Lexus driver bang cyclist, drag bycycle for 2km, fine $2500..

I must say the sentence is TOO light!

No matter how ignorant the driver is, she still knocked down someone. Fortunately, it wasn't a fatal/serious accident. However, what if it was? :confused:

I think she just 'acted blur' and said that she has mistaken the sound for a branch. Even if that is a branch, it should be a VERY big branch, and she should still stop her car to investigate!

guys there is a local facebook group created to garner support for this.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_155417627836132

join if you think the sentence is too light.

anyone remember the old HK drama Hei Bai Hui?
WanZiliang.jpg

christmas is coming.

i wish for the safety of all individuals can increase for self and that of others.
1) that new ruling for all night cyclist to install headlights and tail lights- compulsory item , failure to do so is monetary fine. got money for bike no money for lights ? try harder. is life as a night cyclist worth less than S$50.00 ????

2) night jogger/ park users to wear blinker lights. please think ahead dun expect the stretch of usual path always well lit , help others to see you better.

Twice i saw 2 cyclist wearing dark clothes and no light watsoever and 1 lady jogger wearing dark clothing , 8 pm and 9 pm respectively.

East coast lighting for some stretch of the path is not well lid , and most are not prepared to make the safety the top priority to look into. why must someone get hurt in the process to drive a message , must someone suffer to bring a message??

vehicular drivers (motorbikes, van , car, bus, lorry I seen it all), well I can only hope that they can learn to grow up and be patient for others. uphill task really an uphill task.

christmas is coming.

i wish for the safety of all individuals can increase for self and that of others.
1) that new ruling for all night cyclist to install headlights and tail lights- compulsory item , failure to do so is monetary fine. got money for bike no money for lights ? try harder. is life as a night cyclist worth less than S$50.00 ????

The lights/reflectors, white light for the front and red for the rear are actually required by law. The people who chose to ignore this only make it dangerous for themselves and others. :(

So sad.

The results of the appeal is out.

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20101119-248066.html

No jail for driver who hit cyclist and didn't stop

By Chong Shin Yen

SHE was fined $800 for failing to help a cyclist she had hit.

The prosecution appealed to the High Court, asking for the driver, Cleopatra Wong Yuin Ping, 30, to be given a jail term instead.

But Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin dismissed the appeal.

The correct action should be appeal for a re-trial, not appeal for heavier sentence.

The problem with the case is how the prosecution failed to challenge the argument put forward by the defense, leading to a light sentence, and NOT the sentence being too light given that the argument/mitigating factors was (erroneously?)accepted by the prosecution.

Once the mitigating factors are not challenged and deemed accepted by the prosecution leading to a lessening of the "guilty level" of the accused, the sentence meted out has to be within a certain guidelines and there is no reason to increase it, unless the accused is guilty of a more serious wrong doing.

So, to impose a heavier sentence, the accused needs to be convicted of a more serious offense, which is possible only if the mitigating factors are properly challenged and "be asked" to convince the court beyond reasonable doubt.

To put it simply, for example, she didn't get a "hit & run" sentence bcoz she argued her way out of a "hit & run" act. Since she "hit a rotten tree trunk" which is not considered "hit & run" act and was believed by the prosecution, she wasn't sentenced to a corresponding "hit & run" sentence.

If prosecution challenged successfully against the "rotten tree trunk" story, and it is deemed to be a valid "hit & run" case, she'll automatically get a sentence that is matching of the offence.

Last edited:
Thank goodness the cyclist was not seriously injured/killed. However:

" It was apparent the cyclist unfortunately cycled in the middle of the road without appreciating the risks he was taking against all the lurking dangers he could encounter"

The left side of the vehicle.. just curious to know.. did the bicycle has any light on it?

If no.. well and if yes... U form your opinion

The left side of the vehicle.. just curious to know.. did the bicycle has any light on it?

If no.. well and if yes... U form your opinion

Please don't anyhow quote. It is not established that the cyclist is riding in the middle lane. The cyclist say he is on the left side of the road but the driver says otherwise.

I used to do night cycling with my camp mates nearly 20 years ago. When I now come to think of it, I begin to think it was really dangerous. We were without proper gears and lightings when we cycled.

But then, motorists that time were not so reckless and bold. There were many mobile patrols around, and those heavy vehicles and van didn't even dare to travel on outer lanes on the highway except overtaking! Now? Just look at our highway, heavy vehicles, vans, pickup, lorries, all travel on outer lanes like nobody's business. Even if faster moving cars were behind them, they don't even care a damn!

christmas is coming.

2) night jogger/ park users to wear blinker lights. please think ahead dun expect the stretch of usual path always well lit , help others to see you better.

Twice i saw 2 cyclist wearing dark clothes and no light watsoever and 1 lady jogger wearing dark clothing , 8 pm and 9 pm respectively.

East coast lighting for some stretch of the path is not well lid , and most are not prepared to make the safety the top priority to look into. why must someone get hurt in the process to drive a message , must someone suffer to bring a message??

vehicular drivers (motorbikes, van , car, bus, lorry I seen it all), well I can only hope that they can learn to grow up and be patient for others. uphill task really an uphill task.

well on the issue of light sentencing.... there is another case of an property agent fined for forgery..... I mean.... FINED???? it is outright cheating.. and he gets fined.... Hmmmm I mean one gets jailed for shoplifting and u forge and cheat... and u get fined....

Makes one scratch head.... LEXUS (BRANDED CAR) owner gets fined.... Property agent that potentially makes 5 figure a month gets fined.....

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_607266.html

Prosecutor miss the fact????? that she left Zouk at 5am still feeling sober??????,Singaporean loves their car so much especially LEXUS,did not bother to stop and check (falling tree trunk)unbelievable.One scratch they will SHOUT i will sue.poor people always suffer.:bheart: