as I need not replace batteries often since I need to be outdoors when I m taking these photos.

Compactness would be a good advantage too as I will be carrying lots more things in my pockets besides the camera.

I have had good experience with canon as my last camera is leaning towards them with the principal of "if it ain't broken, dun fix it" since I dun need to take extremely nice pictures, (just need them to be clear)

Thanks once again for the advice.
*If under $200 is difficult, I may consider a model under $300 if most of the features of what I needed can be found in the $300 model.

Hi

As I need to take photos of work progress in construction sites at times, I would like to seek some advice for some of the features I am looking for and what cameras would be suitable.

I needed it to be easy to click as at times. the shots were taken with difficult postures and if the auto-focusing isn't fast enough, I will get blurry pics and time is wasted. Sometimes, I have to take several shots in a row before I get one that is decent enough to show what I m trying to prove in a photo. Good resolution would be useful too; I m not very tech savvy so I m going along the line of more megapixels is safer (though I know that's not the real case) Would someone be able to kindly advise how many megapixels would be sufficient for normal shoots (as in to show work progress on sites)?

Long battery life would be useful as I need not replace batteries often since I need to be outdoors when I m taking these photos.

Compactness would be a good advantage too as I will be carrying lots more things in my pockets besides the camera.

I have had good experience with canon as my last camera is leaning towards them with the principal of "if it ain't broken, dun fix it" since I dun need to take extremely nice pictures, (just need them to be clear)

*If under $200 is difficult, I may consider a model under $300 if most of the features of what I needed can be found in the $300 model.

:dunno::think::confused:

Your requirements aren't actually very high. Any decent-brand PnS with stabilization will do. Not sure if they come under $200 though. Walk into any reputable camera shop and ask for a recommendation. Regarding resolution, the weak link seems to be your technique, not the camera. Maybe can read up a little on camera shake, exposure, ISO, shutter speed and stuff like that to understand how to get clearer pictures. Honestly though, i can't imagine how not to get clear pictures in a sunny construction site.

Last edited:
any Point and Shoot digicam using AA battery will suit your need, most are price around your budget, and they are mostly around 10 MP camera. should be more than what you need. just need to buy some spare AA batteries.

Go to any camera shop, and pick any camera for under $200. They should all suit your needs.

Hi

generally, you get what you pay. It may be good but not cheap and cheap but not that good.....

check out this guide. It is uk pricing but this will give you a good start.
2010-top-10-best-cheap-compact-digital-cameras

If you want long lasting batteries, one of the keys is that it has to be able to hold high amount of charge long and this won't be cheap.

Thanks, currently considering Samsung ES 70 or the Canon Ixus 130, though the latter is a tad expensive for my budget. (and I find the navigation buttons (the one with the macro) not "popped out" enough. Its too flat unlike my previous cam, the canon A420.

Also wish to check what is the cheapest camera with a function that enables me to mark for e.g. which photo is taken at which location.

For my work, which involve taking construction site photos and taking similar photos in different locations, it is very helpful to be able to mark the photo immediately after photo taking. And not wait until I go back and download the photos and have to second guess roughly the location where I took the particular picture.

Once again, help greatly appreciated for this newbie.

Maybe it is better for you to mark it down using pen and small note book according to the photo sequemce number. I have not come across a camera that has this particular "marking" function that you are looking for.