lense availability and quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

captnj

Jan 24, 2005
Singapore
www.genesisgym.com.sg
Ok i am really serious about the 5d but b4 i buy just wnat ot know the availiabilty and price of a good longer lense like a 70-200 or so or even a 18-200

thanks

regds
Jonathan

The 3 new lenses 11-18, 18-70 and 18-200 will be flooding the market here once they arrive. Now, only the 18-70 is packaged as a kit set with the 5D. Separates will be available soon. I don't think you need to worry about any of these 3 lenses. These 3 should be pretty cheap as KM is trying to flood the market with the 5D.

The other lens you mentioned, 70-200, if you're refering to KM's 70-200 f/2.8 SSM G, maybe KM will bring in more when the number of KM users has reached their expected volume. Currently, you'll have to import it and it cost ard $3K +/-. the other option will be the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and again you'll have to pre-order. Note that this lens will not carry Sigma's HSM unlike Canon & Nikon mounts.

There are 2 more lenses that were launched with the 7D, the 17-35 f/2.8-4 and the 28-75 f/2.8. They are also available off the shelves in reputable stores. They cost at about $700 and $600 respectively. Both have excellent quality except a little purple fringing on the 28-75 from what I've observed, its not a big deal to me.

I am currently using a Minolta 70-210/f4. Its an old lens but works great with the 5D. This is the lens that Minolta made for leica also. If you're lucky you can get a great copy.

reno77 said:
I am currently using a Minolta 70-210/f4. Its an old lens but works great with the 5D. This is the lens that Minolta made for leica also. If you're lucky you can get a great copy.

Are you Serious???
I have one but i've ignored it completely once i bought my 80-200mm G!
Its the completely plastic one right?
The colours are nice but focusing is SOOOOOOOO slow...

If its really made for leica, I'll use it again!!:bsmilie:

Hiee...

Don't worry....the DT lens would be out most probably around end of the month.

Well here is the list of lens that are current...covering the range

Set A: (For those planning to move on to Full frame:(for the $$$) If you can affort all the new ones -
- 17-35 (D) - released with D7D
- 28-75 (D) - released eith D7D
- 70-200SSM (D) - Released near D7D - Need to Special Order
- Probably 11-18 for those now with 7D who want to go wider...

Set B: (DT ONLY Range) - smaller Image Circle
======
- 11-18mm (released with 5D)
- 18-70mm (released with 5D) - OR - 18-200 (released with 5D)
(Taking into account the 200mm as last limit and gives a FOV of 300mm aquivalent)

Set C: (Mix and Match) - for APS-C sized (D7 + D5)
=================
- 11-18mm
- 18-70
- 75-300

- OR -

-11-18mm
-18-200mm
-100-300mm

- OR -

-11-18
-17-35
-24-105

The rest of the lens are zooms & primes that can be found in the
Minolta lens list - Availability is quite low for now - Maybe will pick up.
Those that i have seen so far in local Markets:
- 50mm f1.7
- 50mm f.14 (new)
- 50mm f2.8/f3.5 Macro
- 100mm f2.8 macro (D)
- 100mm f2.8 Soft Focus
- 24-105mm
- 24-85mm
- 100-300mm
- 100-300 APO (Non-D)

rgds,
sulhan

You guys can also visit these few shops for 2nd hand lenses if available.

Reputable shops:
TCW - Peninsula Hotel Shopping Centre
Alex Photo - Peninsula Plaza
P & G - Adelphi

There are other shops too so just look out and not get cheated. Ask here if you wanna buy lenses you saw somewhere, for opinions or whatever like what to check, etc.

porshee said:
Are you Serious???

Its not plastic, its completely metal ;) . The plastic one is the newer 70-210/4.5-5.6 . The one I have is the older f4 model ( http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-...ryZ43493QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

I have a Sigma 70-210 f/2.8.... the predecessor of the 70-200 EX... very good lens but weighs a ton!

TME said:
I have a Sigma 70-210 f/2.8.... the predecessor of the 70-200 EX... very good lens but weighs a ton!
wah! 10mm more! :p

Drudkh said:
There are other shops too so just look out and not get cheated. Ask here if you wanna buy lenses you saw somewhere, for opinions or whatever like what to check, etc.

What abt those super old shops in China Town? Anyone with any experience?

-7- said:
What abt those super old shops in China Town? Anyone with any experience?
no idea. what i meant was, if you saw a lens you like, and not sure of whether the price is right, so ask around here to confirm if that shop is not a carrotcake shop. or at least you can go back and bargain if you like to. :D

Drudkh said:
wah! 10mm more! :p

Oh come on.. u know at the long end 10mm is nothing...

Hi all,

Think since Sulhan started listing out some lenses... below lenses are spotted in a shop... pay a visit and talk to Mr. Wong there...

Shop: Fotographix [Lucky Chinatown #02-19. Tel:62237217]

*heard that he usually opens his shop aft lunch till 8:00pm*

1. 100mm f2.8 Macro ---> SD$500.00 [previously display set]
2. 80-200mm f2.8 ---> SD$750.00 [previously display set]

Tested item 2 and its image is still perfectly sharp + superb!!! but fungus is visually there on the rear glass... go and have a look if u are on budget as this kinda price, I believe 2nd hand price can't beat this offer as well...

Cheers...

wow $750 for 80-200 + sent for cleaning still a very good bargain! :thumbsup:

Drudkh said:
wow $750 for 80-200 + sent for cleaning still a very good bargain! :thumbsup:

Precisely... but, do take a look at it :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
the fact that u din buy make me skeptical... :bsmilie:
he's from Area 51, be careful. :bigeyes:

It's not quite correct to say that "it is made for leica"

The 70-210 f4 maxxum/AF is of the same basic design as the 70-210 older minolta MD manual focus lens and the leica R 70-210 f4 elmarit zoom
But the leica lens' glass elements would not exactly the same, coating also not the same.... and the price as well.

One leica R zoom lens price can buy a KM 7D + 17-35 D + 28-75 D, think about that

porshee said:
Are you Serious???

Status
Not open for further replies.