[Linerax's] A capture a week.

Linerax

Nov 19, 2009
Hi all! I'm new to photography, just got my DSLR on 3rd Jan! Currently 15 and studying, so to make sure I don't forget about my camera, I've decided to dedicate myself to a project like this. I'll try my best to upload a photo every week! They might not be exactly 7 days apart, but I hope I'll get to use my camera every week once at least. :)

I'll start off with a photo on 09|01|10:

4259406704_035e60d9c3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Went to Punggol Beach twice this week, didn't really make any progress. First trip with the 18-55mm IS was wasted, as many photos looked rather dull. Went a second time with the 50mm, too much shaking in each photo. Managed to find a decent one, and with some PP-ing, here's what I got. Didn't bring the title out very well. Will continue to shoot and learn from mistakes. :)

15 | 01 | 10 : Chained.

4277751917_a407fed6fd_o.jpg

very quirky, i like it! :)

Thanks for the compliment! Would've never in my life guessed that I'll receive a compliment from you. ;p

Still, as a beginner, each and every compliment means a lot to me, and is a source of motivation I guess. So thanks again! :)

Went for an outing with CSers today to catch the Punggol Beach sunrise! Did catch it, but I'm not going to share that here! Since the photo I'm posting (in my opinion) is nicer than that! :p

23 | 01 | 10 : Grunge.

4297531408_ea3ef1b4ba_o.jpg

This week has been very hectic, and with 3 projects due this weekend, I didn't have any time to shoot! But due to one of the projects being rather photography related, I brought along my camera and got some shots! :)

31 | 01 | 10 : Struggle.
4315658461_3757057f45_o.jpg

School isn't going so well. Wayyy too hectic! Still, I managed to take my DSLR out for a walk! Not many shots though. Moody. ):

Almost no PP was done for this shot, the sun's flare is as it is, hah!

05 | 02 | 10 : Flare.

4332729118_e44ed713cf_o.jpg

Didn't have a chance to go out and shoot this week since its the Lunar New Year! Decided to make do with whatever I could find in the house! It's part of the design of door, incase anyone wishes to know!

15 | 02 | 10 : Happy Valentines!

4356015335_5c2334e380_o.jpg

The past 2 weeks weren't exactly the smoothest, resulting in being have no time to dedicate myself to my camera, though I did try to take it out for some home-made shots, but that didn't work out too well. With my busy school schedule and loads of homework flooding it, it's getting pretty tough to find time for myself to go out and shoot. A tinge of sadness and disappointment, but things are looking up since the next week will mean the end of my exams, for me. :) I'm slowly losing touch with photography, and I hope I'll get it back before I lose it altogether. I don't want photography to be another wasted hobby, and money. Nope, I won't let it happen.

I haven't found a way to shoot in the glaring sun yet, so photos taken in the afternoon aren't always good since the sun makes the lighting bonk out (for me), and also the inability to check your photos under the sun. This shot has a missing factor, and it's at is best, a lone tree. I'm not too sure what's wrong, but perhaps a little silhouette of a human under the tree might fix it. Still, there's no human there so what's done is done!

I present to you my first landscape photo posted in this thread.

28|02|10 : Stark Naked.

4393905867_f34fdc415f.jpg

C&C are looked forward to. :)

As for the photo I missed out last week, I'll find a day to replace it! :) And, I also have to get down to making my own watermark!

Last edited:
Had a workshop at Botanic Gardens this week, followed by an hour of walkaround and then a showcase of 2 photos from each school! The workshop didn't really teach anything except having the speakers talk to us about their experiences, but it was pretty evident the judges were devasted at the pictures picked by a few schools! No composition, no nothing, not much difference from a stray shot. But there were also the very nice shots, so I guess there were two extremes, the very good, and the very bad.

06 | 03 | 10: Alone.

4411005878_18a64713e6.jpg

Also, decided to apply borders and watermark to my pictures from now on! Watermarks are simple, but I find it nice, so.. heh. First attempt at framing today, not sure if it worked out too well. C & C please! :) Not much photoshopping done since I had to take photos in JPEG for the showcasing, just incase my photos were going to be used.

And here's the shot I'll be using to make up for the missing shot 2 weeks ago. :)

06 | 03 | 10: Up from below.

4410998014_040ef1dd35.jpg

This was also another shot from the botanic gardens! I guess I was really lucky. Placed my camera onto the ground into the bush, set the timer and let it tick. Wasn't expecting this kind of effect at all. :)

C&C appreciated for any shots. Please help me out if you can.

Didn't have time to go shooting last week due to camps, will try to make up for it ASAP! Rented the 24-105 f4 L IS USM this week, has been pretty fun so far. :)

18 | 03 | 10: Urban Relic.

4442176935_fa691b76a1.jpg

Last edited:
School work is starting to become very very hectic, so I'm unable to post photos weekly anymore. That doesn't mark the end of my passion in photography! I'll keep posting whenever I can, most probably more during the holidays! :)

07 | 04 | 10: St. Andrew's Cathedral.

4496564629_1f7b888f08.jpg

C&C please!

Last edited:
It's been some time since I've posted here, and being it a student I guess it's not possible for me to juggle both photography and studies at all. I'll be facing my streaming next year for my JC classes, something different from O level since my school doesn't have it.

I think this thread will just be updated whenever I can, and maybe more photos at one go. :)

This time up, it's my short trip to China and Hongkong, so I'll be posting a couple of photos instead of one per week like this thread is supposed to be about.

Wrinkled. by Linerax, on Flickr

Fairytale. by Linerax, on Flickr

Alone. by Linerax, on Flickr

Ruins. by Linerax, on Flickr

And a little more..

Overcast. by Linerax, on Flickr

(My only successful shot of panning!)

Panning shot! by Linerax, on Flickr

Bird's Eye. by Linerax, on Flickr

That's all for now.

I'm trying hard to save up money to buy a tripod and also a ND110 filter, so maybe there'll be better photos the next time I update! :)

Comments & Critique welcomed with open arms, as always.

Good job! Keep it up lad!

Good job! Keep it up lad!

Thanks for your kind words! :D

Had a trip down to King Albert Park recently, pity I didn't manage to get good shots of the tracks, so I had to improvise and get my friend to pose for me instead! :bsmilie:

Waiting. by Linerax, on Flickr

An almost similar, yet differently processed shot!

Longing. by Linerax, on Flickr