Lithium AA Batteries in Battery Grip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneoceans

May 12, 2006
Merry Christmas to all!

I have a Canon 350D and also a Battery Grip BG-E3, which works great (and also on a 400D). While on an overseas trip, I used it extensively (no flash) with 2700mAh NiMH batteries, but found that in cold weather (about 3 degrees C), it managed just shy of 500 shots. Despite the cold weather, it was not much better than my 720mAh Lithium Ion battery which churned out 400 shots before giving up (in the same cold weather).

Normally this is fine with me, but I'll be going on a trekking trip soon and will not have power for 7 days. The question I have is:

Can I use Energizer e^2 Lithium AA Batteries in the battery grip? They are not only much lighter than NiMHs, they will also provide a lot more power and cold-weather performance (albeit at higher cost). But will this over-voltage the camera? :dunno:

Otherwise, anyone have any solutions on how I can extend the shooting capacity of my camera? I only have one Lithium Ion (the other 3rd party one I have has diminished severely in capacity managing but 200 shots at most), and at most 2 sets of 6 NiMHs. They won't last more than 1600 shots. Expected weather is from 10 (day) to -10C (night, though should be sleeping during this time!). So this is a real concern.

I also have a pile of CR123s. Anyway to make them compatible? I know some Nikons accept CR123s lithiums.

Thank you very much for your advice! :)

the energizer lithium batteries are also 1.5v, like normal batteries.

I am using Eneloop batteries in the grips. Didn't bother to buy originaln batteries after my NB-2LH dies. Oh well, 6 pcs of Eneloop vs 2 piece of NB-2LH, eneloop is more economical.
Not sure about 1.5V batties, cos it end up 9V, compared to 7.2V~7.4V in NB-2LH.
Rechargable has 1.2V, x 6 = 7.2V

Last edited:
the energizer lithium batteries are also 1.5v, like normal batteries.

No they are not, they're 1.7-1.8V nominal voltage, which works out to a lot higher than the 7.4V - 7.4V in the normal lithium-ion battery. For Alkaline batteries, this is not a problem because the voltage will drop when the camera is draining power. But not the case for Lithium. Even so, can I still use Lithium Batteries in the battery grip? Has anyone tried so?

Thanks!

I've tried using AA batteries once because I forgot to charge my batteries. I have never attempted it again since then.

No they are not, they're 1.7-1.8V nominal voltage, which works out to a lot higher than the 7.4V - 7.4V in the normal lithium-ion battery. For Alkaline batteries, this is not a problem because the voltage will drop when the camera is draining power. But not the case for Lithium. Even so, can I still use Lithium Batteries in the battery grip? Has anyone tried so?

Thanks!

hmm, really? the spec sheet says that the nominal voltages for e2 lithiums are 1.5v as well.

i've used them in my s3is without any issues. btw, the voltage decreases as well during usage, but the discharge curve for lithiums is much flatter. and they're great for cold temperatures.

Last edited:

Thanks!
What's so special about Energizer® e²™ Photo Lithium batteries?
They provide exceptional life in cameras; they're lightweight and operate well in extreme temperatures. They are the world's longest-lasting AA and AAA 1.5 volt cells in high tech devices.

http://www.energizer.com.sg/product_faq_e2_photo.htm#Q1

I did about 1500 shots with Energizer lithiums. You might want to give it a try.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4516199&postcount=1

Hi in what circumstance did you use these Energizer lithiums? Was it for your normal camera or for a battery grip also?

For example, I used to use an old Canon camera which accepted AA batteries. Battery life was poor with Alkaline, reasonable with NiMH but fantastic with Lithium AAs. However, I have also heard of electrical devices spoiling when used with Lithium AAs due to over voltage (hence over current). Considering that putting 6 of them in series will result in a much larger voltage than 7.4V for the Lithium Ion, this is a concern.

Canon 450D with battery grip. Used all 6 of them at a go. The set was in my battery grip in Singapore until Korea (just before winter) and then back to Singapore again. I went through 2 set of 6 pieces. That was a year ago and all was well.

Hi in what circumstance did you use these Energizer lithiums? Was it for your normal camera or for a battery grip also?

For example, I used to use an old Canon camera which accepted AA batteries. Battery life was poor with Alkaline, reasonable with NiMH but fantastic with Lithium AAs. However, I have also heard of electrical devices spoiling when used with Lithium AAs due to over voltage (hence over current). Considering that putting 6 of them in series will result in a much larger voltage than 7.4V for the Lithium Ion, this is a concern.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have tested the lithium AAs in battery grip with Both Canon 400D and 350D - they provide fantastic power and stamina when shooting in the mountains without a source to charge my Li-Ons. :)

You're welcome.
.. and welcome back to this thread.

You were off in the mountains for the last 5 months? :eek:

5months in the mountains??? :bigeyes::sweat:

btw, how many shots did you managed with what batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.