LiveView Countdown Timer

loozhengyuan

Jan 16, 2010
I was using a Nikon D90 to film via LiveView . Out of a sudden , the screen appeared a small countdown which says , "LV 30s" then it counts all the way to zero and shuts the LiveView to ViewFinder mode . I felt the screen and its a little warm . Anyone know whats the problem ?

On the D90, the main sensor is used for live view. However, camera sensors are not really designed for extended "on time" like that and get very hot very quickly. So the timer is there to make sure the sensor is shut off and can cool down.

That's why DSLR cameras are lousy for longer videos.

Thanks Rashkae for helping very much . So if it cools , LV will last longer then it just did ? And what you mean by main sensor ( like is there a sub sensor ) ?

Apologise if i sound stupid .

Dear TS,

Your dSLR is still a camera, not a video camera. There are limitations as to how long a video shot you can capture. What captures the light from your objects onto yrr data card is the sensor.

It is not a full-time video camera sensor, so it has a 30minute limit, else your camera's sensor will just and fail. Please understand this limitation of the camera.

HTH.

Thanks Rashkae for helping very much . So if it cools , LV will last longer then it just did ? And what you mean by main sensor ( like is there a sub sensor ) ?

Apologise if i sound stupid .

there's always a user manual for any "error" related questions, try to read and reread your manual to get a better understanding of your equipment. :)

refer to your user manual page 51:
"Note, however, that when used in live view mode for extended periods, the temperature of the camera's internal circuit may rise..... To prevent damage to the camera's internal circuit, recording will end automatically......At High temperatures, the countdown display may appear immediately when live view mode is selected.

yes, when u see the LV shutting off, you will be able to feel the heat on the camera body, it is really hot. :bsmilie: