Lomochan needs camera guide :D

Lomochan

Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

Im new to this forum, and I find it pretty confusing as there is too many topics here.
So I shall simply just post in newbie corner.

One stone kill two bird :D

A short introduction :
Im interested in photography since pri school. I always brought my camera to school and just keep snapping.
I am only exposed to DSLR(+photoshop) when im in poly. I may not know anything about lenses, but I do loves to control the setting like shuttlespd and aperature. taking fast cars, landscape and nightshots(bcox of starburst ^^) are my favourite.

Currently, Im eyeing on G12 and SX30 IS canon camera. and where can i get it at good price ?
I hope someone with more experience can guide me :D Appreciated !!
Please do not introduce digital camera with no grip, and control :(

P.S : Pardon my ignorance.

Hi,

Im new to this forum, and I find it pretty confusing as there is too many topics here.
So I shall simply just post in newbie corner.

One stone kill two bird :D

A short introduction :
Im interested in photography since pri school. I always brought my camera to school and just keep snapping.
I am only exposed to DSLR(+photoshop) when im in poly. I may not know anything about lenses, but I do loves to control the setting like shuttlespd and aperature. taking fast cars, landscape and nightshots(bcox of starburst ^^) are my favourite.

Currently, Im eyeing on G12 and SX30 IS canon camera. and where can i get it at good price ?

First... welcome to CS. Hope you have an enjoyable stay here.

Second, please call individual shops up to ask for a quote for the price of whatever camera you are interested in. There is a list of shops in each price guide... and contact number too.

Third... all camera had grip (er... sorry... S95 might not have) or do you mean battery grip...

Hi TS, I can understand why you are considering the 2 above cameras,G12 is mirrorless and SX30 is 30X megazoom point and shoot.
For the price of either one you can get a decent entry level DSLR.You may have started working so you have the means to aquire them but consider value for money because the subjects you are interested in may be served by both but a DSLR has more options or flexibility
like longer telephoto although SX30 has the equivalent of 900mm in 35mm format but the image sensor is tiny.G12 may have some lenses
but DSLR is almost limitless.G12 is for those who want a lightweight camera to carry around and is small enough to be unobtrusive for
general photography.If you like taking action photos of fast cars then a high continuos shooting mode of at least 5 frames per sec (fps)
is required to stop the action and prevent motion blur.Do choose wisely.

Hi TS, I can understand why you are considering the 2 above cameras,G12 is mirrorless and SX30 is 30X megazoom point and shoot.
For the price of either one you can get a decent entry level DSLR.You may have started working so you have the means to aquire them but consider value for money because the subjects you are interested in may be served by both but a DSLR has more options or flexibility
like longer telephoto although SX30 has the equivalent of 900mm in 35mm format but the image sensor is tiny.G12 may have some lenses
but DSLR is almost limitless.G12 is for those who want a lightweight camera to carry around and is small enough to be unobtrusive for
general photography.If you like taking action photos of fast cars then a high continuos shooting mode of at least 5 frames per sec (fps)
is required to stop the action and prevent motion blur.Do choose wisely.

Bro... I think TS's G12 is powershot G12, it is not a mirrorless camera as in Panasonic G-series and GH-series of camera. It is a high end point and shoot.

SX30 and G12 is classify as prosumer P&S camera.

if i'm not wrong the pentax k-r should be the cheapest and most feature filled entry level DSLR. might wanna check that out.

though you may want to consider the brand as a whole rather than a cheap entry into shooting.

Actually my advise to TS was to know what photography you are into and know your own style of photography... ask yourself these questions:

1) What functions do I need (must have)
2) What functions is a good to have
3) What features is a must - more AF points, speed (shutter speed), high ISO performance, etc.

After listing these functions down, then go about reading different brands and models reviews from the net... do not dismiss any brands because you have not heard of them. Popular brands of camera include Canon (APS-C, APS-H and FF), Nikon (APS-C and FF), Sony (APS-C, FF, Mirrorless and SLT), Pentax (APS-C, Medium format, mirrorless), Olympus (4/3, m4/3, mirrorless), Panasonic (m4/3 mirrorless) and Samsung (APS-C, mirrorless)

After shortlisting those camera with the functions you wanted, then go to the shop and test them out. Get the one that you feel most comfortable with and be happy.

Be sure to look at our stickies on what and how to choose a digital camera.

[...] but I do loves to control the setting like shuttlespd and aperature.[...]
There is no shuttle left to set its speed. The last one just touched down, successfully :)

Actually my advise to TS was to know what photography you are into and know your own style of photography... ask yourself these questions:

1) What functions do I need (must have)
2) What functions is a good to have
3) What features is a must - more AF points, speed (shutter speed), high ISO performance, etc.

After listing these functions down, then go about reading different brands and models reviews from the net... do not dismiss any brands because you have not heard of them. Popular brands of camera include Canon (APS-C, APS-H and FF), Nikon (APS-C and FF), Sony (APS-C, FF, Mirrorless and SLT), Pentax (APS-C, Medium format, mirrorless), Olympus (4/3, m4/3, mirrorless), Panasonic (m4/3 mirrorless) and Samsung (APS-C, mirrorless)

After shortlisting those camera with the functions you wanted, then go to the shop and test them out. Get the one that you feel most comfortable with and be happy.

Be sure to look at our stickies on what and how to choose a digital camera.

Thanks, your advise are definitely useful to me ^^
I believe these questions are essentials :D I had already listed a few cameras , ready to take a note at them this weekend :D

Previously I used a canon dslr for fast cars yet I know nothing about "high continues shooting" .. hahas, I was told to "follow" the car direction to get the sharp image of the car and blurred background. the result is just as good :D though may not be *safe*...
At least now I know, thanks for your guidances...

I think a P&S camera which is able for me to have full control is good enough. Do not have to be a dslr since im consider myself as entry level. :D I do not play with lens.And I loves clear sharp images even with zoom & less noise photo for night shooting.

there is no shuttle left to set its speed. The last one just touched down, successfully :)

wahahahahahaha!!!!!:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: