Life Span of CCD sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
Hi...

Just wonder.. Any body knows the lifespan of the CCD sensor found in the digital camera?

JusticeBao

I also have a similar question.

i am hunting a 2nd-hand Fuji S602Z. Since it has been 2+ years since it was first introduced. So the ownership could be 1-2 years, and owner may shoot for 1k frames already.
In such case, are the CCD as effective as they suppose to be? If the CCDs are less sensitive, how does 1-year of using effect the CCDs?

Thank you.

AFAIK, there's never been any report of a CCD wearing out yet.

Just to give you an idea, my Coolpix 5000 developed one stuck pixel and one very hot pixel over about 2 years and about 4000 shots. So, in a way, they do slowly wear out.

:bheart: So if you don't use the camera, the CCD just go into waste! Just want to know.. has it gotten a shelf life or it depends on the usage.. just hope that some expert out here can enlighten us on the CCD!

Well, it'll definitely wear out eventually, and even faster with usage. That said, the actual lifespan would depend on the manufacturer's choice of transistors. I would expect this choice to be dependant on the predicted amount of time before it becomes obsolete.

So the old faithful 35mm film camera is still a better choice. Keep them and U never know that you will need them one day say after ???? years when your digital camera 'ka-put'.

Maybe those related magazines/websites can do a review on the subject.

Yappy said:
So the old faithful 35mm film camera is still a better choice. Keep them and U never know that you will need them one day say after ???? years when your digital camera 'ka-put'.

Maybe those related magazines/websites can do a review on the subject.

Well, people opt for digital cameras for versatility and convenience e.g. you can't do an instant ISO switch when you need it with a film camera. The digital vs film issue has been debated to death many times over. At the end of the day, both have their fair share of pros and cons - people will end up buying what they prefer eventually.

for the record, i think some of us here, myself included, have clocked more than 100k shots on our CCDs. Any complains? Yup, lots of dust and dirt. No dead pixels yet.

szekiat said:
for the record, i think some of us here, myself included, have clocked more than 100k shots on our CCDs. Any complains? Yup, lots of dust and dirt. No dead pixels yet.

I think it is a good indication. BTW what camera do you use? Anybody out there had done more than 100k?

Status
Not open for further replies.