Lian He Zao Bao Table Tennis Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

actionman

Mar 22, 2004
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone, am sharing some pictures taken during the Lian He Zao Bao table tennis cup held over the recent weekend. I used to be a school player some 10 years ago but i still love the game even today.

1. The Lian He Zao Bao Cup was held on 21st and 22nd May at the Toa Payoh Sports Hall. This year saw a record high of 890 participants spread across 6 catogeries.
ab2af02ad648f311bc9bc8ab787b28ce-.jpg

2. Floor action during one of the rounds of the Lian He Zao Bao Cup
d041781c42607811098f4bd1b79acf79-.jpg

3. Getting ready to receive the serves
7181db026bf18dfbb5b334b3598fa3d0-.jpg

4. A competitor in the U19 catogery doing a offensive forehand flick.
34ab68e67b51b3fc67aae51cb1bb40f9-.jpg

5. Due to the high participation, all matches up to quarter-finals were played on a single knock-out system with the best-of-3 games (11 points each). From the quarter-finals onwards, the matches were played on a single knock-out system with the best-of-5 games (11 points each).
b8c336db8984a49fc35a8d7778189ebd-.jpg

6. The U-12s catogery featured some of the brightest budding talents in Singapore.
6d568ff3dab7f3b25f138474790e3e17-.jpg

7. Eventual Boys U-19s Champion Zhang Sai in an offensive move.
6b1db8aad76e67a450d530df8170819f-.jpg

8. A competitor doing a back hand return
870aed01dcc02e3d461b79ff99b7dfb2-.jpg

9. Coaches from both camps giving pointers during intervals
5491f5c23e3f6b7155061595b93785d8-.jpg

10. A player hitting an aggressive top spin attack.
e324c031c24cedafe3c4fc0aa5d82958-.jpg

sehsuan said:
Pak Siang, how about.... trying to go for extreme motion blur? You never know what you might get... :)

thanks for the suggestion, i think i know what you mean. maybe can try it this weekend. anyway think that this weekend will yield plenty of blur, oof shots, the play will be so much faster... :bsmilie:

using nikon camera with high ISO???

actionman said:
Using Canon 20D, exposures were made at is01600 and occassionally 3200

I remember that canon 20D got very good control on the ISO at 1600..i wonder why yrs is more noisy?

GENO said:
I remember that canon 20D got very good control on the ISO at 1600..i wonder why yrs is more noisy?

Four letters - Crop. Unless you think most people have access to a 400/2.8 lens to shoot tabletennis from a minimum distance.

sehsuan said:
Four letters - Crop. Unless you think most people have access to a 400/2.8 lens to shoot tabletennis from a minimum distance.

actually i don't really have to crop too much for most of them, coz i was able to stand quite near to the action. But i underexposed (1/320 iso 1600 F2.8) the noise started coming out when i do the leveling, esp at the shadow (of course). The exposure is fine when i did iso3200 but the noise wll still be there.

thats why they still use the 1.8 for indoor sports...hehe....nice action though. The noise is really not objectionable, esp if u are using it for newspapers etc...

hi, im very interested in sports photography,how do you really get in up so close and crop in the entire person and never unintentionally cause blurring?tripod from afar?please give me some pointers thank you.

corporal007 said:
hi, im very interested in sports photography,how do you really get in up so close and crop in the entire person and never unintentionally cause blurring?tripod from afar?please give me some pointers thank you.

hello, as i have said, i was really quite close to the action, was standing just behind the barrier which about less than 5m from players. With a 200mm you should be able to fill up the viewfinder with the action! blurring... i kept to the old school rule 1/focal mm and in this case i know i am kind of shaky even at 1/200 so i force myself to go 1/320 hence the underexposure.

i don't use tripod, very clumpsy with it ;p

Any more pictures of Zhang sai?....he is my school mate:D

no. 10 and 12 do it for me... very nice shots there... agree with kiat that indoor sports are that much harder to shoot... the hall seems really dim... seems like u prefer "very close up" action... wonder if u had more shots like no. 10...

On the whole, i would say a very gd effort and i really like the comments... help person like me to understand the game better... keep it up!

londonray said:
no. 10 and 12 do it for me... very nice shots there... agree with kiat that indoor sports are that much harder to shoot... the hall seems really dim... seems like u prefer "very close up" action... wonder if u had more shots like no. 10...

On the whole, i would say a very gd effort and i really like the comments... help person like me to understand the game better... keep it up!

Yes i prefer close up action, because i like to focus on the expression of the players. i love emotion and expressions, and i feel that sports is one area where you can't possibly fake it while you are so focused to win.

for shots like no.10 i do have some more, but for some reasons i try to restrict posting all of them. Posting 10 pictures of player smashing does not help in covering the event to a great details. I'm still trying to learn, looking at the game from more perspective.

I posted another thread on the more recent SEA T-t championship last night. Made some adjustments hoping to improve the noise problem and composition.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199973

Status
Not open for further replies.