Living on a Boat in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
everytime it rains and you are floating out in the open seas, good luck with not falling off the boat, especially in a thunderstorm :bsmilie:

anyone who has been in a boat when it rains will know what i mean. you need a really big boat in order to be stable in such conditions.

in singapore water not so bad lar. abit of rocking is good mah, like sleeping in the rocker bed when baby.

A 2nd hand 35 feet sailboat cost about SGD $30,000.00.
Mooring cost about SGD $300.00 to $500.00 a month and you get free parking, gym, swimming pool, garden & etc.

no so bad, $300 - $500 / mth.

public hdb season parking = $75?
join planet fitness / california fitness + parking = ??
join private swimming club = ??

in singapore water not so bad lar. abit of rocking is good mah, like sleeping in the rocker bed when baby.

maybe in singapore river is easy peasy. open sea is a different story.

assuming that you are not docked anyways. :devil:

no so bad, $300 - $500 / mth.

public hdb season parking = $75?
join planet fitness / california fitness + parking = ??
join private swimming club = ??

Yah... Sounds like a good deal to me actually...

Say capital outlay of abt $60K for a slightly bigger or newer boat, and pay $6K every year + maintenance cost... Seems like something I may be willing to do. Plus of course the freedom to travel out to sea when you feel like it...

Has anyone actually tried doing this?

Say capital outlay of abt $60K for a slightly bigger or newer boat, and pay $6K every year + maintenance cost... Seems like something I may be willing to do. Plus of course the freedom to travel out to sea when you feel like it...

You do and tell us cos likely only those outside of singapore ever done this kind of thing.
I wont cos I cant even sleep on the airplane, even on long haul 12+ hour flights.

Gas at a marina is also more expensive than at the regular petrol station. And you definitely burn way more fuel on a boat versus a normal car.

Maintenance is also not chump change either... can't just get a dry cabinet and call it good. :bsmilie:

Most people who get boats in Singapore never take them out, except once or twice, once they find out how much the whole thing works out too...

Last edited:
yes there are 3-4 families living in Raffles marina. go talk to them if you're interested in finding out more. but i think 100k is not enough for a comfy place to live in. plus you get a lot less livable space than a similarly priced HDB flat.

Just looking at all the basic stuff.

Engine had be kept running to generate electricity. Killer petrol cost.

Fresh water had to be top up frequently. Quite a hassle.

Telephone signal may not be good when further from mainland.

Forget about cable tv. You need satellite.

Shopping and bringing daily necessity on board will be cumbersome.

....Lidat might as well buy a tent and sleep in ecp? :bsmilie:

you wont have proper address. that would be a real disadvantage, seriously.

usually when someone says to live on a boat, it means the boat is moored at a marina. it would be really uncomfortable and inconvenient to be out at east coast or in the open sea.

in the marina you can get electricity from the pier and water as well. so you dont have to keep the engine running. that would be prohibitively expensive!

Why not just re-design your house & make it look like a boat? Have piped in sound of the waves & seagulls. Get a air freshener that smells like the sea. On port side of window paint land & starboard side paint open sea. Get a water bed & simulate as on the sea. Door bell sounds like a ship's horn. Toilet bowl seat cover replace it with a life buoy. Throw an anchor downstairs...................................

There are those built for living in... the boat is mostly docked, not meant to sail around but is classified as boat so as to get around the taxes I think.

667_saus_house_boat.jpg

I lived in a tree house on Punggol Beach for several years:

T7.jpg

Everything was free: free water, free fish, free coconuts, free firewood, free view etc until one day the council decided to put a chainsaw under my house. :bsmilie:

I lived in a tree house on Punggol Beach for several years:

T7.jpg

Everything was free: free water, free fish, free coconuts, free firewood, free view etc until one day the council decided to put a chainsaw under my house. :bsmilie:
You should have put sign.."Do not cut down - Home of endangered species". :sweat:

../azul123

There are those built for living in... the boat is mostly docked, not meant to sail around but is classified as boat so as to get around the taxes I think.
667_saus_house_boat.jpg

Discovery Travel Channel had one episode with Megan McCormick visited one such Houseboat, the pier was full of these houseboats docked "permanently".

Needs many considerations, waste management for one.. can't just pooped out in the water right? garbage needs proper disposal, how to get fresh water piped in, cooking? wah that is a fire hazard in itself etc..

Capital cost should not be more than 100K but I am sure like many things here, it will add up in some other ways, won't be cheap lah.

../azul123

... just imagine this > some folks decided to play punk at night, cut the ropes and let it float away.. and u wake up in some big ocean next morning. :sweat:

... just imagine this > some folks decided to play punk at night, cut the ropes and let it float away.. and u wake up in some big ocean next morning. :sweat:
I guess it would be no different then living in a flat... if someone has ill intent they can do more sinister things.

It has happened before read in the newspaper here I think, someone glued the main lock and set fire to the door?

../azul123

Just looking at all the basic stuff.
Engine had be kept running to generate electricity. Killer petrol cost.
Fresh water had to be top up frequently. Quite a hassle.
Telephone signal may not be good when further from mainland.
Forget about cable tv. You need satellite.
Shopping and bringing daily necessity on board will be cumbersome.
....Lidat might as well buy a tent and sleep in ecp? :bsmilie:

Engine is used only to bring the sailing boat in and out of the marina. Beside the moor there is land power and water points. For lighting you can go green. When you are out of sea you really hope you have no signal so nobody can disturbed you. Just ask yourself how much time you have spent daily for your tv?
There is alway a regular shuttle between mrt station and the marina.

you wont have proper address. that would be a real disadvantage, seriously.

Your address can be the marina address:thumbsup::thumbsup:

do it......... ONLY if you have a love for the sea and a love for that type of lifestyle first

if u are someone who wants to do it because of $ savings, cannot take cold showers, cannot make do without air-con and cannot get by with basic laundry..... a tree house like Sion mentioned, is actually a better option :)

you could well live on a refurbished barge or a floating fish farm..... and i have a few friends who actually do this and work on the fish farms off Changi..... with pet dogs and all.... and loving every day of it

Last edited:
do it......... ONLY if you have a love for the sea and a love for that type of lifestyle first

if u are someone who wants to do it because of $ savings, cannot take cold showers, cannot make do without air-con and cannot get by with basic laundry..... a tree house like Sion mentioned, is actually a better option :)

you could well live on a refurbished barge or a floating fish farm..... and i have a few friends who actually do this and work on the fish farms off Changi..... with pet dogs and all.... and loving every day of it

Yes must have passion for sea lifestyle, operating a fish farm at least cost SGD $250,000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.