lighting question

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
Scenario: would one use a rather large light tent and use a flashhead with a smaller(relative to the size of the light tent) softbox, with another flashhead with a snoot? both flashheads are outside the tent. subject are food items. many thanks.

Scenario: would one use a rather large light tent and use a flashhead with a smaller(relative to the size of the light tent) softbox, with another flashhead with a snoot? both flashheads are outside the tent. subject are food items. many thanks.
light tent suppose to diffuse the lights, why would one use a snoot on a light tent?

and light tent is originally design to use on highly reflective subject like with chrome metal or very high contrast. the lighting effect of the light tent is very flat, nowadays people using it for product shots selling at ebay or blogshops.

if the photographer using the light tent can get good and decent lighting on the food shots, than he already achieve what he is looking for.

so, it seems that the tent is redundant since generally, food are non-reflective. besides, spots are usually meant to be a harsher light. using it from outside the tent seems to defeat the orginal intent. right?

Last edited:
the only time i use a light tent for food is when i'm shooting food products but that's more into product photography than food photography.

guess got to see what you want your desired result to be.

Just use an umbrella to bounce the light

Light Tent is the old generation. Nowdays photographer like to use Portable Product Lightbox with Built-in Lights. It's very portable, simple, quick and easy to setup, just need AC power to switch on the Built-in Lights, and Snap Snap Snap. This is interesting for people who just start in product photography.

http://lens4lease.com/images/Accessories/Lightbox.jpg
http://lens4lease.com/images/Accessories/lightbox_2.jpg

For me, to get a decent photo for commercial shoot I won't use this box.

actually the scenario i mentioned was the scene of a photo shoot at a cafe i passed by recently.