Long discussion on DPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lets get back to the topic title. " Resolution of Newspaper Photographs" When I read that, the 1st impression I get is how many dpi does Newspaper print in. Not like 640x480 or 1600x1200.

When I work for web I optimize my images to 72 dpi. When I need something done for high res, I submit my files to the printer as 300dpi (if its a raster job). If it's just vectors I submit it as an EPS file. So that where to me dpi is important.

So for me I don't post a 180dpi file on the web to be viewed by a browser cos it only reads 72dpi. And I cannot submit a 72dpi file to be printed by the printers. There are some tricks u can do to increase an already low dpi file to be printed, but of course there are some in herent quality loss.

So thats the direction I'm coming from.

Originally posted by mpenza

This is really unnecessary ;p Do note that the important "dimensions" is the 1280x1024, rather than the DPI.

Hopefully, you didn't have to repeat the process everytime you change to a bigger monitor.

chill! chill! I think bringing in vectors is OT *here*.... vectors are inherently dpi and resolution free...

Originally posted by lyrrad
Why is there no such thing as a 1280x1024 180dpi image?

And no it won't look the same because when u created the image, lets say in PS as a PSD file, u set the pixel size to 640x480.

:dunno:
Go back to school. Read some books, ask your teacher.

Don't spout nonsense in a public forum and expect to defend a factually incorrect statement when the masses are kind enough to point out your mistake.

So spoke the fat TROLL.:devil: :rbounce: :rbounce:

Wat did I state incorrectly? And wat nonsense am I spouting?

Originally posted by Sin

:dunno:
Go back to school. Read some books, ask your teacher.

Don't spout nonsense in a public forum and expect to defend a factually incorrect statement when the masses are kind enough to point out your mistake.

So spoke the fat TROLL.:devil: :rbounce: :rbounce:

Ok lets get back to the topic title. " Resolution of Newspaper Photographs" When I read that, the 1st impression I get is how many dpi does Newspaper print in. Not like 640x480 or 1600x1200.

When I work for web I optimize my images to 72 dpi. When I need something done for high res, I submit my files to the printer as 300dpi (if its a raster job). If it's just vectors I submit it as an EPS file. So that where to me dpi is important.

mmm, ok the newspaper is printed at lessay 2400 dpi (wow vogue daily!). the point previously raised was that the newspaper pix didn't have to be sharp and Vogue fantastic to be on the front page, so if the editor desp needed to use this 10px x 10px shot of saddam hussein eating murtabak he wd ask his layout man to rez it up (or just drag the corner of the marquee) until it fills the 4"x 4" space in quarkpress or pm7. the real image quality or info is still 10x10 but when it's going to press it's a 4"x4" image at 2400 dpi.

so there's confusion between the technical and the user part?

Why is there no such thing as a 1280x1024 180dpi image?

And no it won't look the same because when u created the image, lets say in PS as a PSD file, u set the pixel size to 640x480.

Let me use vectors vs raster images example.

Here we are talking about raster images. Where the file is described as pixels. Each pixel within the 640x480 holds a bit of information. So stretchin the image to 1600x1200 increases it wat? 2.5 times? So every 2.5 pixels (if tt is possible) carries the same info.

Wheras in vector images, image is described by mathematical calculations of points on the screen. Therefore, the image retains its 'quality' in spite of the size it is stretched or shrunk to.

We should just center our discussion on raster images since our displays are all raster displays and the way that digicams capture images is also in raster format.

I'm not talking about any stretching here, just view a 640x480 file at both 640x480 display resolution(about 42dpi@15inches width on a 19" monitor) and 1600x1200(106dpi but image dimension will only be 6inch wide.) display resolution. This will illustrate what I mean be dpi merely being a function of the output size.

So for me I don't post a 180dpi file on the web to be viewed by a browser cos it only reads 72dpi. And I cannot submit a 72dpi file to be printed by the printers. There are some tricks u can do to increase an already low dpi file to be printed, but of course there are some in herent quality loss.

So thats the direction I'm coming from.

You have the output size in mind when you specify the DPI.

Tell me the difference between the following 2 pics:

The first is a "3000DPI" pic:
aag.jpg

The 2nd is a "1" DPI pic:
aag.jpg

Ya that's why I say, u cannot drag a 72dpi file and resize it. Like wat u mentioned, sometimes like Computer Times, they just save the image from the Net then resize it larger then it was meant to be. And the picture come up horrible.

Originally posted by denizenx

mmm, ok the newspaper is printed at lessay 2400 dpi (wow vogue daily!). the point previously raised was that the newspaper pix didn't have to be sharp and Vogue fantastic to be on the front page, so if the editor desp needed to use this 10px x 10px shot of saddam hussein eating murtabak he wd ask his layout man to rez it up (or just drag the corner of the marquee) until it fills the 4"x 4" space in quarkpress or pm7. the real image quality or info is still 10x10 but when it's going to press it's a 4"x4" image at 2400 dpi.

so there's confusion between the technical and the user part?

erm relak relak... just some overlap of terms used leading to this...

Ya that's why I say, u cannot drag a 72dpi file and resize it. Like wat u mentioned, sometimes like Computer Times, they just save the image from the Net then resize it larger then it was meant to be. And the picture come up horrible.

oh u mean resizing it to ADD DETAIL? no of cos not... :)

ok lyrrad says what I just posted? is that correct? cannot ADD details.

while the rest says TECHNICALLY possible? correct?

Ehh. Actually both are the same image because ur URL is the same.

You have the output size in mind when you specify the DPI.

Tell me the difference between the following 2 pics:

The first is a "3000DPI" pic:
aag.jpg

The 2nd is a "1" DPI pic:
aag.jpg

correct.

which pic has a higher resolution when printed on the same paper size? (using your definitions)

a. 1600x1200 72DPI
b. 640x280 300DPI

I give up.

:rolleyes:

Ehh. Actually both are the same image because ur URL is the same.

Correct. This is to illustrate the point that the "DPI" setting is independent of the image resolution if it's not printed.

Originally posted by denizenx
ok lyrrad says what I just posted? is that correct? cannot ADD details.

while the rest says TECHNICALLY possible? correct?

cannot add details when u upsize. rasters.

but technically can upsize to anything u want...

Even if ur Screen reso is big, but ur print reso is low when u go to printers to print the output is different.

correct.

which pic has a higher resolution when printed on the same paper size? (using your definitions)

a. 1600x1200 72DPI
b. 640x280 300DPI

Status
Not open for further replies.