Lines Across Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
Sometimes, when taking photos using a camera phone under certain fluorescent or other kinds of lighting will produce banding acoss the picture. Why is that so? Has it got anything to do with the frequency of the light?

Sometimes, when taking photos using a camera phone under certain fluorescent or other kinds of lighting will produce banding acoss the picture. Why is that so? Has it got anything to do with the frequency of the light?

P&S & camera phones are very susceptible to such banding, if you take pictures, it will not appear, but on video it will be very prominent. You only see it on your preview or video capture...

I see it on my SE K750i during preview and the photo itself. So what causes this to happen?

Fluorescent lights are not constant and will flicker at twice the input ac frequency, in SG, it's about 50Hz so it flickers about 100 times per second.
If you also get this banding with incandescent light (meaning like light bulbs, not fluorescent), then it's a different problem.
Does the problem go away with slower shutter speeds (not sure whether HP cam can even set shutter speed) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.