Life's setbacks and experiences to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Chicken soup for the CS soul...

In view of the recent spat of unfortunate events that led to loss/injury of precious lives, for eg Caleb (fellow CSnapper) who lost his dear mother and is now pushing to get back on track, 2 former NUS grads who died in a similar road accident in the US, the NS boy who died after allegedly being mistreated, 2 bright Singaporeans undergrads murdered mysteriously in Australia..... how do you view life?

Well, put in another way, what are some of the setbacks you've experienced and are there any lessons u learnt or that made you stronger? I'll give a couple of egs to start the ball rolling....

You studied very hard for an important exam only to realize later you had a mental block or you intrepreted the question wrongly leading to a not-as-desired grade;

You worked well in a project only to let someone else backstab you or get the final credit;

You lost a big sum of money in a business venture that left you struggling to make ends meet;

You broke an expensive camera by dropping and felt heartache for many days or weeks...

These are all possible life events that could happen to all of us... but then, at the end of the day, when we talk about life and death, do all of them matter? How do you view life in its bigger perspective?

kiwi2 said:
Chicken soup for the CS soul...

In view of the recent spat of unfortunate events that led to loss/injury of precious lives, for eg Caleb (fellow CSnapper) who lost his dear mother and is now pushing to get back on track?

Update on Caleb from his church website-

Thursday 16 Oct - Caleb has started speaking and even eating a little. The hospital covered the hole at the throat temporary and plan to seal it tomorrow if all goes well. Father and sons have been talking ever since. Thank God for good family bonding time. Continue to remember them before the Lord.

Continue to pray for the court trial on 20 Oct.

Tuesday 14 Oct - Caleb is much improved and is transferred to IMC (Intermediate Care Unit)! He is wide awake and responds well when spoken to. His eyes could connect with ours during conversations. He smiled when we tried joking with him! He even waved goodbye to the doctor! He can walk a few steps and can communicate by writing on a piece of paper. Even the nurses are amazed at his recovery.

Well said, kiwi.

Falcon said:
Well said, kiwi.

Thanks. :) I'm glad Caleb is doing well. It must be difficult for him and his family. We'll pray for his speedy recovery...

Hmm, no contribution at all about how people view life huh...Each day passes us by "juz like dat" perhaps.... Or maybe this posting is too cheem. :)

image_1962.jpg

Perhaps one should see things that have happened as something that was meant to make us stronger and there is nothing we could do to prevent it from happening.

Teerex, very beautiful caption and picture you have there. I think CS should have more shots like this with words that can uplift the human spirit. It makes photography much more powerful as a tool of commumication.

"Perhaps one should see things that have happened as something that was
meant to make us stronger and there is nothing we could do to prevent it from
happening."

Yes, well said and I agree with this one. It tkaes strength, courage and maturity to say this to ourselves. Very often, when something undesirable happens to us, the immediate tendency is to blame it on others or the environment. Or even to start thinking "what if..." we had done or hadn't done this and that.

Even in failed love relationships, I know a few people already who keep thinking about the past and relive the moments not as a learning process but as a means of not wanting to let go something they know is not going to come back. This is detrimental, as progress cannot be made and the affected person will just spiral into more despair. Same goes for other areas of our lives, such as a failed business, a setback in academic studies, etc.

It is always easier said than done. The human condition for tackling setbacks varies form person to person and how each experience provides the platform for strength for the next one. There will always be certain events or experiences which will impede us from moving forward; it is only natural. Without emotions, we are not humans and we should not be afraid to confront these experiences time and again, just so that we understand the humility of life.

kiwi2 said:
"Perhaps one should see things that have happened as something that was
meant to make us stronger and there is nothing we could do to prevent it from
happening."

Yes, well said and I agree with this one. It tkaes strength, courage and maturity to say this to ourselves. Very often, when something undesirable happens to us, the immediate tendency is to blame it on others or the environment. Or even to start thinking "what if..." we had done or hadn't done this and that.

Even in failed love relationships, I know a few people already who keep thinking about the past and relive the moments not as a learning process but as a means of not wanting to let go something they know is not going to come back. This is detrimental, as progress cannot be made and the affected person will just spiral into more despair. Same goes for other areas of our lives, such as a failed business, a setback in academic studies, etc.

my cycling community just lost 2 fellow cyclists some time ago within 1 week of each other.. one was killed by drunk driver whilst cycling, the other was also killed by a car. morale was at a all time low at www.togoparts.com that time..

Kiwi2, thanks. Will try to create some and post them periodically as inspirational messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.