Light meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohck

Jan 23, 2006
I am in the USA right now and looking to buy a light meter to help me in my photography.

Is a light meter important or useful to my photography?

Which light meter would you advise me to buy? IS there any particular brand that you will advise me to look at?

I am looking at the Sekonic L758DR and L358 light meter. The L358 take incident and reflected light but not spot light. The L758 is the highest range light meter for Sekonic and do incident, reflected and spot light.

Please do advise.

hohoho... first of all what kind of photos do you photograph? from there it will be easier to advise but i reckon the L358 is adequate for most shoot.

I am in the USA right now and looking to buy a light meter to help me in my photography.
Great :) USA is wonderful for buying gear :)
Lightmeter will help you get the correct exposure, so all you have to worry about is composition. It depends also on the type of photography you want to do, for example,if you are doing streetshooting, running up to your subject with the incident light meter might change the scene/mood.

Is a light meter important or useful to my photography?
You could do without one, if your camera has metering. Of course the incident meter would be the most accurate. Using the light meter as a flash meter is very useful, but can probably be replaced by shoot & chimp.

Which light meter would you advise me to buy? IS there any particular brand that you will advise me to look at?
Sekonic have a range of them :)

I am looking at the Sekonic L758DR and L358 light meter. The L358 take incident and reflected light but not spot light. The L758 is the highest range light meter for Sekonic and do incident, reflected and spot light.

The L-358 can do spot metering, but you'll need to buy the attachment.
I use the L-358 purely as an incident meter. It comes with a lumigrid for taking reflected readings, but to use it, you have to take the lumisphere off to put the lumigrid on, something more to carry. My camera can take reflected meterings anyway, so I use the camera for that. If you want it to do it all, then the L758. To have a 1 deg spotmeter seems useful for certain situations too :)

Please do advise.

Hope it is helpful, ask more if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.