Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlabu

Aug 10, 2008
Hi all. I'm currently using the 18-55mm lens for my 40d kit. What I'm interested to know is what does the figures (e.g 18-55mm) stands for on the lenses (If the number is bigger means it can zoom further is it?) and what is the ideal upgrade of lens for a starter like me. (Apparently, I feel that the lens isn't helping me out much cause the image ends up too far away) And also, are those lens with low figures (22mm, 18mm etc etc) wide angled lens? Thanks for clarifying. :sweat:

really depends on how / what you want to shoot. there are many lenses out there with longer focal length which may serve your needs.

if you have a budget of $1.6k, i would suggest the 24-105mm f4L. is a good walkabout lens with sharp optics.

if you are looking for something more versatile (i.e. wider range of focal length), then i would suggest the sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3, priced around $800. (that's the lens i started with). but you will lose the wide aperture at the 200mm end.

hope this helps, and happy shooting! :)

what is the ideal upgrade of lens for a starter like me. (Apparently, I feel that the lens isn't helping me out much cause the image ends up too far away) And also, are those lens with low figures (22mm, 18mm etc etc) wide angled lens? Thanks for clarifying. :sweat:

dun tink about upgrading. tink about fully utilising what u ve.

lens dun take pic by themselves.

image ended up "too far away" cus u are too far away from the subject. one very famous photographer said something like," if your pic is lousy, u are too far away".

dun tink about upgrading. tink about fully utilising what u ve.

lens dun take pic by themselves.

image ended up "too far away" cus u are too far away from the subject. one very famous photographer said something like," if your pic is lousy, u are too far away".

Lol i remembered when i had my kit lens last time, zoom in le, still too far away. so i move closer right smack in the face of the subject and happily snap away - of course that can't always be the case.

What kind of photography do you do ? that'll help us to recommend lenses to you to use :)

Lol i remembered when i had my kit lens last time, zoom in le, still too far away. so i move closer right smack in the face of the subject and happily snap away - of course that can't always be the case.

What kind of photography do you do ? that'll help us to recommend lenses to you to use :)

That's a good one......:bsmilie:

See if this helps you better understand what focal lengths are all about.:)

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

Hi all. I'm currently using the 18-55mm lens for my 40d kit. What I'm interested to know is what does the figures (e.g 18-55mm) stands for on the lenses (If the number is bigger means it can zoom further is it?) and what is the ideal upgrade of lens for a starter like me. (Apparently, I feel that the lens isn't helping me out much cause the image ends up too far away) And also, are those lens with low figures (22mm, 18mm etc etc) wide angled lens? Thanks for clarifying. :sweat:

The "ideal upgrade lens" is a lens that matches your requirements fully. Have you defined your requirements? First, understand focal length and all the other details around it (aperture, depth of field etc.). It's not just getting a 500mm lens and mounting the gun, there are more things to consider. Canon websites but also review sites in Internet can give more details about all the lenses available from Canon. Check www.kenrockwell.com , www.photozone.de or www.bobatkins.com for reviews of Canon lenses but also 3rd party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina).
Lastly, consider also your budget and have a look at the Canon Lens Price Guide here in the forum.
Don't get caught by the BBB virus :)

A 70-200 f/4L IS USM should bring your subects comfortably closer but it all depends on the situation in which you're taking picture - outdoor or indoor.

Status
Not open for further replies.