lesson learnt on memory card <<advice needed, if any>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, you said it. this is a painful experience.
gonna check with EG if they are willing to RMA or exchange for the extremeIII card.

frankly, the only good and extablished brands are sandisk and kingston. sandisk of course no need to mention, but kingston is the leader in computer rams and all kinds of memory stuffs, cf and sd card are just peanuts technology to them, too simple for them to make good & reliable ones.

but for ridata and transcend??? transcend maybe ok, they have a slight reputaton in the computer ram market, but ridata???? i dun understand why ppl dare to rely on brands like ridata, unheard of in many fields, at least to me.

however the one that disappoint me the most is lexar, dun wan talk abt this brand anymore

didnt look up much on lexar but i have the assumption that they are better than the kingstons and on par with sandisk.
wassup with lexar?

I have used 2x Transcend 4Gbytes 120X CF cards for quite time, so far it hasn't fail me yet.

Photo drive do have its problem too. I once dropped my Seagate 8Gb microdrive and lost 5 photos. (lucky not all) the sector was beyond repair so I have remap the drive to skip the sector else I will get error.

The Extreme 3 CF cards is good. The free recovery software can even recover from my HD... manage to recover 10k plus photos (about 60Gb) from my failed backup disk. :thumbsup:

i am now using a 2Gb and a 4Gb extreme 3 CF cards.

ya, tried the sandisk Rescue Pro. no such luck le.
checked thru the forums, realised that i wasnt alone on the Ridata fiasco.
Lexar and Transcend has its own problems as well.
the one with the least problems seems to be sandisk and kingston.

I managed to recover most of my images using Lexar's bundled Image Rescue 2.

The card was a Kingston Elite Pro and if I am not wrong using a card reader. Give it a try if you can get hold of Lexar's program. There were a couple other programs that I downloaded off the web that didn't work.

I managed to recover most of my images using Lexar's bundled Image Rescue 2.

The card was a Kingston Elite Pro and if I am not wrong using a card reader. Give it a try if you can get hold of Lexar's program. There were a couple other programs that I downloaded off the web that didn't work.

when my ridata 4GB failed i connected it to my digimate III and managed to save all the pics. TS should give it a try?

my new one with new packaging/design so far so good (cross fingers)

when my ridata 4GB failed i connected it to my digimate III and managed to save all the pics. TS should give it a try?

my new one with new packaging/design so far so good (cross fingers)

i dont have a digimate, but the only thing now is for me to keep trying, probably when i get back, i'll try if using a card reader makes any diff.

probably will purchase sandisk rather than the lexar for now.

There are cases of Sandisk Extreme failing as well. Similar to Lexar. These are after all electronics and failure do happen. Sorry to hear your experience.

As for RiData 4GB failure there is a thread sometime back, apparently there is a bad batch where there are high failure rate. Most that got it changed from EG are happy with the new replacement. http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266535

For traveling, best to use multiple smaller capacity card or use a hdd backup device. When using hdd backup device, I will retain the original image in the CF until really run out of memory cards. If really worry and nothing better to do just run backup twice. ;p

ya, granted there are lemons for all things mechanical/electronic. just fate i suppose.
but looking at the number of complaints, sandisk extreme III or ultraII seems to have a slightly better price vs reliability.

ya, i saw that thread. albeit too late. hah. :sweat:

what you said basically sums it up: smaller cards and frequent backups.
painful exp. although it was necessary, the way i see it.
(at least attempting to see it in a positive light)

Thanks for the headsup!

I've had a Ridata 140x 4gb SDHC from EastGear but haven't taken much shots with it.

Will bear this in mind.

Since the card is covered by lifetime warranty, bring it down to EastGear for a swap...if they have this in stock.

If not, then I reckon they'll have to order it in for you.

well see mr TanKM's post with the link.
just be careful la. cos once gone, its quite hard to do a take 2...

its not so much if its covered by warranty or not.
i rather they recover the pics than to give me a brand new ridata card man...

thinking of getting a 2gb sandisk extreme III CF since its more affordable now..... any bros saw any lobangs recently?

Searched the whole of SLS today... AP run out of 2gbs extreme III CF.. and the only other "will-not-chop-you" store in SLS which sells sandisk extreme III CFs is Active foto and the store beside it... but at $89.90... they are much higher than $72 which was the price at PC show.. :sweat:

how come didnt get it during the PC show then?
what about EG?

cos didn't want to squeeze with people mah.. :bsmilie:

from your first post.. you thinking of getting a extreme III also? AP at sls still have 1gb and 4gb ones when i was there yesterday.. just that no 2gb ones.. :)

Two is one and one is none.

Always do a backup after shooting. I carry three types of storage device when travelling.

1) CF card
2) NextoCF -> Backup 1 on my day pack as it is light and "carry on" for flight.
3) Epson P2000 -> Backup 2 in the hotel and as a "cargo luggage" for flight.

HTH.

i only use sandisk ultraII and better cards
bring more cards on a trip to allow more room for card failure:thumbsup:

cos didn't want to squeeze with people mah.. :bsmilie:

from your first post.. you thinking of getting a extreme III also? AP at sls still have 1gb and 4gb ones when i was there yesterday.. just that no 2gb ones.. :)

1gb have to change quite frequently if using RAW + jpg.
2gb is quite ideal, IMO.

xtemujin said:
Two is one and one is none.
Always do a backup after shooting. I carry three types of storage device when travelling.

good quote. :thumbsup:
well, that applies to not just travelling but for "mission critical" shots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.