Lets be honest here

At which stage in photography are you currently at?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyber_m0nkey said:
If DOF is not important then why not use Tv ?
Good question. Sometimes, it is just that one scene where shutter speed matters more, so since most of the time it's already on A (Av), I'll just adjust until I get the shutter speed I want. Save me the hassle of switching to S (Tv) and then back again.

JediForce4ever said:
I dont meter....just set to 1/100 , f5.6 and speedlite will do the rest.

how i wish i can use a single setting for my events.

for daytime,
iso 400, P mode, AWB.

nighttime,
iso 800, P mode, AWB.

only difference is the iso.

my job calls for delivery of pics,
and i can't change settings as fast as the
ever changing lightings of the bl**dy ballroom.

jude

No offence, Ian, but dun think ur classification works either. Those at 8) might still wanna be doing 0), n I believe, if they are trully 8), shd still be dappling a lot in 4)... my 2 cents... ;)

Ian said:
It's less actually as you never ever stop learning with photography.

I view the steps as:

0) Gear measurebater/wanker. - Talkin' **** about cameras and specifications.
1) Guesswork - you guess and hope/pray it works.
2) Informed guesswork - you are learning exposure theory and hoping it works.
3) Reduced guesswork - you knoow enough so that most shots work, most of the time.
4) Experimentation - trying and pushing your limits in all senses photographically.
5) Being called - attempting to make a living out of photography
6) Rejection - what happens to 99 out of 100 who try level 5
7) Godhood - Attaining the holy grail of being a professional phogotrapher and surviving.
8) Advanced Godhood - Shooting for Magnum Images.

*Tongue firmly planted in cheek* ;p

cavez said:
No offence, Ian, but dun think ur classification works either. Those at 8) might still wanna be doing 0), n I believe, if they are trully 8), shd still be dappling a lot in 4)... my 2 cents... ;)
Please note the *tongue firmly in cheek bit at the end .. means it's a joke post! ;p

Ian said:

Dont think many would admit (or even know it, yikes!) that they fall into this category :sweat:

why must the higher level makes money?

can the person be very expert but he doesn't want to make money out of his skill?

Paul_Yeo said:

can the person be very expert but he doesn't want to make money out of his skill?

I guess a simply test on how far you have gone is how much people are will to pay for your work heh heh.. Its quite satisfying whey people pay you and still tell you they adore your work heh heh.. No harm putting you pic on getty or shooting freelance and get some spare change for the years you ahve spent improving a skill you are passionate in right :) Beside one can only get better with constant and intense practice and I feel it only though some form of commercial work you are pushed to do better. You benchmark you work against another, attempt to learn and study anothers work to be better etc..

Exactly... that's why i said it's hard to define "stages in photography" :)
Even paid jobs are done in different ways. Some require just straight shots and some very artistic & creative. All depends on our clients... :dunno:

michhy said:
Dont think many would admit (or even know it, yikes!) that they fall into this category :sweat:
I'm such a person honestly. I take lousy photos and only look at what the tech spec says. I'm still hoping to get a 1DsMkII because of that full frame with 16.7 MP full frame CMOS sensor. Maybe the newer D2X with 12.4 mp (4mpix less:( ) is better? but I can afford none of the 2 now :cry:

I hope that a bigger, more high-tech and more expensive camera can help me take better pictures.

Right now I'm only shooting in Auto mode with my Fujifilm F11 with 6.3 mpix SuperCCD HR that promises better colours, better DR, lower noise and .... I better stop.. :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:

Eh, sorry if the vote seem misleading.
"Stages" means what you are currently doing with your photography.
There is no "level" or which is better, etc.
You can produce damn good photos with using "full Auto"
or be damn poor eventho "making money out of it"
Just wish to know how is everyone doing.

i'm under this "use basic settings on camera most of the time"

humm, I use 'M' mode on cam and and just learn recently how to use 'M' mode on flash to attain consistant exposure on all my pics. Didn't really trust the camera's metering. :think:

Anyone in the same situation as me?

I still sux now. :sweat:

yanyewkay said:
I'm such a person honestly. I take lousy photos and only look at what the tech spec says. I'm still hoping to get a 1DsMkII because of that full frame with 16.7 MP full frame CMOS sensor. Maybe the newer D2X with 12.4 mp (4mpix less:( ) is better? but I can afford none of the 2 now :cry:

expensive cameras tends to "push" you to get serious in photography.
Yeah, maybe getting one of those super expensive cameras may help :)

judeseah said:
how i wish i can use a single setting for my events.

for daytime,
iso 400, P mode, AWB.

nighttime,
iso 800, P mode, AWB.

only difference is the iso.

my job calls for delivery of pics,
and i can't change settings as fast as the
ever changing lightings of the bl**dy ballroom.

jude

Smart setting. In most situations, the camera is so much faster and smarter than us - so let the camera do most of the decision making. It is only in very rare situations that requires us to intervene to correct exposure, WB, flash or other settings.

Better to capture the pic than to try to get the perfect picture - unless you have all the time at your disposal.

Ian said:
It's less actually as you never ever stop learning with photography.

I view the steps as:

1) Guesswork - you guess and hope/pray it works.
2) Informed guesswork - you are learning exposure theory and hoping it works.
3) Reduced guesswork - you knoow enough so that most shots work, most of the time.
4) Experimentation - trying and pushing your limits in all senses photographically.
5) Being called - attempting to make a living out of photography
6) Rejection - what happens to 99 out of 100 who try level 5
7) Godhood - Attaining the holy grail of being a professional phogotrapher and surviving.
8) Advanced Godhood - Shooting for Magnum Images.

*Tongue firmly planted in cheek* ;p

this is all so wrong and not in sync with Clubsnap Idol, Ken Rockwell's Level for photographers!

ken is the key, he is the idol! read here and find out where u really stand in the photographic world!

hail Ken! hahaha :bsmilie:

happy holidays everyone!

i will use

1. Manual for under-exposed and over-exposed.

2. Av - if i want to get BOLEK effect.

3. Tv - for either shortest speed/faster speed (depends on the shots)

4. Program -
4a. too busy in shooting, no time to think.
4b. when i am lazy, need to take shot without think (without flash)

5. AUTO - when i am very lazy, need to take shot without think (with flash)

Status
Not open for further replies.